Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,801 to 4,820 of 6,555

Rambler

@jump
It's worth finding a list of academy members - it's surprising how many crap actors and directors get to join. But it is by nomination, so it's who you know, etc etc.
I've not been a fan of the Oscars even since Tom Hanks got one for not being gay, but they do still carry weight, and are a great way to recognise technical achievements outside the niche awards.

With the best foreign film (not film in a foreign language, I think??), I believe the originating country has to submit the film, and it can also only submit one film. It could be that India submitted another film, or didn't bother this year.

Rambler

jump

@Rambler That's what I thought but then RRR is up for best song which has just made me confused about the whole thing now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dogorilla

I hope Everything Everywhere gets enough extra attention from all these nominations to get a DVD/Bluray release in the UK. I mean it did come out in Germany so I could buy it from there as it's the same region, but it's odd it skipped the UK seeing as the film apparently did really well in the box office here.

I'm also gonna have to check out 'An Ostrich Told Me The World Is Fake And I Think I Believe It' from the best animated short category just based on the strength of the title.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Kermit1doesmath

Dogorilla wrote:

I'm also gonna have to check out 'An Ostrich Told Me The World Is Fake And I Think I Believe It' from the best animated short category just based on the strength of the title.

Man, I've been out of the loop this year with short films.

dysgraphia awareness human

Dogorilla

@Kermit1 Yeah I can't say I'm really aware of most short films that come out in any year. The only one I've heard of (and seen) from the Oscar nominations this year is The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse because it was shown on BBC1 over here.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

HotGoomba

Oh cool, all the animated feature nominees are actually good movies.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

RR529

Cool to see Top Gun: Maverick & Avatar: the Way of Water nominated for best picture.

Now, I absolutely don't expect either of them to win anything outside of technical awards, but if they absolutely had to honor anything from the blockbuster-sphere, they definitely picked the right ones.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@RR529 I wouldn't say that myself, I know people love their nostalgia pop-culture reference sequels and I've not seen either Top Gun or Avatar (I'll see them at home as I wasn't in love with the first ones) but I can think of a few original non-sequel blockbusters more deserving simply in terms of not everything has to be a franchise.

You're got the kinetic madness of RRR, the nihilistic epic The Northman, The Woman King which turned Viola Davis into an action star and the darling auteur Jordan Peele's latest Nope.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Kermit1doesmath

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I see why people like it though. I just have some trauma from when/where I watched it lol, it has nothing to do with the beginning of the film, I knew about that before seeing it.

I give it a nice 6/10

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

HotGoomba

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika Well they chose Spider-Verse so they must have some taste.

Then again Pinocchio is kick-ass, Turning Red is pretty good in my opinion, and the other movies look quality, so I'd understand Puss not winning.

HotGoomba

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika Yeah it's been pretty insulting seeing animated features not being nominated for best picture.

jump

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika Better Call Saul shouldn't win an Oscar since it's a tv show and Oscars are for movies. It has won multiple Emmys which if the high bar of telly awards.

Bias works both ways, it's all well and good complaining they are neglecting low rent cartoons and superhero movies through snobbery when you're skipping nuanced and thought provoking dramas and thrillers. Women Talking, Tar and The Banshees of Inisherin are all great films deserving of praise and considering Everything Everywhere the movie genre geek film of choice this year has been backed hard and nominating Top Gun and Avatar they have made concessions for the lowest common denominator.

There’s nothing wrong with only liking cartoons and superheroes films but it gets so boring listening to people pretend that is all and the best of cinema.

@SlashFuture Star Wars has won a Best Movie Oscar though.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

There’s nothing wrong with only liking cartoons and superheroes films but it gets so boring listening to people pretend that is all and the best of cinema.

Especially when there are threads dedicated to the topics, but it permeates everything. Hey-ho

Rambler

Solaine

I really liked Triangle of Sadness and Banshees of Inisherin. Hope they are gonna win some stuff

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

gcunit

jump wrote:

Star Wars has won a Best Movie Oscar though.

Untitled

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic