Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,821 to 2,840 of 6,552

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Oh that's great to hear, yeah since you've got a larger screen it does make it easier to notice more details and everything. Nice - it's definitely cool that they're showing those classic films! I did hear It's A Wonderful Life is a great one.

We actually used to have an old-fashioned theater just a couple of blocks away. When I was little, my mom would take me there to see The Lion King during its theatrical release. Unfortunately, it burned down a long time ago...that was really sad to hear.

@Tremblucay That sounds like a great watch. I've seen a trailer for it and looks like something I'd love seeing! I can post my thoughts here when I see it.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Yeah, even the sand is made up of glitter, and though I know this from watching Trolls World Tour on DVD, the country trolls canyons are folded up blankets and when Branch digs into the ground, it's stuffing like what's in a plush toy or a comforter. That's what I love about the Trolls world, it's all arts and crafts inspired, and watching it all on the big screen the other day, looked beautiful. It's all so cute.

I know, my mom and I watch it every Christmas season. It's really nice the same theater is showing it this coming December. Never knew until the other day that there were theaters that showed older and classic movies. Living 5-10 minutes from an AMC, you kind of forget about it. I think the best part about seeing Trolls World Tour is the trip to get there, and the nice town, and the theater itself. I even thanked the theater staff for showing it given it was pulled from theaters right before release.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear. Old fashioned theaters aren't common as an AMC theater. So it feels nice to go to one. Really nice to experience one of my favorite movies in a place like it.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

jump

Rambler wrote:

Interesting article in the guardian - which film would you recommend by a director for the uninitiated?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/09/the-greatest-mov...

Not seen trouble every day, but it looks incredibly violent, so would start with Beau Traville for Claire Denis.

Raging Bill for Scorsese, surely. Odd film for Agnes Varda.

So who else? For me, maybe:

Lynch: Mulholland Dr
Kieslowski - Three Colours Blue, Double Life of Veronique
Goddard - Breathless, Bande a Part
Miyazaki - Totoro
Cronenberg: Existenz
Takeshi Kitano: Hana-Bi
Lukas Moodysson: We Are The Best!

Martin Scorsese - The Joker

Stanly Kubrick - The Moon Landing

David Fincher - The Batman

Tim Burton - The Adams Family

Darren Aronofsky - Perfect Blue

Steven Spielberg - Transformers

Woody Allan - Lolita

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kermit1doesmath

jump wrote:

Woody Allan - Lolita

oof, that true though

dysgraphia awareness human

RR529

Just got back from watching Thor: Love & Thunder in 3D.

It was pretty decent. I think the humor leaned a bit TOO quirky for my tastes, but it still wasn't enough to ruin the serious moments IMO. I think the explanation behind Jane (Mighty) Thor was well done, and quite sad.

As for the 3D, I don't think it was as consistently excellent as Multiverse of Madness, however I thought the scenes on that (black & white) moon looked really good, and the final battle was an absolute tour de force in 3D effect, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FroZtedFlake

@jump David Fincher can be a wild card, The Batman is probably an accurate best starting point, just because the audiences already knows the character and it was received well. But I'd argue it doesn't exactly line up with the rest of his movies and content. Though I wasn't much of a fan of The Batman in the first place lol.
Transformers also seems an odd pick, I don't dislike the first movie but I'm curious why you chose that.

@RR529 I agree with the slight humor critique, Ragnarok was just made that much better by it's humor and it seemed Taika was going for that again. It was still a good comedy and had me at least chuckling at times but sometimes they went a little comedy heavy where it didn't quite need to be. (That is what the MCU can do best sometimes though.) Overall pretty good movie, not quite sure why it's getting worse reviews than some pretty awful marvel movies.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Ohhh, that sounds really nice honestly. Kinda like how Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Woolly World were made. Love that arts-and-crafts aesthetic!

That's awesome you watch it with your mom every Christmas. Yeah, with places like AMC, you'd probably not even be aware of the other theaters that show old movies and stuff. I assumed that only newer movies would be shown. Nice - that shows you were real grateful for seeing it in theaters and everything!

Yeah...that was too bad for sure. I think that happened in the mid-to-late 2000s. I agree with you for sure. Not just theaters, but also places like museums. I got more into old-fashioned things as I get older, even though I was born in the early 90s.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

HotGoomba

@RR529 I really liked the quirky humor, I mean look at me of course I would, but I think I still prefer Ragnarok's humor a little. But overall, both are great movies, and the conflict that I won't mention but anyone who watched the movie would people would understand anyways was pretty sad and unexpected, at least for someone like me who didn't read the comics.

Great movie, probably like it more than MOM (sorry Sam Raimi, still love you), and probably my third favorite movie of the year under Turning Red and Minions The Rise of Gru (I'm only joking a little that movie is better than it has any right to be).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

HotGoomba

Oh, and I enjoyed Minions The Rise of Gru more than Lightyear.

Can't wait for my notifications to be filled with opinions of this movie, don't know if they'll be positive or not, but nonetheless, still horrified.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Rambler

jump wrote:

Stanly Kubrick - The Moon Landing

At first I was like, I've not seen that short, then I realised it's still too early for me for my brain to work

Au revoir les enfants - a film by Michael Bay

Rambler

jump

@Rambler It's good but not his best work, he overlooked some key details which is unlike him like why would the flag be blowing in the wind when there's no wind on the moon and where are all the stars, stars as in shiny things in the sky, not A list movie stars who would have given a better performance Buzz Aldrin?!?!

@HotGoomba

Untitled

@FroZtedFlakerZz It's a list of mockery, The Batman is desperately trying to be a Fincher film, the same with The Joker trying to be 80s Scorsese but both needed jaunty costume characters to make people interested in them, there's been conspiracy nuts convinced Kubrick faked the moon landing for decades, Aronofsky has been milking Perfect Blue for ideas since the 90s and had to buy the rights to avoid getting into trouble, everyone seems to think Tim Burton directed The Adams Family and is better than most of his films anyway, Transformers (which was produced by Spielberg) is the end result of studios chasing the Spielberg type blockbuster formula and Woody Allen is gross.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Yeah, Yoshi's Woolly World reminds me, the first Trolls movie, Poppy gets chased by a yarn-knitted snake in one scene. It's neat you mention that because I got reminded of that creature from the first movie. Given the talks we had in the chit-chat thread, our taste in animation is similar. It think you might like Trolls, at least give the first movie a watch sometime.

Yeah, it's like I was telling a friend the other day. Most have gotten use with an AMC or some other large chain close to home, it makes going to the movies less of an event. I remember as a kid, my family would have to travel out of town to see a movie. It was a trip and made going to the movies more exciting and memorable. That's what I loved about this trip to see Trolls World Tour, it made me nostalgic over those kind of trips. It just helped make the movie more memorable. Between the trip and the old fashion theater, boy it was a treat to see Trolls World Tour on the big screen. Funnily enough, that and Star Wars: A New Hope are the only movies I saw at home first, then theater.

It's gotta be that sense of nostalgia!

@HotGoomba Honestly, I think it's cool you liked the new Minions movie. Minions might not be my favorite characters, I still enjoyed the main Despicable Me movies, and seeing Gru in the picture makes it a bit more interesting, so I might wait to see it. A friend and I are going to try to see Thor, and we recently got lucky by seeing Trolls World Tour on the big screen thanks to a local theater. That's two theater trips this summer so far.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Kermit1doesmath

@jump I only like a handful of Woody Allen films, I'd never defend him though.

btw that dumb Woody Allen Alec Baldwin instagram interview was like two grandpas skyping lol.

jump

@Kermit1 Meh, I've not heard of the interview you're talking about and both Woody and Alec have little interest to me. Like if Alec really is the greatest actor in the word then why is his magnum opus 30 Rock so cringy? ;p

If we are talking bizarre film interviews, then I want the one from Trent Reznor! I want to see Mr Nine Inch Nails the edgelord rock god of depression, drugs and nihilism talk about what it's like winning an Oscar for a Disney film.

Nicolai wrote:

Kermit1doesmath

Award shows are boring and overrated, and are only fun if you work within the business. Yay a mega studio won an award for a good film? It's all way too debatable in my opinion, you like what you like don't let a mega studio tell you this is the greatest film to ever grace movies and you need to see it because you gotta get the hype.

I'm venting. Because H-o-l-l-y-W-o-o-d makes me wanna punch wood sometimes.

@jump Alec Baldriwn was never that good of an actor in the first place. He's good sparingly not staring.

Sunsy

@Kermit1 Even though I do enjoy The Game Awards every year (those new game reveals are worth it), I agree 100%. I stopped watching the Oscars ages ago. They barely nominate movies I like anyway aside from maybe one or two Disney movies, so I usually don't watch them and play games that night or something anyway.

Kermit1 wrote:

you like what you like don't let a mega studio tell you this is the greatest film to ever grace movies

This, I wish people felt this way more about people liking the things they like.

Kermit1doesmath

@Sunsy I love the Game Awards and all the lovely cringe and reveals.

I love MirrorMask and Labyrinth, despite what people say these 2 films are in my top 3 of all time and I love everything about them (minus Mr. David Bowie's slim pants...). They have flaws but I adore them.

The Muppet Movie is my favourite film of all time btw.

Rambler

The best awards are the Grammy's and the Brit awards.
The Grammy's have a best polka album category, which has been won by... one band for every year it has been awarded.

The Brit awards gave Annie Lennox their gongs even when she didn't have a record out as they were incapable of thinking of any other female artist.

Although my favourite is the Oscar given to Tom Hanks for not being gay.

Rambler

Sunsy

Currently watching Turning Red again, and my mother got a call, so I'm just waiting for her to be done to continue the movie. I've seen the movie before and I like it.

@Kermit1 Sometimes the orchestra, I still love that Super Smash Bros performance from the 2018 show.

Cool. Some of mine include Pinocchio, Trolls and its sequel Trolls World Tour, Smurfs The Lost Village, Frozen and Frozen II, Luca, My Little Pony The Movie, just to name a few. Most of those did not win awards. Maybe Frozen, but honestly, I don't follow award shows so I wouldn't know. I just love these movies.

Awesome!

@Rambler Another good awards are the Annie Awards. While I never seen the show, I think it's not a televised one, I sometimes look at the Annie Awards nominations and results. They tend to specialize in animation, while the Oscars basically treats the category like it's the "Disney award" most years. I like animated stuff the most, so it interests me a bit.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic