Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,941 to 3,960 of 5,285

jump

The first time I saw the trailer for The Woman King I wanted to see it, but now on the second time I saw it the use of contemporary music puts me off. I always find it odd when new music is in a film that is set in ye old times like that jarring Kirsten Dunst Marie Antoinette flick.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kevesilanz

@jump
I'm sure that's just for the trailer.
I checked the OST and it's all original score except for a song used during the credits.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

Bunkerneath

@jump I dunno, I kind of liked Knights Tale with Heath Ledger that used Queen and Bowie in it.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Rambler

@jump
I recommend The Gospel According To Matthew by Pasolini. It's a secular retelling of, well, the gospel of St Matthew, and features folk and blues music on the soundtrack.

It's bloody brilliant, and probably outraged Italy more than Life of Brian (but in a different way)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_According_to_St.Matthew(film)

(Note that Wikipedia has taken the English translation of the film title with the "St" in it which isn't present in the original Italian)

(That use of the "." In the St is messing up the URL)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

I've always found that Sam's story is quite sad - he steps up when needed, goes through hell, then is effectively abandoned at the grey havens because he's - not middle class? Not upper class? You really feel for him, and it's a surprising downer ending to it all.

I always took it as Sam is in unrequited love, he knows he's not gonna get cuddles or anything afterwards but he still does it as he fancy the pants of Frodo.

Kevesilanz wrote:

@jump
I'm sure that's just for the trailer.
I checked the OST and it's all original score except for a song used during the credits.

Great although now I'm just gonna complain the movie isn't like the trailer!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

jump wrote:

Rambler wrote:

I've always found that Sam's story is quite sad - he steps up when needed, goes through hell, then is effectively abandoned at the grey havens because he's - not middle class? Not upper class? You really feel for him, and it's a surprising downer ending to it all.

I always took it as Sam is in unrequited love, he knows he's not gonna get cuddles or anything afterwards but he still does it as he fancy the pants of Frodo.

There's one bit where Frodo is asleep or passed out and Sam thinks about how much he loves him.

My reading of that passage changed as I got older!!!

Rambler

Kermit1

The BBC archive channel recently uploaded this... So I guess I'm a rebel punk outsider for owning comics then.

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

jump

@Kermit1 It's only 7mins long, that can barely scratch the surface. There's more interesting and in depth dissections of comics as counter/pop culture like the Supergods book/audiobook by Grant Morrison (who is arguably the greatest comic book writer of all time) which examines and charts it very well although a tad self indulgent.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kermit1

Today I was staring at a wall and for some reason remembered Harry Styles is in the MCU...

@Maxenmus the irony lol

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

Rambler

jump wrote:

The first time I saw the trailer for The Woman King I wanted to see it, but now on the second time I saw it the use of contemporary music puts me off. I always find it odd when new music is in a film that is set in ye old times like that jarring Kirsten Dunst Marie Antoinette flick.

I looked the film up as it seems to star Viola Davis, and it seems be set in the same time and place as The Viceroy of Ouidah by Bruce Chatwin, which is a great read

Rambler

Kermit1

@Rambler Is that Black Panther 2.............

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

Fizza

Well, I finally caved in and made a Letterboxd account for those interested in my opinions on movies! Hopefully I don't aggravate people too much! 😅

https://letterboxd.com/fizza04/

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
The Owl House is so good you guys omg
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
Currently Playing: Mega Man 3

Kermit1

@Fizza You have nothing on your front page therefore you hate movies lol. (I think that's how the joke goes lol)

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

Fizza

@Kermit1 I'M WORKING ON IT, DON'T WORRY.
Untitled

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
The Owl House is so good you guys omg
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
Currently Playing: Mega Man 3

Kermit1

@Fizza I created a Letterboxd too... I will share it soon...

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

jump

@Kermit1 You remind me of the time I was once eating at a Mexican restaurant and the waiter took my food to a different white person who looks nothing like me, however I then realised it wasn’t my waiter.

@Rambler yeah it’s cool Viola Davis is getting a blockbuster movie but rather annoyingly it’s been delayed in the UK now because of the Queen, she ruins everything. As it’s coming out in Oct now it will be at the same time as the cinema gets stuffed we horror movies including Smile which had a trailer that made the audience I was in freak out so I may end up seeing that instead.

I’ve added The Viceroy of Ouidah to my to read list. I’ve just started reading The Toyminator though which is a sequel to The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse however I’ve seen to have forgotten everything about it so I’m reading it again before moving onto the sequel.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Fizza

jump wrote:

You remind me of the time I was once eating at a Mexican restaurant and the waiter took my food to a different white person who looks nothing like me, however I then realised it wasn’t my waiter.

This has no reason to be as funny as it is, why am I laughing.

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
The Owl House is so good you guys omg
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
Currently Playing: Mega Man 3

Kermit1

@Fizza I don't get it but I'm laughing too

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic