Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 4,021 to 4,040 of 6,557

jump

@TheJGG yeah I saw it a few years. However I feel like you just want to steal my brilliant talking points for your essay! ;p

The obvious main bullet point would be the gorgeous art style which uses watercolours and lines to look like an old timey Japanese scroll. Then followed up by its translation of the folk tale it's based on, it's leisurely long pacing and a comparison of it's contemporaries both Disney's fairy tales and Ghibli other works although it sorta reminds me of The Snowman which gets shown every British xmas.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump The Snowman is the most brutal example of entropy ever made

Rambler

Rambler

It's 60 years of James Bond films, apparently.

Who should be next?

For me, Kingsley Ben-Adir.

My list of wind-up choices is long, starting with Samira Wiley.

Although spin-offs for Lashana Lynch's and/or Ana de Armas' characters would be fun

Rambler

jump

@Rambler The only correct answer is Idris Elba innit! Although at Bond's heart he is a murderous toff coming from heritage so maybe a black guy can't play him as he wouldn't have the sense of being from old money which is a shame as I remember watching Luther and thinking that guy would make a great Bond.

The same applies to Batman as he was from an old money family taking from the city which then took it back which is really what Batsy is fighting.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
That would be a good Batman story - the penguin, joker, et al are revealed to be activists and their supporters protesting against the damage caused by Wayne Enterprises, but the realisation has driven Broooose to madness in which they are the crazed villains and he is is the saviour. I'm sure it's probably been done before!

Think Big Driss is a bit too old now? He would be excellent, especially with a bit of Stringer Bell menace mixed in. There was someone else mooted who wasn't Tom Hardy and I can't remember who it was now

But if it has to be a unfeeling, bloodthirsty toff, well, there seems to be an obvious choice in govt....

@Kermit1 - you say that, but Brosnan is Irish, so there is a prescedent. Bradders is prolly too old as well. All the people called Chris are a bit obvious, but a Ryan might be okay.

Or you could have multiple actors, depending on the situation and mood. Bit like That Obscure Object of Desire or Palindromes. Someone for sexy time, someone for sweaty bomb disposal, someone for ninja'ing, etc.
Might make it a bit more of a self-referential thinkpiece than an all-out action movie, but might be the only way forward.

Or do the whole thing with Barbie dolls.

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Yep, they have done that already in the comics. Batman is the only comics I consistently read (and I pick up other comics if I hear it's a good run) and I've read a few variations of that.

I've got insider info on Tom Hardy from someone I know who works in the showbizness and they are saying Tom isn't doing it. I get told lots of tidbits I've not aloud to say like what Eleven from Stranger Things is really like in real life, the Avengers actors are all really nice apart from one etc. The annoying thing is whenever they work on a Marvel or DC film I will ask them questions as a comic fan and they have no idea what I'm on about as they don't have geek cred. I had a long discussion asking about Justice League when they were working on it after they told me a loose description of something which made no sense so I spent an hour in the pub showing them pictures from google of what it could be which really annoyed them but not as much as I was annoyed of only half knowing something.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
I can well imagine that is annoying! Must make for very frustrating if amusing conversations.

As long as Millie Bobby Brown is not like Bobby Brown then that is okay.

Tom Hardy I like as an actor, but I get the feeling that I can see him acting, which is fine in Taboo or Peaky Blinders, or even something like The Drop, but acting as a suave Psycho might be a bit obvious. So might be for the best.

Rambler

Rambler

That Karen Carpenter thing reminder me of this (as I initally saw them on the same anti-copyright art site). Don't mess with the Disney animators:

Rambler

jump

@Rambler It works though as I don't really care about the celeb gossip so I wont leak it and I can fill them in on thier geek culture knowledge. They did tell me the other day that the entire UK country has run out of a specific shade of pink paint as the Barbie movie has bought it all which was honestly the most interesting insider thing they have told me.

If Idris can't be Bond then I want them to change direction and ruin it by doing the the silly rubbish like Roger Moore Bond did. Sacha Baron Cohen is 6 feet, was pretty good as a serious spy The Spy plus he can do comedy, perfect 2020s Roger Moore style Bond!

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump - That must be a lot of paint!

The obvious choice is missing then, for Bond: James Cordon. He could even write the script!

Rambler

Rambler

As part of The Essay strand on BBC Radio 3, there is a five-part series on Blade Runner. Not listened to it yet, but all parts are available for download.

Rambler

Gryffin

Rambler wrote:

It's 60 years of James Bond films, apparently.
Who should be next?

For me, Kingsley Ben-Adir.

My list of wind-up choices is long, starting with Samira Wiley.

Although spin-offs for Lashana Lynch's and/or Ana de Armas' characters would be fun

I really loved Lashana Lynch's performance. If it were up to me, she would be the next 007.

Edited on by Gryffin

Gryffin

Gryffin

It's the 100th anniversary of Häxan this year. Just watched it on HBO. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Gryffin

Kermit1doesmath

Rambler wrote:

The obvious choice is missing then, for Bond: James Cordon. He could even write the script!

Don't jinx it. That man will legit do steroids and prep for that role mentally.

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

Gryffin wrote:

It's the 100th anniversary of Häxan this year. Just watched it on HBO. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

I love that film with all my heart. I've see it at the cinema three times, with live music, live intertitle translations, etc.

It's wonderful - spooky, inventive, self-referential and quite scary.

There's a shorter cut, with Wm Burroughs doing a voiceover, kicking around, which I believe was distributed in the 1960s as a midnight movie. I've not seen that version though.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler have you ever seen the original cut of Blade Runner? I've seen one of the various directors cuts but I've always been interest in the original one that was released in the cinema to see how different it is and how bad the internal monologues are.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
I've got some fancy boxset of it, with (I think!) five different versions: workprint, European release, US release, Director's cut and the Final Cut.

DC and US versions are superfluous, and the DC has been superseded by the FC and the US version is the same as the European but with the eye gouging removed.

The original European release is good - the VO fits with the idea of it being a film noir. It also doesn't have the unicorn so is more ambivalent about Deckard's status.
[Edited that para as it made no sense]

But! I'm not sure if the VO adds to the film as a whole. It's not the self-sabotage job that some think (to me anyway), but it could be seen as a bit of a parody and also gives too much exposition. Also some of the language in it is a bit choice, and jars badly for me.
It also has an upbeat ending, which is utterly daft (and is cobbled together from Shining outtakes!!). Glad they snipped off that bit.

The workprint is interesting - the editing is not very tight so give it quite a dreamy feel, plus it junks the opening info crawl in place of a dictionary definition of the word replicant, which I think is more fitting.

The disc of outtakes has some amazing stuff in it, especially from Rutger Hauer.

So it's worth watching but the FC is definitely the best, especially the way they've remastered it - it looks stunning.

Erm, I quite like the film, and could go on about it for days.

(Deckard = Decartes, etc, etc)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler wait, they chucked in bits of The Shining in the OG version? I really want to see it now to see if I can spot it.

I can’t say I’m a massive fan of Blade Runner. I did enjoy it and thought it was very good but I wouldn’t have watched it again if it was not for the sequel. I do like a bit of internal monologue in films as it’s so rare to see which is why I’ve always been curious about the OG cut.

It could have done with some comic relief like a wise cracking sidekick who keeps complaining he’s too old for this and he’s about to retire. Ridley can CGI the sidekick in and use the excuse the sidekick is buying doughnuts when he’s missing from key scenes in this Ultimate Final Cut.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic