Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,121 to 4,140 of 6,557

RubyCarbuncle

Fizza wrote:

Continuing on from Raiders of the Lost Ark, I've just finished watching Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom!
Untitled
I can definitely see why people don't like this one. The characters can be pretty annoying, the 1st half is a slow plod with almost no pace-breakers and the amount of pure happenstance and the amount of incidents they somehow managed to survive, where it was kind of noitceable in RotLA, is utterly absurd in ToD (you're telling me a flimsy inlfatable life-raft that just so happened to be on a rapidly descending plane was durable enough to cushion the fall of not only a speeding jet onto the side of a snowy mountain, but ALSO an at least 50ft drop into a rushing rapids?! Pull the other one).

Despite this however, I still relatively enjoyed my time with this one. This is mainly due to the 2nd half being as good as it is with all the action, tension and power-tripping that made me love the first one. I felt as though they ramped up the horror aspect from RotLA where, rather than it just being near the end that the really scary stuff came in (which doesn't take away from the fact that the stuff that was shown is still utterly horrifying), ToD had every single trope you could possibly imagine from a movie cult: insects, hanging corpses, death traps, blood drinking and what can only be described as one of the most gruesome sacrifices in a non-horror movie (no joke: had to shield my eyes when they yanked out that heart).

All of these factors contribute towards ToD feeling a lot more unique as it's own thing and, while I don't think it's nearly as good as the original, it was still a grand old time nonetheless.

Oh and as one last aside: those enemy soldiers had (eyeball) soup for brains. They go from having daggers.....to scimitars....to GUNS....and then ARROWS????? No wonder they lost in the end.

Hahahaha I love that movie. Used to love watching it with my dad when I was young, sadly he passed away in 2015 from Cancer. Whenever the Indiana Jones movies are on TV I think of him immediately, not that I don't think of him anyway but yeah you know what I mean.

RubyCarbuncle

Switch Friend Code: SW-4433-3410-1346 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-7103-3376 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkNebula | Twitter:

Fizza

@RubyCarbuncle I'm so sorry to hear that, I'm happy you two had something you bonded over! It's a lucky thing to have in today's day and age (me and my dad for example are absolutely mad Arsenal supporters and it's probably made us closer than anything ever could. Which is especially handy given their recent form šŸ˜). I'm excited to continue the rest of the movies (and I guess this new entry due for release next year if I'm not mistaken?) over the coming weeks!

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

NintendoByNature

Apparently the movie terrifier 2 is causing people to pass out and vomit in theaters lol. Now I REALLY wana see it.

NintendoByNature

Pizzamorg

Rambler wrote:

Kermit1 wrote:

@Rambler When I grow up I want to make silent films. Who needs words!

An absolute classic, one of my favourite films ever. Eureka Video's BluRay is gorgeous.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Sunsy

@Kermit1 Sounds fun, as someone who loves the Need for Speed games, I don't expect anything faithful to the games, but I do enjoy fun movies, maybe I'll keep an eye out if it shows up on streaming.

@Rambler Never heard of the show, so it's a given that I didn't know that.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

I thought the new Holoween. movie, honestly, I have mixed feeling about it, on one hand I wished they went all the way with the concept, but then if you werenā€™t going to do that, why not give people what they want? Myersā€™s last movie!

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outsideā€¦you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but Iā€™m very much alive!

Snatcher

@Kermit1 Yeah I believe so, because this one takes place in 2022. And is the continuation of he original films.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outsideā€¦you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Sunsy

@Kermit1 Awesome! I can now call Need for Speed a Disney series!

It's not on any streaming service I know of here, Google is returning rental services where you pay to rent a movie for 48 hours.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Sunsy

@Kermit1 This is the movie right?

Now there's a DreamWorks logo too, lol. I keep forgetting they do live action too.

I love the choice of song, that was in Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012. Played that on Wii U.

Snatcher

@Kermit1 Auto correct decided to screw me over. I meant Halloween.

Sunsy

@Kermit1 Some of those angles remind me of a Need for Speed game. Making note to check this one out one day. I like the games, while I know it won't be exactly like the games, I think I'll still enjoy it.

jump

The Woman King is amazeballs, just a really good popcorn blockbuster. You like and care about the characters, the quips don't undercut the movie, you fist bump to the action, you're sad at the right moments, the baddies are bad without them twirling their moustaches etc and I can't find much fault with it. Plus Viola Davis is now an action star! From a historical viewpoint it's a typical Hollywood mess though, don't watch and think you have learned anything real about the African slave trade though. I give it an Oscar.

I also caught saw Smile. It's better than I expected but still formulaic, jump scare driven and the third act is messy. However the things it does well it does very well and just the idea of having a haunting smile is so creepy and effective. It's trying to have an underlying theme about trauma and mostly succeeds in telling that story thankfully due to Kevin Bacon's kid who is the leading lady doing such a great job. I give it an Oscar.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@Sunsy - I totally recommend Spaced. It's essentially the same style characters from Shaun of the Dead (and Edgar Wright directing) and is hugely funny and surprisingly affecting.
It's mainly a huge stack of film and comic book references and parodies, along with the odd swipe at the art world (David Walliams as a Leigh Bowery type, for instance).

Jessica Hynes is the co-creator, co-writer, and co-lead, so it ends up being not as laddish as the films.

Get the DVDs / BluRays as the commentaries are brilliant (plus special subtitles pointing out all the homages)

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic