Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,101 to 4,120 of 6,555

Sunsy

Apologies for double post, watched Alice in Wonderland tonight. Been watching the new Disney cartoon Alice's Wonderland Bakery, and like the idea that Alice's great grandmother is Alice from the original Disney movie, put me in the mood to relive this classic and watch Alice's adventure through Wonderland again.

Then for some Halloween fun afterwards, watched the short Toy Story of Terror. Really liked how the story centered around Jessie and her fear of being boxed up.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Kermit1doesmath

Just watched Need For Speed (2014) with Aaron Paul. This movie is messy and I loved it, it was everything I wanted from a NFS movie, the score sucked but at least the camera work was 8/10.

I'd give this movie a 7/10, Cheesy car racing fun.

dysgraphia awareness human

Kermit1doesmath

@HotGoomba It was about Aaron Paul, turns out it's a biopic of his life before doing Breaking Bad.

RR529

@Fizza, I've followed you on Letterboxd as well. Hope you enjoy the platform!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kermit1doesmath

I need to use Letterboxd more lol, such a fun site.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

Pizzamorg

I went on a bad run of movies for a while, but today I watched a seemingly forgotten Slasher from the early 00s called Shredder and while it isn't a good movie by conventional standards, as a person who has seen more Slasher movies than is probably healthy I have seen just how low the floor can go and so for all of its many flaws as a conventional piece of narrative cinema, it doesn't come anywhere close to that floor. Low bar? Maybe, but it is what I am working with.

It has a couple of really stand out kills, it doesn't do the usual Slasher thing where there is like a solid hour of movie where basically nothing happens and that closing kill with the whole 'Shred this, bitch!' thing? Gold.

I wouldn't just recommend this to just anyone, but if you have a tolerance/love for the Slasher and have watched more than just the pillar titles, I think you'd have fun with this one.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Rambler

Everybody on this thread at some point in their life - "how many killings?"

(Though Three Colours Blue is actually my fave film!!)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Rambler

@Pizzamorg

There is something to be said for films which are desperately average and stick rigidly to a genre template. Cruddy 80s action flicks are a good one for that as well, where the script seems to have been written by a 12 year old.

Rambler

Pizzamorg

@Rambler this is how I have picked my movie choices for basically my whole life 😂 Blame me Mam, it was how I was raised! 😆

A friend'll be like 'I watched this film, it was rubbish but here is a guy who gets pushed into a rotor blad-' 'Say no more!' adds to Amazon cart

Talking of which, just put in my preorder for the BluRay double set of Terrifier 1 & 2. I own one on digital, but I am one of those weirdos who prefers their games on digital and my movies on physical so this seemed a good excuse to grab both.

Rambler wrote:

@Pizzamorg
There is something to be said for films which are desperately average and stick rigidly to a genre template. Cruddy 80s action flicks are a good one for that as well, where the script seems to have been written by a 12 year old.

So true! Same with 80s/90s Ninja flicks (especially the ones not actually made in Japan). They are all rubbish and basically all just the same film, but God damn I'd watch everyone a hundred times over for that comfy familiarity.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Rambler

@Sunsy - have you ever seen the TV series Spaced? Shaun of the Dead is essentially an extension of one of its episodes where one of the characters has been playing Resident Evil for so long he thinks the game is real life

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Rambler

@Pizzamorg
God yeah, I remember watching terrible ninja films after clubbing - totally what you need at 4am!
Definitely some which seemed to consist of the same footage edited in different ways!

But there really is something comforting in how predicable some films can be. Intense police chiefs and exploding cars for me, but also in slashed films how most people seem to be killed by their own stupidity! Why open that door??

Rambler

Pizzamorg

Rambler wrote:

@Pizzamorg
God yeah, I remember watching terrible ninja films after clubbing - totally what you need at 4am!
Definitely some which seemed to consist of the same footage edited in different ways!

But there really is something comforting in how predicable some films can be. Intense police chiefs and exploding cars for me, but also in slashed films how most people seem to be killed by their own stupidity! Why open that door??

Nothing like a ninja film just reusing the same stunt at different angles for different scenes. The magic of cinema!

And yes!! Screaming "DON'T GO IN THE BASEMENT!" at your TV during a Slasher film is a right of passage.

Pizzamorg

Rambler wrote:

@Pizzamorg this film is genuinely rubbish but does have the best title and provided a couple of hours amusement for me and a friend:
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3620452/

(Very sweary!!)

Oh my word that title alone, that is definitely going on the list!

Kermit1doesmath

@Rambler... bruh, I miss clicked and saw the title while trying to click quote... That's one way to get people's attention.

Rambler

@Kermit1
It's probably the best bit of the film!

Though the best film title ever is A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell.
Closely followed by Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town (starring Billy Bob Thornton!!)

Rambler

Fizza

Continuing on from Raiders of the Lost Ark, I've just finished watching Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom!
Untitled
I can definitely see why people don't like this one. The characters can be pretty annoying, the 1st half is a slow plod with almost no pace-breakers and the amount of pure happenstance and the amount of incidents they somehow managed to survive, where it was kind of noitceable in RotLA, is utterly absurd in ToD (you're telling me a flimsy inlfatable life-raft that just so happened to be on a rapidly descending plane was durable enough to cushion the fall of not only a speeding jet onto the side of a snowy mountain, but ALSO an at least 50ft drop into a rushing rapids?! Pull the other one).

Despite this however, I still relatively enjoyed my time with this one. This is mainly due to the 2nd half being as good as it is with all the action, tension and power-tripping that made me love the first one. I felt as though they ramped up the horror aspect from RotLA where, rather than it just being near the end that the really scary stuff came in (which doesn't take away from the fact that the stuff that was shown is still utterly horrifying), ToD had every single trope you could possibly imagine from a movie cult: insects, hanging corpses, death traps, blood drinking and what can only be described as one of the most gruesome sacrifices in a non-horror movie (no joke: had to shield my eyes when they yanked out that heart).

All of these factors contribute towards ToD feeling a lot more unique as it's own thing and, while I don't think it's nearly as good as the original, it was still a grand old time nonetheless.

Oh and as one last aside: those enemy soldiers had (eyeball) soup for brains. They go from having daggers.....to scimitars....to GUNS....and then ARROWS????? No wonder they lost in the end.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic