Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,121 to 5,140 of 6,556

Snatcher

@Link-Hero I love John wick, and I feel like anyone who has watched that movie, has to agree with what you said, your not even lying, i personally love how they do the kills, even if simple, I enjoy it. But i legit can’t even act like anything you said wasn’t true, I mean, it’s all true, lol. Pretty much what I’m trying to say as a John wick lover, I agree with you.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

@JadeKitsune @Link-Hero @Snatcher Actually watched the first John Wick movie with my mother last night, and it wasn't her cup of tea. It's definitely not for everyone.

Actually going to see John Wick 4 later, my friend is seeing the movie for his birthday today and wanted me to tag along. Looking forward to a movie and nachos again because AMC popcorn is usually stale whenever I go.

I blame the special showings of Trolls World Tour I went to last summer... those two theaters had actual fresh popcorn.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

jump

I'm not hugely keen on the John Wicks, I've seen the first two and they are enjoyable enough I just didn't buy into the world to want to see more of it. The same applies to Mission Impossible, Sicario, Jack Reacher, Has Fallen, Taken and a few other action flick series in the last few years other folk like.

Credit where credit is due I'd rate John Wicks above them as they are perfectly executed once you realise they aren't action movies but action homage movies. It's so deadpan you don't even realise the (loving) joke how of it's pointing at absurd the genre and they are just piling on cliche after cliche with the action sequences being nice and tight a bonus.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

I've not seen any of them apart from catching a bit on telly where someone got their face kicked off by a horse.

However, they can't be in the same league as Raid 1 & 2?

Raid 2 has a fight with hammers.

Also, they surely won't be as good as John Woo's HK films?

Edit: oh and Sonatine has a gun fight in a lift, which it just outrageously good

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Snatcher

I just love how the first movie is just pure anger, I mean your wife is gone, the love of your life, and the only thing she left you, was a puppy, and some jerks kill it, I would be in rage, only difference is johns got the skills to do it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Kermit1doesmath

We now live in a world where the first ever Tetris movie is rated R.

dysgraphia awareness human

jump

Rambler wrote:

I've not seen any of them apart from catching a bit on telly where someone got their face kicked off by a horse.
However, they can't be in the same league as Raid 1 & 2?

Raid 2 has a fight with hammers.

Also, they surely won't be as good as John Woo's HK films?

Edit: oh and Sonatine has a gun fight in a lift, which it just outrageously good

Well the first Wick film is a straight forward revenge film, a man gets attacked so he wants revenge. The second one has a turn which made it into a franchise where it’s all about a secret society of gangster assassins, which is where a lot people jumped on to it since it’s a franchise now in the same way people watch Marvel just because it’s Marvel.

Yeah The Raid films are great. I saw the first one with a Q&A with the director who took me for a surprise since he’s British. I had just assumed he would be Asian.

I prefer John Woo’s 80s stuff (particularly Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow) but I’m sure people in the 80s were talking about how John Woo films aren’t as good as those 70s Kung Fu films with Bruce Lee or The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin. John Wick is this gen’s kung fu movies which in 10-30 years later they will complain about how the new modern action films aren’t as good as John Wick.

I wouldn’t call it the best but my favourite martial arts film in recent years was The Man With The Iron Fist which caught my attention as it’s sounds like someone was making it up as I don’t understand how this film exists. It was directed by Wu Tang Clan’s RZA and it’s just this loving warts and all kung fu movie with a few big names like Russel Crowe, Lucy Liu, Dave Bautista, Gordon Liu, Pam Grier etc. The soundtrack is obviously brilliant too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump they could get sponsorship from Wickes, and use some of their tools as weapons. I might email Keanu with the idea.

Speaking of the RZA and films - have you seen Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai? It's Jim Jarmusch's idea of a gangster / ninja film. Very funny and cool. RZA does the music and has a cameo in it, and it's got some very nice homages / lifts from Le Samouri and Branded to Kill (which is one of my favourite films ever).

I remember that RZA film coming out but I've not seen it - sounds like one to check out.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

WoomyNNYes

Top Gun Maverick is now free with Amazon Prime Video. I watched some last night.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

WoomyNNYes wrote:

Top Gun Maverick is now free with Amazon Prime Video. I watched some last night.

The best part of Top Gun 2: Top Harder is spotting things you shoudn't like how they don't mention the bad guy country's name because they want to sell it internationaly or in the obligatory topless dudes playing sports scene they put Tom Cruise closer to the camera whilst everyone else in the distance to hide Tom's insecurities about his height using perspective.

Rambler wrote:

@jump they could get sponsorship from Wickes, and use some of their tools as weapons. I might email Keanu with the idea.

Speaking of the RZA and films - have you seen Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai? It's Jim Jarmusch's idea of a gangster / ninja film. Very funny and cool. RZA does the music and has a cameo in it, and it's got some very nice homages / lifts from Le Samouri and Branded to Kill (which is one of my favourite films ever).

I remember that RZA film coming out but I've not seen it - sounds like one to check out.

Yeah Ghost Dog is a really cool genre mix up and easily my favourite Jim Jarmusch film. I loved the soundtrack! I had intended to read the book he quotes throughout the film since it's a real Samurai book from ye olden times but I never did.

Which reminds me, as Forest Whitaker does a lot of character work and appears in fancy/interesting films a few weeks ago I decided to watch one of the films he directed Hope Floats. Jebus nailed onto cross it's so awful, I had to turn it off with 30 mins. It's the sort of bad melodrama that makes those CW tween shows look hard hitting dramas which is my own fault as I was expecting something like The Crying Game.

Nicolai wrote:

WoomyNNYes

@jump Yeah, one third in, and they're definitley revisiting, or re-making all the famous parts from Top Gun 1. It's like they looked at the youtube timeline for Top Gun 1 for all the most viewed spots, and they stuck thim into Top Gun 2. That's literally what I was thinking while watching it. I still have 2/3 of the movie to go.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

jump

@Rambler I think I’ve lost some respect for Forest now.

I actually saw that years ago, I think I was binging teen rom coms with someone I was going out with where it was sandwich in between the much better Easy A and Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. It was very bad, in particular there’s a big plot twist where Katie Holmes boyfriend unknown to her is a security guard dating her so he’s close enough to protect her that made me groan. I wished I had a tomato to throw at the screen!

@WoomyNNYes it’s fine for what it is but my main complaint about it is how paper thin all the characters are even compared to the original. Like when they killed off the guy from ER in the first one you cared he’s dead but here I struggled to remember who anyone is at all so I don’t care about them risking their lives. The planes zipping about are nice though.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

Just watched Beasts of The Southern Wild.
I'm going to stick my neck out and state that it's better than Hope Floats and First Daughter, despite not having seen either of them.

Actually, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long while. Hugely atmospheric, beautifully filmed, with astonishing main performances.

Rambler

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes How did you like it? I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Gamertag: DeePullThree
Switch Friend Code: SW-2321-5988-1019
PlayStation 5 User Profile: DeePullThree

Dpullam

Anyone know any good Netflix action titles I should watch?

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam I haven't resumed Top Gun 2 yet.

Speaking of action movies on Netflix, have you seen...... RRR? It's kind of epic, delightfully over the top at times. Here's the trailer that convinced me to watch it. (the dance scene is pretty sick, too)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes That is a movie that was added on my list by accident at one point! I didn't know if it was a good movie or not. It looked kind of unique from the image but didn't know if it would hold my attention. I watched Kate on Netflix recently and loved that movie. Also watched Gunpowder Milkshake and like that one but didn't love it. It had a unique premise though.

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam The movie was bit longer than I expected, but some of the scenes are so epic, I think it's a recommended experienced.

'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes Awesome! I appreciate the recommendation!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic