Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,101 to 5,120 of 6,568

Zuljaras

@jump From my point of view incels are violent and hateful because they did not get what they wanted. In their case a successful relationship

So, they act like the other side is in the wrong and that is why they build up hate. In my words they are screwed in the head by their own behavior and twisting reality. Maybe "disabled" was not the right word, I am replacing it with "mentally screwed"!

And I do not think that "not going out/having night outs" is producing incels.

Rambler

@jump
There's a Vox article that I stumbled upon recently that portrays him in a very negative light that has altered my opinion of him.
I won't link it here as it is, IMHO, triggering, but should be easy to find.

Rambler

jump

@Zuljaras Yep but their inability to form a connecting relationship comes from their inability to form a connecting relationship. We have seen the memes of incel pick up lines like "I want to be your knight and build a moat around you to protect you in our castle where I will listen to you talk about your feelings because I am a good guy and you are a good girl and we will be happy forever and ever" type drivel (which are sadly real, a mate of mine showed me some messages she got which were pretty much that) which is a massive red flag for women so they will ignore those guys because they lack the basic social skills to know how stupid that is which should have been built up in their younger years where failing to flirt wasn’t such an issue. If only there was some kind of public house, party or club where you can interact with people you don't know to improve those types of social skills.

Besides it's not just being an incel, it's being sad and a shut in too. I've already starting see the lack of street smarts and social skills in the yoof that couldn't go out in their party teen years because of lockdowns and those that did like they can't navigate through the city by themselves unlike those that went out drinking in the park at night and finding their way home from the clubs in the early hours or can't hold court when talking to people at work as they were never exposed to new and different people like when you meet randoms on a night out. I'm not saying all teens should as some will be shut ins no matter what but I am finding it sad that a big chuck of kids are lacking those basic life building skills now.

@Rambler Jebus, I only knew the details the one girl which he left America for because the DA offered him a deal and then backed out of it and definitely not how old that girl is in the article!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

Woo, another day of watching films whilst not working!

The Martian, after rewatching it I have to say what is maybe an unpopular opinion but it’s better than Blade Runner, Gladiator, Alien and all of Ridley Scott’s other films! It’s just delightful watching people using their smarts to solve problems. I’ve forgotten how deep the cast is too with Donald Glover, Sebastian Stan, Mackenzie Davis, Benedict Wong, Kate Mara etc in nothing roles.

The Gentleman, Guy Ritchie geezer nonsense but all jolly good fun. It’s a interesting plot point that the crusty old money families in the UK can't afford their massive estates so they have to sublet their land to drug dealers. Hugh Grant is great as an unlikable punchable prat.

Wrath Of Man, another Guy Ritchie film but now with added Jason Statham! It’s less bloke in the pub doing crimes and tries to be tense dark driven thriller which it succeeds at but not nearly as fun or as good as the likes of Lock Stock or Snatch which made Guy Ritchie.

My Best Friends Exorcism, I heard it being called this gen’s Ginger Snap so maybe it’s because I’m not a tween but I just didn’t feel it. There’s a few clever moments here or there however the tone shifts too much, things feel rushed, jokes are rubbish which is a shame as there might be a good film somewhere in it. Maybe the kids just like it because it's kids in the 80s doing Stranger Things things, it's so weird this forced pop culture nostalgia for a time they didn't live in.

White Noise, I was a bit disappointed by this as on paper Noah Baumbach behind Marriage Story and Frances Ha directing Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig again based on a famous clever book (which I’ve never read) should be a win, however I just found it all very muddled or maybe I’m just off and could not follow along with the movie.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Sunsy

For those of you who like Puss In Boots, The Bad Guys, and in my case, Trolls... DreamWorks revealed a new movie today. Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kracken.

Personally, liking how it looks so far. Ruby looks cute, and the animation looks great!

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Kermit1doesmath

@Sunsy huh, I didn't expect that. Looks like it could be decent.

dysgraphia awareness human

card-crunch78

If anyone remembers Hotel Transylvania 2 and how there was a line where Cakey (the Cookie Monster expy) says "the scariest monster of all is diabetes", and parents complained about that dark-comedic line so it got replaced with laughter instead after a couple weeks in theaters and then on home video and streaming, when the movie aired on FreeForm's "31 Nights of Halloween" last October, they brought the original line back. I actually recorded it off my phone and forgot I had it until I was doing some cleanup.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

card-crunch78

I just saw the trailer for DreamWorks' "Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken" and it looks like the closest we're ever gonna get to a Splatoon movie.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

RR529

One for the middle of the week.

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Blu-Ray)

You know, there's a lot about this I could probably criticize, whether it's Piccolo & Gohan's contrived new transformations (at this point it's like they're not even hiding the fact that they're just trying to move toys), the fact that they sorta blew a possible return of a past villain, or the fact that they sidelined Buu due to a nap, AGAIN. However, I ultimately don't watch Dragon Ball for nuanced stories, and when all is said & done this was pure fun.

I was a little unsure of the 3DCG going in, and while there were a few things that looked a tad wonky, it worked a lot better in practice than I'd have imagined and the CG environments gave a sense of scale to the battles that was enjoyable to see. The action was fun, had some funny comedic bits, and it was nice getting a story that was a bit smaller in scope, allowing a few characters that have been more or less on the sidelines get a chance to shine.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

@Kermit1 It does, I'm surprised by this drop. I thought the next thing they would post was the Trolls 3 trailer, nope, they dropped a surprise. I was wondering which other movie it would be too, since DreamWorks seems to average two movies a year.

@Eagly Indeed. This makes Ruby Gillman, Trolls 3, and Kung Fu Panda 4 their next movies. Two sequels and something completely new, very happy with this.

@JadeKitsune I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Splatoon upon hearing "Kraken"

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

card-crunch78

@Sunsy Actually the "Splatoon" part came to mind when I saw the girl had tentacles as her "hair".

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Rambler

@jump
White Noise is definitely with reading. It's been years since I did, but I do remember it being funny in a bizarre mix of intellectual novel and 80s alternative comedy. I'm sure the film has that as well.

Blade runner is better than The Martian. That may look like opinion, but actually one of the fundamental laws of the universe is that Blade Runner is a work of unparalleled genius.

Have Kate Mara and Kate O'Mara been seen in the same room together? Probably not, I think.

Rambler

HotGoomba

@Sunsy Honestly at this point I'll watch anything DreamWorks releases.

Can't wait for Boss Baby 3.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Dogorilla

Sunsy wrote:

For those of you who like Puss In Boots, The Bad Guys, and in my case, Trolls... DreamWorks revealed a new movie today. Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kracken.

Personally, liking how it looks so far. Ruby looks cute, and the animation looks great!

This seems like quite a similar concept to Luca, which is a tough act to follow. It doesn't help that they reused a joke from Megamind almost word for word in that trailer. But it looks nice visually, and hopefully it will have plenty of original ideas, or at least just be entertaining in its own right.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Kermit1doesmath

I just saw SHAZAM 2: Electric Boogaloo (some light spoilers below)
I really liked the first Shazam for many reasons, so I was definitely hyped to see a sequel. However, it kinda fell into a generic superhero movie around the end of act one, and after that only had a few (but plentiful) good moments. For a movie called Shazam, there wasn't much Shazam in it but that's okay since all the family members were enjoyable to watch, the ones that got "spotlight" screen time that is. The villains were... Villains not much to say there. The ending was pretty nice... Without spoiling it, it was pretty interesting... Overall I give this movie a 7/10

(heavy spoilers below)
That fakeout with Wonder Woman was great and then at the end, she showed up to "un-dead" Shazam!

dysgraphia awareness human

HotGoomba

I should be watching it this weekend so yeah cool.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

jump

@Rambler I dunno, in one movie I watch Matt Damon figure out how to turn rocks into water but in Blade Runner 47/51 various director cuts Harrison Ford can't even figure out if he's a robot or not.

I probably should read White Noise but my to read list is getting longer and longer. Probably best for the book thread but I've just started to read The Kaiju Preservation Society, it's about a zookeeper that looks after Godzilla type monsters but I've made so little progress with it in the last few months.

I'm pretty sure Kate O'Mara died before Kate Mara broke out in House Of Cards, unless it was just a cover story and O'Mara bought a celebrity youth potion and changed her name to Mara to resume acting but without people asking questions about why she looks so young now?!?!?

@Colonel_Mustache Yeah it's so good. I should have done a double feature and watched it with Gravity so I can spot their different approaches to survival in space where one flick is tense and shows the spectacle of space whilst the other is fudge space I'm gonna use science to make it my biatch.

Nicolai wrote:

XandertheWise

watching these movies this weekend

Child's Play 1
1980s horror movie The Initiation
that Gretel and Hansel horror movie

XandertheWise

Fizza

Oooooh that new Dreamworks movie (Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken) looks right up my alley. I adore plots centered around characters trying to fit in and then finding themselves later on and, as a resident Splatoon nut, I do love me some sea creatures so I'll definitely be trying to watch this when it comes out!

....is what I would say if it wasn't for the fact that it comes out the exact same day as Ghost Trick.

ouch XD
Untitled

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic