Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,941 to 3,960 of 6,555

jump

I've watched some movies!

The House On Sand And Fog, it's about a woman who loses her home and the immigrant family that buys it. To be honest I wasn't expecting much and only put it on as Jennifer Connelly and Ben Kingsley are in it who are capable of some really good emoting and line saying but it's actually a solid flick. It's really good at having the cast be both sympathetic and unlikable yet you root for them all at the same time with it building up to this powerful emotional wipe out in the third act. I give it 892,673 Oscars out of 1,000,000 Oscars.

Black Phone, It's a spooky movie about a child murder and the ghosts of the dead kids are trying to help the next victim escape. Another film that was a lot better than I expected with the acting they got out from the kids in particular is really impressive. It's feels more like Stranger Things or a Spielberg film than a horror film, it's very light of scares perhaps too light? I wasn't overly keen on the structure of here's a plan a dead kid had to escape so try that but when it doesn't work you can try the next dead kids plan and repeat but the execution is very done well. I give it 0.70152 Oscars out of 1.00000 Oscar.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Shambo

I'm currently watching the Satoshi Kon movies, which I got into by watching Tokyo Godfathers and immediately wanting to know what other projects he was involved in. Anyone who likes the line between dream and reality to fade, in beautifully animated anime (I usually avoid anime because it's mostly bad animation and the writing too "Japanese" I suppose, to fit the flashy low animated scenes that take way too much time), and hasn't seen his works yet, you'll probably love this. As to avoid spoilers, I won't say anything about any of the movies.

So far I've seen Tokyo Godfathers (which does NOT deal with the dreamy side, but it's great nonetheless), Perfect Blue, Paprika, and the collection of shorts "memories" of which he wrote the first (but all are amazing). Tonight I'll watch Millennium Actress.

Besides that, I've been looking for horror themed 2d animated movies, movies with Daniel Day Lewis, underrated horror movies preferably dealing with psychological stuff, and movies with whatever Dafoe his name was again, because I love both his acting and his instantly recognosable face that was almost visible right through the Green Goblin mask. Not my favourite of his roles, definitely, but I did not NOT enjoy it.

Shambo

3DS Friend Code: 0473-7756-7818 | Nintendo Network ID: Shambo

Rambler

@Shambo
Antichrist probably ticks your horror and Willem Dafoe boxes; he's also great (as always) in The Florida Project. And obviously as Bobby Peru.

My Beautiful Launderette for Day-Lewis?

Rambler

XandertheWise

watched Subspecies IV this weekend. not bad for an old sequel. i swear the sequels were made just to torture Radu in different way or something

XandertheWise

Sunsy

Had a surprise trip to the local theater tonight. My friend called me asking if I was doing anything, the next thing I know, I'm at the theater, about to see Howl's Moving Castle.

Second Studio Ghibli movie I've seen, and I loved it. Movie had some twists I wasn't expecting, beautiful animation, and a story that kept me wanting to find out what's happening. Really liked the time travel aspect, and the cast of characters ranging from Sophie whose age is always changing, Calcifer, to the Witch of the Waste, and Markl, to the scarecrow, to Howl himself. It got dark at times, there were happy moments. Even cried a few times. Beautiful soundtrack too.

Upon leaving, I looked at the theater room, as my friend and I were closer to the front... the theater was pretty packed. It surprises me, between seeing this and Trolls World Tour this past summer, how many people come out to watch older movies in theaters. I really like seeing that.

Hope it's ok to tag you @TheJGG, since I finally got to see another Ghibli movie.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Shambo

@Rambler I might try antichrist again, but I couldn't finish watching it the first time. Bobby Peru is such a fantastic hate-able character in one of my favourite movies (I'll definitely mention Wild at Heart whenever someone asks for my favourites, also funny how The Wild at Heart has nothing in common with that movie but is one of the nicest Switch games I played the past few years, and Sayonara Wild Hearts ALSO has next to nothing in common with either, except being a fantastic Switch game). Florida Project is amazing as well, I'd say it's one of my favourites too, but I always forget the title, and have forgotten how it went, so a good reminder to watch that again. I loved his role in The Boondock Saints, and I don't know why I keep delaying watching Lighthouse... But I have it ready to watch... Any day now... I know I'll love it so I really don't know why I'm delaying it.

Haven't seen the DDL movie, so that's added to my list to watch, thanks a lot!

Edited on by Shambo

Shambo

Rambler

@Shambo I deliberately didn't mention The Lighthouse as I got the impression that everyone had seen it, so went with something I'm still steeling myself to watch (Antichrist). I've seen loads of Von Trier films so not sure why I'm squeamish about that one!
But the Lighthouse is brilliant and Dafoe has the best accent in it - if a 1,000 year old piece of seaweed-wrapped driftwood could talk, it would sound like him.

I didn't realise until after I saw it that The Florida Project it is by the same person who did Tangerine. You can see it in ending, in how it is shot with an iPhone. It's such a great film, especially the way it almost tricks you into thinking it's about kids living this free life and not about grinding poverty (well, it's about both, but the ending I found really sad)

There's a programme on UK TV called Wild at Heart, which (I think) is a light drama set in an animal reserve. I always do a double-take when I see it in the TV listings!
If you've never read the books of Wild at Heart, I would recommend them too - they're quite minimalist compared the film, but are still weird on top and rather lovely in a twisted way. You should be able to get them as one volume called The Wild Life of Sailor & Lula.

Rambler

Rambler

@Sunsy
The only Ghibli film I've seen at the flicks was Ponyo, when it came out.
But I'm sure that a one-off showing of Totoro or Spirited Away at an indie cinema (or even a chain) would easily sell out here in the UK. The themes and animation are timeless that it just feels like a new audience springs up every few years.

Edit: extending on that - it felt like 20ish years ago liking Ghibli was like being part of a club, finding a common interest with the most unlikely people. I first saw Totoro at 4am, for example! It's wonderful how they are so well-known now
Bit similar to liking Slint in the early 90s - took me ages to find someone else who had heard of them, then suddenly this whole other world of music opened up.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Shambo

@Rambler Well, I'll stop delaying The Lighthouse... Well, I'll watch it tonight I mean, that's technically still delaying it as I could do it right now.

I need to rewatch Florida Project, I remember loving it, but that's all, so it's the perfect time to experience it for the first time again. Haven't heard of Tangerine before, but a quick search and I see the cover, colours, the boldness of the title on the cover, and I know I don't want to spoil more, I'll just watch it, as it reminds me of the first impression the cover of Florida Project gave me. Weirdly enough, that was NOT an impression of "I want to watch this", but more of "I wonder what this is about, and watching it is probably the best way to find out". If that makes sense.

I didn't know Wild at Heart was from a book, I don't read much, but I might get it for when I go off grid in the mountains in Spain, now that everything is finally almost ready to go (I don't think one can ever be READY for it, not even after years of living here in my forest in Belgium where I do have electricity, but that's what makes it an adventure in the first place), once the coming winter is almost over. I also can't help but think of Tarantino's True Romance whenever Wild at Heart is mentioned.

Since we're talking movies here, I wonder if you have seen Swiss Army Man and if so, how you like it.
And Les Triplettes de Belleville (I love 2d animated movies, and I think that one must be one of my favourites, but there's quite a few I really love, Waltz with Bashir also immediately comes to mind, together with some all time classics and some other lesser known ones)

Shambo

Solaine

@Sunsy You must be at a nice location with lots of open minded people for those kinds of movies. Over here i live a bit more on the Countryside and it is really sad to see completely empty rooms whenever they are showing something like Ghibli...
Glad to hear it is not everywhere like that though. I am curious if it was mostly older or younger people you saw in the movie theaters?

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Sunsy

@Rambler Cool, I saw Ponyo at my friend's house. Same friend I just saw Howl's Moving Castle with. The theater where I lived had a lot of people who came, so that's amazing they sell out over in the UK.

Wow 4 AM, I don't even think our theaters open then. The earliest movie I've been to was the second Trolls World Tour showing I went to at 9 AM a little over a month ago. That sounds really cool, a peaceful time to get together with others to enjoy a Ghibli movie. Ponyo was my first, this was my second, I really need to watch more. I keep saying I want to watch Kikki's Delivery Service, hoping to see it one day.

@Solaine That or there's Ghibli fans close to where I live, or people come from nearby towns (had to go out of town for the two Trolls World Tour showings I went to). This was at my local AMC theater, which is 5-10 minutes away.

Mostly young adults and a few adults, myself and my friend included. I was really surprised to see how packed the theater was when I turned around after the movie.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

upisdown

Just watched Another Earth with Brit Marling. Great, quiet movie about guilt and forgiveness with sci-fi themes.

upisdown

Rambler

@Sunsy
Oh no, I mean I first saw it after coming back from clubbing!

There's all the usual late-night showings (the midnight movies, etc), but the only time I can think of for really late at night / early morning was for Star Wars. I cant remember if it was for ep1 or ep7, but some places were showing it around the clock...

Rambler

Rambler

@upisdown
Of Brit Marling's stuff I've only ever seen The OA, which I thought was wonderful

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jedgamesguy

Sunsy wrote:

Had a surprise trip to the local theater tonight. My friend called me asking if I was doing anything, the next thing I know, I'm at the theater, about to see Howl's Moving Castle. Second Studio Ghibli movie I've seen, and I loved it. Movie had some twists I wasn't expecting, beautiful animation, and a story that kept me wanting to find out what's happening. Really liked the time travel aspect, and the cast of characters ranging from Sophie whose age is always changing, Calcifer, to the Witch of the Waste, and Markl, to the scarecrow, to Howl himself. It got dark at times, there were happy moments. Even cried a few times. Beautiful soundtrack too. [...] Hope it's ok to tag you @TheJGG, since I finally got to see another Ghibli movie.

Tag me whenever, I'm always up for Ghibli talk. I myself am not in love with Howl's Moving Castle, I'd say it's the Ghibli equivalent of Xenoblade 2. Very good movie, it can be as good as the others but the low points are not great. While the story, animation, music, VO etc are all great, the pacing is all over the place, and the overall message is so confusing. Is it an anti-war film? Is it a film about memory? Discovering yourself? Finding inner strength? Deals with the devil? Old age? It tries to be all of these things and ends up being a master of none.

But again, the reason I'm less enthused is because of how good Miyazaki's other films are. So it's less about how this movie is bad and more about why this movie is good, and his others, better. I really hope you can get to some more Ghibli movies in future! There's so much joy to be had in those films.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dogorilla

@TheJGG Oh, so it's not just me who was underwhelmed by Howl's Moving Castle! I agree about the pacing, and after a while I just couldn't follow the plot at all. I do want to read the book it's based on though, I think it's quite different to the film but hopefully it would give me a better grasp of the overall story, and then maybe I'd enjoy the film more if I rewatched it afterwards.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Sunsy

@Rambler Oh ok, very cool. I didn't know some places did that. Guess there's a market for everything, even those who go out late at night and want to enjoy a movie.

@TheJGG Will do! I see what you mean, it did confuse me a couple of times as the castle did move from different areas, went from peacful to war torn, and Sophie's age was changing (really old one moment, young the next, then a bit older, and really old again).

Thanks, I'm hoping to one day see Kikki's Deliver Service. Wanted to see this one the most because I remember the trailers from when I was younger, so it was an early exposure to something by Ghibli. I really want to watch more of these movies.

Brighter side of things, got to see a Ghibli movie in a theater, it was unplanned too. I went to eat dinner, friend called me, next thing I know I was at the theater, lol.

Dogorilla

@Link-Hero Interesting, I didn't know that! I can certainly sympathise with his views but changing the focus of a film in the middle of production is never a good idea.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Fizza

Have you guys heard what's been happening with the MCU version of Blade as of late? It's, uh....not looking great to be honest (I will not be denied of Marhershala Ali's Blade goddamnit!).

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Kermit1doesmath

@Fizza At least that Werewolf special is getting good reviews......... I'm not shocked that the Blade movie is not doing well currently.

edit that special will be tv-14 and gory, so do what you will with that info.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic