Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,301 to 3,320 of 6,554

Anti-Matter

@Sunsy
Dora the Explorer movie 2019 was like an amateur version of Indiana Jones style adventure movie in my opinion lol.
I have watched the movie once and never want to watch again after I felt embarrassed from watching some scenes over there.
Also, there was some unnecessary nudity from the cartoon scene when they got hallucinated by Titan Arum flower's pollen. Imagine to see some nudity from Dora cartoon.

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

I watched the black phone yesterday. It was a decent film that had me at the edge of my seat. Made by the same person who also did sinister if you liked that.

NintendoByNature

HotGoomba

I saw Luck today. It was good.

That's all, there's not much noteworthy to say about the film other than it's good. It's a bit basic, but still, a good movie, and a million times better than Lightyear.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

@Sunsy I can't believe I forgot Watcher in the woods on the scary Disney film list. NOW this film is scary, a legit PG horror film.

dysgraphia awareness human

jedgamesguy

@Mioaionios I think Arriety’s a little too short for sure. On one hand it’s easily one of the shorter Studio Ghibli films, at an hour and a bit compared to Miyazaki’s two hour monsters. But on the other hand it’s not like there was all that much more to do anyway. Maybe they could have added more conversation between Sho and Arrietty but ah well…

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Bunkerneath

@TheJGG It's true that Arriety just ended and was too short in my opinion, but not true there was nothing more to do as it's based on the Borrowers, which is 5 books long.

But to be fair Howls Moving Castle didn't really follow the books either (not at all to be honest) and I enjoyed both books and the films

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Maxenmus

TIL that Raya and the Last Dragon is apparently an Avatar: The Last Dragon Airbender ripoff:
Untitled

The only thing I knew about the movie was that it's the only Disney film ever made with a South-East Asian setting, which is cool and all, considering that my country Singapore's part of SEA, but the whole "all South-East Asian culture is automatically kampong sticks and straw hats" stereotype bugged me and I didn't bother to watch it because it felt alien and unrelatable. Newsflash: our culture has evolved past the kampong days. It's like saying America is all about steampunk.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Rambler

@Maxenmus
Sounds like an incredibly generic plot, IMHO.

Sounds like Luke Skywalker's story in ep4 - legendary last dragon being obi-wan

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Maxenmus

@Rambler
Perhaps, but it's more than that, apparently. The whole universe seems similar, and not just one or two people noticed the similarities, but entire Reddit subreddits:

Even the Raya and the Last Dragon subreddit made the connection instead of defending the film. lmao The irony.

And really, even if it's not a ripoff, my opinion about its cultural insensitivity in portraying the so-called "South East Asian experience" still stands:
https://aninjusticemag.com/what-disney-gets-wrong-about-repre...

You gotta love how Disney threw together a bunch of South-East Asian cultures in a hodgepodge and called it a day. Looks like they've learned nothing since their Pocahontas days. I guess since South-East Asia is so far away from America, it isn't as worth getting right like with Mexican and Italian cultures in Coco and Luca.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

jedgamesguy

Has anyone seen Blackadder? One of the funniest pieces of media I’ve ever seen, let alone a TV show.

Especially the fourth season, set during World War I…

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus I'm not shocked. Disney has been stealing more and more lately because (not mainly because) of lazy writing and checking things over properly.

I mean Turning Red and Ms. Marvel are shockingly similar to the point of copying each other.

Maxenmus

@Kermit1
Honestly, I'm less upset about the supposed ripoff (which as Rambler said, might not be a ripoff) at this point and more about the cultural appropriation and insensitivity.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Rambler

@TheJGG I think i prefer series 2 the most, but I they are all superb. Series 1 is a bit of an acquired taste, but I managed it after a few attempts

Rambler

Maxenmus

@Kermit1
I didn't even bother to watch either of those films since their trailers made it look like it's for kids. From what I heard, Turning Red caters to fujoshi kids.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Rambler............................... If it's a superhero one...........................

Maxenmus

@Kermit1
With Disney these days, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've made getting a period into some kind of pretentious metaphor.

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus Ms Marvel is rated TV-14. It's not for kids. Don't get me started on the ratings system. Turning Red is very mature for a PG film it's almost PG-13 but it doesn't have any cursing or lots of blood.

Kermit1doesmath

Maxenmus wrote:

@Kermit1
With Disney these days, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've made getting a period into some kind of pretentious metaphor.

I want to frame this comment so when this does happen I can quote it again.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic