Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,081 to 4,100 of 6,549

Okami1

@Gryffin That sounds like a movie title Shadows and Passing (1995) lol.

dysgraphia awareness human

XandertheWise

watching The Fog tonight right now then later watching The Mummy Returns even though Ive seen Mummy Returns like a dozen times before

XandertheWise

Pizzamorg

Not sure if this makes more sense here or in another thread, but just watched the MCU special 'Werewolf by Night' and boy howdy, what a banger! This is not only the most interesting thing the MCU has done in ages, but it might also very well be one of the best things they have ever made.

So funny to me because the last thing I watched from the MCU was Thor Love and Thunder, a movie which - no hyperbole - is one of the worst films I have ever finished. Then they ask a composer to tap into the basically untouched horror side of Marvel, (meaning there are no past templates to use here for reference and guidance), and to also make a homage to classic Universal Monster movies and just turns around and absolutely blasts it out of the park.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jump

@Pizzamorg I enjoyed it but I can’t say I enjoyed it anymore than any other MCU show/movie though.

I was disappointed that with all the talk of it being horror and having a more adult age rating that it still felt light.

It did do something I’ve wanted Marvel to do since Guardians of picking up these great characters/ideas which didn’t take off as a comic and the give them a second chance in series/movie format since people will watch it regardless now because of the Marvel name, like Guardians who were pretty unknown at the time but are huge thing now. Hopefully there will be more of Man Thing and Elsa Bloodstone.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Pizzamorg

jump wrote:

@Pizzamorg I enjoyed it but I can’t say I enjoyed it anymore than any other MCU show/movie though.
I was disappointed that with all the talk of it being horror and having a more adult age rating that it still felt light.

It did do something I’ve wanted Marvel to do since Guardians of picking up these great characters/ideas which didn’t take off as a comic and the give them a second chance in series/movie format since people will watch it regardless now because of the Marvel name, like Guardians who were pretty unknown at the time but are huge thing now. Hopefully there will be more of Man Thing and Elsa Bloodstone.

I guess it all depends on expectation. I had none going in and never expected in a MCU production to see a dude get his guts sliced open, the blood spray onto the camera and then stay there dripping off the frame. Hell, a lot of pure horror werewolf movies don't deliver those kinds of goods. We're like one stage removed from Sam trying to pull the Sarge's guts out.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

WoomyNNYes

Watched Young Frankenstein. I have an HD mp4 of it. I also started working my way through Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. I have mp4's of 1-11, 15, 20, 23, 25, 27.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

@Pizzamorg You're not wrong but I think you’re overselling the violence as alot of it is movie magic to make you think it was there, the fighting is still more WWE than UFC. I wasn’t specifically talking about the violence when I said it was light, I meant overall as this is still popcorn entertainment rather than something more weighty and mature.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Pizzamorg

jump wrote:

@Pizzamorg You're not wrong but I think you’re overselling the violence as alot of it is movie magic to make you think it was there, the fighting is still more WWE than UFC. I wasn’t specifically talking about the violence when I said it was light, I meant overall as this is still popcorn entertainment rather than something more weighty and mature.

Yeah maybe. I dunno.

I guess I just feel so beaten down by the modern MCU, I am just getting over excited at seeing them try something. Like would I be wowed by the content here as much if this was like 2018 MCU times? Probably not. But when everything is beige for so long, it doesn't take much to excite you.

I put together an MCU ranking on my Letterboxd and realised that three of the bottom 10 are all from 2022 (it includes shows and movies).

In my top 10, I do have some more recent stuff, but it is all the weirder stuff. The only movie post 2018 in my Top 10 is Shang-Chi. And again, this was less a piece of Full MCU and again MCU showing they could apply their formula to something different make it work.

And like even at its worst, I am not sure really anyone is challenging the MCU, either. I remember watching The Batman earlier this year that was getting loads of praise and thought it honestly sucked. It was badly made, grimdark yet toothless, really dated and Pattinson sucked (and I don't even just irrationally hate him because he was in Twilight).

Like if my choice is beige MCU or ropey edgelord DC projects, give me Werewolf By Night another ten times over.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

jump

@Eagly do you need backstories though? For all of those Marvel fans who don’t actually read comics it would have ruined it as you’re made to think they are hunting Werewolf By Midnight despite not saying it only to turn out its Man Thing and the Werewolf is someone else. The characters are easy enough to understand from what was given and the over explaining because the audience is the lowest common denominator in Marvel does my head. Just make the characters and plots interesting enough so you want to think and work it out for yourself!

Nicolai wrote:

Gryffin

Caught two more. In the Shadow of the Moon, and MIB: International.

My ★★★½ review of In the Shadow of the Moon on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/3jprqP

My ★★★ review of Men in Black: International on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/3jpv7H

Gryffin

NintendoByNature

I'm also watching horror movies pretty much every night leading up to Halloween. Most of the time they're just background stuff like Friday the 13th, nightmare of elm st, etc. But I did watch the new hellraiser which was pretty good, despite changing just about everything from the original. For the rest of the week I'll probably just put on some more background noise until Friday when Halloween ends comes to peacock. Really excited for it.

NintendoByNature

jump

I finally got around to watching Brazil. Spoilers, not once does anyone actually go to Brazil in the movie!

I've been meaning to watch it for years, I've always found Terry Gilliam hit and miss in a good way as he tries to do things differently and has ambition which doesn't always match his execution, which is probably why I took so long to watch this as I didn't know what I was gonna get. It does swing from campy to witty all over the place which is probably intentional since it's equal parts farce and tragedy but it's so visually amazing. It does make me laugh that it's a 40 year old warning when looking around at the landscape of today, with a few snips it could be modern satire.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Okami1

Headline
Tom Cruise Will Be First Civilian To Spacewalk Shooting New Movie.

Me: Hes not the first to Moonwalk.

I'll walk myself out

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

@jump
Did you watch the version with the ***** horrible ending or the sanitised American ending?

It's similar to the way the Descent was edited for the US market.

I remember having interesting if futile conversations at university with someone who was arguing that Brazil was better than 1984. Futile as in they were totally wrong, but maybe they thought that Orwell's text could've been enlivened with a bit of slapstick? I can't remember.

Nobody eats Brazil nuts in it either

Rambler

Rambler

Multiple tags ago-go!!

@Pizzamorg - yeah I can totally see Begotten being shown in class. It looks incredible, and I think it sticks to its premise really well. Drags a bit, I thought, but nothing looks like it (apart from its sequel)

@Magician - Belko Experiment sounds like the typical job interview? Or am I in the wrong business?

@Jump - two films called The Hunt! I was a bit confused there. Series 7 is mint, and Battle Royale is still incredible (banned in the States for quite a while I believe)

@kermit1 - never mind 24 hour Cinderella:

Psycho slowed down so it lasts 24 hours.

@WoomyNNYes - Fronkensteen, I think you'll find

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I mean Brazil is far most interesting to watch, I put 1984 on the table but the book just stays there in a still state!

I was talking about the recent The Hunt movie with whatshername from Glow plus Hillary Swank, Wayne Duvall and Emma Roberts. I liked the twist that it is not who you think it is doing the killing but it still caused outrage.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Tasuki

@Kermit1 I know what you meant, but look at what they said to what you are attempting to connect it to. They said spacewalk, and Michael Jacksons dances was called the Moonwalk. Now if they said Tom Cruise is the first celebrity to Moonwalk then it would have made more sense.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic