Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,741 to 4,760 of 6,549

Magician

The Menu

Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nicholas Hoult. What began as an observation of a couple enjoying a high-end meal plan turns into a psychotic nosedive for the head chef and his team. Ralph Fiennes and Nicholas Hoult are terrific and Anya Taylor-Joy continues to command every scene she's in. And a dash of John Leguizamo is always a good thing.

It's not the best satire-horror movie I've seen, but I was thoroughly entertained.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika Ye, you are right.

I have created a Stardust group who I don't think have seen the film, I don't know if I should be glad or confused.

dysgraphia awareness human

HotGoomba

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika My hands are full at the moment but I'll definitely watch the movie when I get the chance.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I'm more of a movie first... Yes, I'm that one guy who has only seen the Potter films and calls himself a fan.

Gryffin

EaglyTheKawaiiShika wrote:

@Kermit1 books are better 99% of the time the 3 exceptions I can think of Are Shreck, Forest gump and the surprisingly awesome captain Underpants movie
Also on the topic of the captian underpants movie I went in expecting nothing and was very suprised that the movie based on kids books I was way too old to enjoy wasn’t good it was amazing

I have a few more examples, at least of those I've both read and seen:
Shutter Island
The Prestige
The Lord of the Rings

I know there are a couple of others, but I can't remember them right now.

Conversely, books that are better than the movie, imo:
Blade Runner
The Life of Pi
Annihilation (though the movie is great too)

Edited on by Gryffin

Gryffin

Rambler

@Gryffin
I've not read the LoTR since I was a child, but I couldn't even last the first film - and I think Braindead and Bad Taste are works of genius.

With Blade Runner and electric sheep, I think that they are very different from each other to the extent that the central thesis of each - humanisation / dehumanisation - is opposite.

I think the rule of thumb that books are better than their adaptation will always be true - with the exceptions that prove the rule of course.
For those -
Psycho, maybe? I was quite disappointed with the novel of the Exorcist, although it does have some evocative passages. The Shining, of course, and The Godfather.

Edit: Don't Look Now is better than the short story it's based on, but I'm not sure if that counts, as it expands it quite a lot IIRC

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Ralizah

I was so disappointed when I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, lol.

The quintessential example of a bad book becoming an amazing movie for me would be Perfect Blue. The original novel is a third-rate potboiler. The Satoshi Kon-directed anime movie adaptation, though? Perfection. One of the greatest thrillers of all time.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika have you seen the old film (from the 60s I think), I saw it once and it followed the book pretty well from what I remember of it.

Also, I did a deep dive into film and found this video. One director he covered says "All narrative film writers should be shot", turns out snobs do still exist.

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I don't like burning feelings in my throat, I'll pass. I'll probably be living with my parents because a new car is cheaper than a house.

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I once drove a golf cart full speed into a Corvette so I've had plenty of action in my lifetime.

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I barely did any damage... Plus my grandpa just laughed it off... I was like 7 and not given many instructions so I did what any kid would and hit that gas pedal with everything I had.

This summer I finally got to drive a golf cart again and I didn't crash into anything. I'm still scared of driving though.

edit: for the speed I was going it goes to show how well Corvettes are made. Build like a tank lol.

Edited on by Okami1

Gryffin

Ralizah wrote:

I was so disappointed when I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, lol.
The quintessential example of a bad book becoming an amazing movie for me would be Perfect Blue. The original novel is a third-rate potboiler. The Satoshi Kon-directed anime movie adaptation, though? Perfection. One of the greatest thrillers of all time.

Oh that reminds me! The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, the anime. My favorite movie of all time and MUCH better than the novella. The live action adaptation from 1987 is also super good.

Gryffin

Okami1

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika you can't leave me hanging with just Freezer. What happened lol, if you want to talk about it.

gcunit

Rambler wrote:

@Gryffin
I've not read the LoTR since I was a child, but I couldn't even last the first film - and I think Braindead and Bad Taste are works of genius...

...I think the rule of thumb that books are better than their adaptation will always be true - with the exceptions that prove the rule of course.
For those -

How about LotR as one those exceptions? I'm not someone who would fawn over the films and see no wrong, but I'd still rather watch the films than read the books. They're such a chore to get through. A great story, but not brilliantly written.

The Hobbit, on the other hand... yeh, book please.

Recently watched Samaritan on Amazon - a Sly Stallone film where he plays a reclusive superpowered dude. Had my suspicions before watching, given that I'd never heard of it and that it was an Amazon exclusive (they're pretty much always ropey, I think) and... yeh, my suspicions were justified. Its not too bad to begin with, enough to keep me watching, but by the end it was indeed ropey.

Watched the film adaptation of Matilda The Musical in the cinema today. This worked opposite to Samaritan by getting better as it went along. I think it could have been really great with a bit more time out into a lot of the songs. The first half of the film has a lot of singing and feels drawn out without actually having any notable songs. Could have done with trimming a bit and having catchier songs. The only great song is right near the end, so it ends well but just has an element of 'what might have been' about it because overall it's a good production, just lacking enough spark.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic