Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,441 to 3,460 of 6,568

Kermit1doesmath

I've given up with all "Movie" related YouTube channels breaking down every frame of trailers to have some credibility.

I don't like people obsessing over celebrities, guessing who they'll play in a movie and their personal life. They are normal people with more money than you so what.

I could just be rambling now, I'll stop before I get a post deleted........ Thank you so so much again mods for deleting my George RR Martin post, I'm being legit honest thank you, I was not in a good head space when I wrote that and I didn't think before I hit post.

dysgraphia awareness human

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

I've given up with all "Movie" related YouTube channels breaking down every frame of trailers to have some credibility.

I mean, movie trailers are essentially advertisements for products, which we pay our hard-earned money for, so I can't really blame them that much for picking those apart. I don't want to spend my money recklessly.

What I don't like, however, is those movie-related channels that break down every frame of actual movies to have some credibility. It's one thing to be annoyed by a commercial, because that's the fault of the marketing department, but I think nitpicking a film apart based on every frame of it isn't really doing films justice. Films are meant to be enjoyed as a running film from start to finish, not be paused upon and have every single frame scrutinized. Most filmmakers didn't intend for their films to be enjoyed that way. I know CinemaSins is supposed to be a parody and not taken seriously, but I find that channel annoying because of how nitpicky it is. I get that that's the joke, but I'm not laughing. I'm glad CinemaWins exists. It's like the opposite of CinemaSins and celebrates poorly rated films with a positive spin.

Kermit1 wrote:

I don't like people obsessing over celebrities, guessing who they'll play in a movie and their personal life. They are normal people with more money than you so what.

People get bored. It's the modern equivalent of bored housewives gossiping about their neighbors. I don't like celebrity worship either. I've met some rude celebrities myself, including Samuel L. Jackson.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

HotGoomba

Tasuki wrote:

The reason Iron Man 3 is bad movie is because how they messed up the Mandrian. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a good movie.

This is gonna piss some people off, but I actually was ok with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Of course I would've preferred if he didn't turn out the way he did, but he's not THAT bad, or at least bad enough to ruin an otherwise great movie.

Also stupider has happened in the MCU.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus I've never met a celebrity... I just know people who have.

You could say Frankie Macdonald is the only "celebrity" I've met/seen but he's local.

My Mom had a college professor who was roommates once with Steve Martin. My Dad has gone to quite a few live shows and my Dad saw Billy Preston when he was at college which to you might not be a big deal but to me a huge Beatles fan, I know someone who has worked with The Beatles.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

Maxenmus

HotGoomba wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

The reason Iron Man 3 is bad movie is because how they messed up the Mandrian. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a good movie.

This is gonna piss some people off, but I actually was ok with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Of course I would've preferred if he didn't turn out the way he did, but he's not THAT bad, or at least bad enough to ruin an otherwise great movie.

It most probably will piss some people off, myself excluded. But I think it's not really about who's in the right when it comes to opinions about movies, certainly not when it comes to movies based on something people love. I mean, I enjoyed the Pokémon anime and didn't think it's that bad, even if most Pokémon fans would disagree with me and call Ash a trash trainer. Same thing.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Kermit1doesmath

I watched O Brother Where Art Thou last week and then I watched it a second time that night.

I think I found a new movie I love.

Maxenmus

Just saw the Honest Trailers video of Mary Poppins and I was reminded by the Epic Voice Guy how Disney basically pissed all over Mary Poppins' creator, P.L. Travers, waiting for her to die before releasing the sequel to a film adaptation she hated. Phew, that's evil even for Disney.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus P.L. Travers is a very interesting old (old not odd oops) lady. I've read a lot about her, some of the things she has done are odd to say the least. Ya messed up even for Disney then they hired a lukewarm director to make a sequel to one of the greatest films ever made.

This video is amazing, it is a great re-write of the film. It does have rules which makes the re-write more fun.

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

@Maxenmus P.L. Travers is a very interesting old (old not odd oops) lady. I've read a lot about her, some of the things she has done are odd to say the least.

I did see Disney's biopic of her relationship with Walt, but even with Disney's biased take on the lady, I don't think it's that ethical to harass someone to give over the rights to something you've worked hard on, and then disrespect that person by portraying her as a grumpy bag lady in your biopic just because she didn't like your take on her work, and then further disrespecting her legacy by cashing in on a work she held dearly. Disney just comes off as a self-entitled man-child who couldn't stand different opinions, let alone perfectly justified opinions (because remember, she created Mary Poppins, so I think she has some rights at least to voice out how she didn't like Disney's take).

I came to dislike Disney films as I grew older because of problematic messages in their popular films, but man, their treatment of Travers is something I really couldn't stand.

Maxenmus

Maxenmus

NeonPizza wrote:

Todd Mcfarlin needs to get on this long awaited Spawn reboot, it would be such a breath of fresh air in the midst of these formuliac sagnant and oversaturated Marvel Super duper' hero movies.

I think with DC's "super dark and serious" takes on Batman and Batman and Superman becoming as dark as Batman though, I don't think I'd call Spawn's emergence a "fresh of breath air" at all. lol I did like the first season of the Spawn animated series for what it is - an ultra-violent take on the seedy underbelly of America - but I wouldn't exactly call it subversive or a fresh of breath air either. shrugs

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus that biopic is a good movie. The real story is more interesting, and I thought the flashbacks were terrible for the pacing.

PL Travers adopted a baby, from a pair of twin boys. She went to the house of the twins and brought a psychic-person (I forgot the proper wording), She then adopted only one of the twins, the other twin was then sent to his grandparents (or an uncle) and worked on a farm (I think) and was treated quite poorly and he never knew he had a brother until he was 20 (I think). The adopted twin lived a "nice life" with PL.

I'm not doing this story justice it's very interesting and shows of PL Travers character.

HotGoomba

NeonPizza wrote:

Get ready for Marvel Phase 4 baby lol

Yeah, can't wait for like three more Phase 4 movies and shows (and two specials)!

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

I might give up on modern film if nothing keeps catching my eye. As it is I mainly watch old films anyway and I was looking at my "most wanted to watch list" and I've seen pretty much everything on it (not like I had a lot on it) the only things I have not seen on it are (ranked in order of what I want to watch most, 1 being most):

3 Wonka

2 Paddington 3

1 The Jim Henson Ron Howard Doc (I'm a huge fan of Jim Henson so a new doc is very welcome)

Not that a list matters.

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

@Maxenmus that biopic is a good movie.

I'd begrudgingly say it is kinda a well-made movie, but whether the movie is good... eh, that's debatable depending on your assessment of a biopic's quality. I feel like biopics that unfairly crap on the people they're basing on automatically makes it a bad biopic, but maybe that's just me. I mean, let's face it, Disney isn't gonna make Walt Disney look like the bad guy. It's a biased pic.

NeonPizza wrote:

I dont even care about Spiderman anymore, after seing the last film. THAT was what everybody was raving about? It actually gives me a whole new appreciation for that underrated Amazing Spider man 2 movie.

William Dehaan as Harry was great(His acting was fantastic when he was trying to get Electro to bust out of his test tube), the soundtrack was excellent at hitting those right beats and carrying/driving numers scenes(Like the final confrontation/battle with the Green Goblin in that tower for ex.) and it felt like it actually had a bit of emotional weight to it. Electro sucked though, Jamie Fox was a bad choice for the role and i still dont really care for Andrew Garfields performance as spiderman...But it does have it's momements. Spiderman 1&2 are still the best. Not a fan of the Tom Holland Trilogy. Those movies are too busy winking at the audience, typically goofy, and the casting is totaly questionable.

Much as I enjoyed Tobey Maguire's reappearance, man, that movie was definitely a shameless nostalgia-bait literally cashing in on your childhood. CHA-CHING! The only other thing I liked about it besides the guest appearances was that they finally made Tom Holland's Peter Parker feel like the angst-filled Peter I knew from the comics, so... hooray that they took three movies to do that?

I definitely agree with your take on the Holland trilogy. Really hated or just disliked those movies on some level. I feel like Holland's jokes aren't as funny as those of Andrew's or Josh Keaton's Spider-Man. Look at literally every other Spider-Man that's not Tom Holland or Drake Bell (basically the only Spider-Men Disney owns); they all had a very witty and snarky sense of humor, whereas Tom's humor feels more juvenile and insecure, like he doesn't have the confidence to insult bad guys and just went for a more family-friendly and awkward humor. I'm glad that a lot of new Spider-Man fans like his take and maybe even find him funny, but I just really couldn't get myself to enjoy any form of Spider-Man produced by Disney. I guess it makes sense that he's unfunny and insecure because he's supposed to be a younger Spider-Man, but just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's entertaining.

I guess I can't really blame Marvel though since they probably had to change their writing a lot because of Sony. Without Sony's interference, maybe they could've made a movie I would care about, but eh.

I actually did like some of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 despite its flaws. I think it had potential that wasn't used to its fullest capability. I felt that the Gwen going to London arc was stupid and tacked on, just Peter whining about Gwen heading abroad for her studies. I hated Electro, but not just because of his Batman & Robin level of goofiness as a villain, but also because he was wasted as a villain. You literally have an insecure guy with obvious mental health issues, someone who worshipped you but felt disappointed by the reality of you being a flawed human being, and your solution is to just beat him up, mock him, and kinda just not care about him for the rest of the film? And Spidey is supposed to be the hero of the film? I feel like they could've focused more on Spidey's pride, how he's more popular now, and let that popularity go to his head. I know it's not Peter's fault that Max became aggressive, but still... Peter is all about responsibility. It just felt kinda weird to see Peter act so indifferently to someone with low self-esteem issues when Peter's whole deal was that he was an insecure nerd who got bullied.

I think my biggest gripe with the two Amazing Spider-Man films though is that Marc Webb didn't manage to make the films he envisioned. Sony kept interfering with his scripts, and he ended up making a mess of the film. HiTop Films, as always, made a great video examining this problem.

He's a mega Spider-Man fan like me, and he's made excellent and well-researched videos examining all of the Spider-Man films, and the problems that surfaced in those films and the production.

I particularly liked the first Amazing Spider-Man film too in hindsight after watching HiTop's video. That bridge scene where Peter removed his mask so that he could humanize himself to the kid he's trying to save, that was easily one of the best scenes that showed what Spider-Man stands for as a hero. Marc Webb did understand Spidey on that level, and I feel bad that he never got his due. #releasethewebbcut

NeonPizza wrote:

@Maxenmus
I dont know man. Think about it, having some scorched burn victom living in an Alley flooding with bums, who has demonic super powers, and has to face off against a Demon who disguises himself as a disgusting obese clown stands out amognst the crap being shoveled out from Marvel & DC these days.!

When you put it that way, it does sound kinda ultra-edgy in a goth/emo teenager kind of way, you have to admit. I mean, I get what you're saying, but if it's demons fighting demons, or even having angels involved, I'd much rather see a faithful adaptation of Constantine or even Lucifer. I know they're already doing a Sandman TV show, and Lucifer was spun off from the Sandman comic book, so hopefully, we'll get to see Lucifer done justice too instead of being some boring LA detective in some boring cop procedural.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus all biopics are movies, and I'm not expecting historical facts I can read about those stories. What I'm trying to say is that biopic movies are(/should) normally like a taste of a person's life or a real life event. I think a well made documentary is better than any biopic because you can get the full life story from people that were there or knew the person. The Beatles: Get Back is better than any biopic they could (and have) made. I could go on but ACNH is calling me lol.

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

@Maxenmus all biopics are movies, and I'm not expecting historical facts I can read about those stories. What I'm trying to say is that biopic movies are(/should) normally like a taste of a person's life or a real life event. I think a well made documentary is better than any biopic because you can get the full life story from people that were there or knew the person. The Beatles: Get Back is better than any biopic they could (and have) made. I could go on but ACNH is calling me lol.

Yeah, that's a fair take. I'm not saying it's bad because it's not historically accurate, I'm saying it's bad because it unfairly put someone who existed in real life in a bad light, someone who literally wanted nothing to do with Disney, and therefore wouldn't be able to defend herself. That's not just a bad biopic, that's bullying.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

jedgamesguy

Celebrity neighbours?

Dad used to be neighbours with Chris Martin, of Coldplay.

The less said about that the better.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Kermit1doesmath

Maxenmus wrote:

Yeah, that's a fair take. I'm not saying it's bad because it's not historically accurate, I'm saying it's bad because it unfairly put someone who existed in real life in a bad light, someone who literally wanted nothing to do with Disney, and therefore wouldn't be able to defend herself. That's not just a bad biopic, that's bullying.

I'm not saying those are bad films, it's just that they are normally for (not a bad thing) a more casual audience. Technically all H O L L Y W O O D films are for a casual audience and it's all up to you if you want to watch a film made by a large movie studio.

In the end I think it's silly (I respect your choice though) to cast out all major brands and only buy tiny company products. I own Coca-Cola Monopoly, don't talk to me about not liking major brands.

I need to stop talking before I start questioning my future life choices

I'm sorry I can't get my ideas out properly I wish I could but my stupid dysgraphia & slow processing make it really hard. No use getting mad at myself though that gets no one no where.

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

Maxenmus wrote:

I'm not saying those are bad films, it's just that they are normally for (not a bad thing) a more casual audience. Technically all H O L L Y W O O D films are for a casual audience and it's all up to you if you want to watch a film made by a large movie studio.

In the end I think it's silly (I respect your choice though) to cast out all major brands and only buy tiny company products. I own Coca-Cola Monopoly, don't talk to me about not liking major brands.

I kinda get what you're saying, but I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying to condemn all major brands or major Hollywood studios. It's fine that these tentpole blockbusters are meant for a more casual audience, but that's not what I was criticizing. I was criticizing Disney's distasteful take on a woman who didn't want anything to do with Disney. It's not as if she's a criminal like Ted Bundy, because if that's the case, it would be understandable if a biopic portrays her crimes as a criminal and puts her in a negative light. No, the reality is, that film was obviously told from a biased point of view and made a mockery of a woman who wanted nothing to do with Disney. It's not really about whether it's a bad film or not, it's not about whether people should watch movies by big-name Hollywood studios, it's about that one film I had a problem with, it's about Disney's overall treatment of P.L Travers' estate and legacy, adding on to numerous other problematic and unethical decisions made by Disney as well.

More than many other movie companies, Disney is a greedy money machine that only cares about how much money they could make and add to its already enormous pile of gold coins, and I wish people would stop putting the company or its brand on a pedestal. They don't care about your childhood. They don't care about children. They care about making as much money as possible off your children.

Kermit1 wrote:

I'm sorry I can't get my ideas out properly I wish I could but my stupid dysgraphia & slow processing make it really hard. No use getting mad at myself though that gets no one no where.

It's fine. I just feel like I have to clarify my own stance in this conversation, and I'm not really blaming you or anything. Take a break.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus I understand I just didn't move into that bit properly sorry.

Saving Mr. Banks is a good look into Mr. Walt Disney in the 60s, and how a beloved classic was made and a Disney-esc look at Ms. P.L. Travers. I think it's quite obvious the film cares more about Mary Poppins than P.L. and that ending is like Disney put those emotions into her. Plus she didn't even get invited to her own book's film.

It's good for a Disney movie, but as a biopic about Ms. Travers (if that's even one of her names) it leaves more to be desired.

Now let's talk about GUS the real best Disney film.

I love this new trailer Disney+ made.

I think Disney+ for Switch could be announced at D23 at that Video Game live stream they're having.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic