Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,801 to 2,820 of 6,550

FroZtedFlake

Alrighty I got back to a computer lol, so me and my friends went and saw the new Thor and I really found it quite enjoyable. Taika Waititi has yet to fail in the MCU, because I'd say Love and Thunder can stand up to Ragnarok (I enjoy Ragnarok a bit more for my own reasons).
Don't go into the movie expecting big MCU story expansion or lore, this movie could stand on it's own and only really relies on you having watched endgame and ragnarok. It was a nice blend of action and comedy that I'd give a solid 8 to.
(minor spoilers) I had a few problems with it, mainly the fact that the movie revolves around a wish-granting mcguffin that apparently just existed which makes the fight for the infinity stones... less impactful? I don't know maybe it was just me, but knowing that you could've granted a wish just by going somewhere rather than create entire blockbusters about finding magic rocks and losing friends just felt weird.

2 end credits for all going to see it

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Sunsy

@Tremblucay Indeed, that's what I love about Trolls, there's some nice heartfelt moments that made me tear up. Both happy and sad tears, in World Tour's case, happy tears. Another good example is the True Colors scene from the first movie.

Trolls spoilers...
A troll Poppy trusted, Creek, betrays the trolls, making Poppy lose all hope, and lose her color (Trolls lose their color when scared, deeply sad, or lose all hope). I started crying because Poppy throughout the movie is upbeat, positive, and always looks to the bright side of things. Then Branch starts singing "True Colors" to her, which in turn helps her get her color and hope back. Then those sad tears turn happy.

That's what I love about this movie series (as well as the spin-off holiday specials and Netflix/Hulu series), it may be cute and silly on its surface, but there's heart to them. Though, I do like the characters are cute too.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

NintendoByNature

Not really a movie, but I've finished stranger things multiple times over( it's my favorite show of all time). What would be ideal to watch if you're into that show and you've finished it? Fyi I've also watched fear street which is awesome btw.

NintendoByNature

Okami1

I just watched Matinee with John Goodman
This movie is awesome! from all the homages to William Castle and the gimmicks of cinema, to all the classic monster movie love and love of cinema. 9/10 in my book

Edited on by Okami1

dysgraphia awareness human

HotGoomba

Watched Thor Love and Thunder, I loved it more than Doctor Strange MOM, and I'm not allowing any of you to be spoiled by me. Try asking me, I dare you. I won't spoil you.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

NintendoByNature

@Kermit1 but what if the recommendation is a movie. Would I be directed from the TV show thread back to this thread? 🤔

NintendoByNature

RR529

Watched X-Men: Apocalypse this morning.

I've always bounced off it every other time I've tried to watch it (usually just catching it on cable), but actually making the point to watch it & I have to say I liked it more than I thought I would. Still not as good as First Class & it was a bit overly long, but a decent enough superhero action (would have liked to see more Psylocke though).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@NintendoByNature Starnger Things is clearly 80s kids who liked Stephen King films growing up and then made their own Stephen King show only it's not actually based on a Stepphen King book so I'd give IT, Christine, Firestarter, Carrie, Needful Things, Stand By Me, The Shining, Doctor Sleep, The Dead Zone etc a watch. Doctor Sleep in particular is criminally underrated.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

HotGoomba wrote:

Watched Thor Love and Thunder, I loved it more than Doctor Strange MOM, and I'm not allowing any of you to be spoiled by me. Try asking me, I dare you. I won't spoil you.

Let me guess, does the good guy win at the end of the movie after 2+ hours of constant quips which removes any underlying tension and emotion from the movie whilst the audience chased pop culture references even if they don't know what the references are or am I thinking of every single Marvel film? ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jedgamesguy

Finished The Wind Rises a few minutes ago. A beautiful story about corruption and ruin. The ending was perfect.

I'm just speechless... again. Now I've seen 10 Ghibli films... and I've barely scratched the surface.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Snatcher

@HotGoomba Do you really see a full butt naked Thor? Be honest!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Mioaionios

I saw the brand new Netflix animated movie The Sea Beast yesterday and it was glorious!
This movie can easily be described as epic. The animation was stunning and while the story itself might not be the most original, it was told very well. The scale of the monsters in particular was a sight to behold. You feel how big they are. Highly recommended!

@NintendoByNature
Here are some recommendations from me:

• Oculus (2013, Mike Flanagan)
  • Before I Wake (2016, Mike Flanagan)
  • Doctor Sleep (2019, Mike Flanagan)
  • The Orphanage (2007, J. A. Bayona)
  • Pan's Labyrinth (2006, Guillermo Del Toro)
  • The Devil's Backbone (2001, Guillermo Del Toro)
  • Let the Right One In (2008, Tomas Alfredson)
  • It chapters 1 and 2 (2017, 2019, Andy Muschietti)
  • The Black Phone (2022, Scott Derrickson, in theaters right now)

@RR529
While I liked some of Fox's X-Men movies, they were all over the place in quality and were terrible at following continuity. I hope the MCU does better with the property once they get introduced.

@TheJGG
The Wind Rises is beautiful, both in its animation and in its storytelling. Glad you liked it.

@Snatcher
Yes. Yes you do. 😜

Edited on by Mioaionios

Mioaionios

HotGoomba

jump wrote:

HotGoomba wrote:

Let me guess, does the good guy win at the end of the movie after 2+ hours of constant quips which removes any underlying tension and emotion from the movie whilst the audience chased pop culture references even if they don't know what the references are or am I thinking of every single Marvel film? ;p

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, let's just leave that unanswered.

@Snatcher
🤫

Edited on by HotGoomba

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Rambler

Stranger Things is interesting from a social point of view as the creators were born in the mid 80s. Therefore the whole set up (er, being school-aged, not monsters) is not based upon any recollections or emotions.
It's more like a hypnagogic creation predicated on puiblicly-available tropes.
So it is a show based upon recollections of what it was like in the 80s - however it is not the authors' recollections.
A borrowed nostalgia, to quote a famous song.

Rambler

Rambler

@NintendoByNature
Any horror film from the 80s?
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween

Teenagers in peril from monsters is well-established trope.

For alternative look at teenage alienation, I would Suggest Society, which I hope a few on here have seen

Rambler

jedgamesguy

@Tremblucay Agreed, it's a really well crafted film. The final scenes were incredibly subtle and was very beautiful at the same time. I loved the scenes where Jiro was talking to Caproni too, the symbolism of his words were perfect, especially at the end. Walking through the once-green field now riddled with felled planes, spoken to by the ghost of his late wife, all with his imaginary hero. Perfect.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jump

@Rambler Yeah, it’s the same with Marvel. People are chasing these pop culture references they don’t know just so they can get the high of excitement from seeing a character they knowingly loved for decades come to life without having to invest decades or their love into it first. It’s also like an odd zeitgeist fandom when your local sports team get to the final or England are playing so every idiot comes out to watch them in the pub.

Not that either Stranger Things or the MCU are bad but its too derivative and palatable at times compared to their influences/source material.

Although saying that I’m just as much as a sucka as I would have seen the new Marvel film already if I didn’t have covid at the moment.

Nicolai wrote:

Snatcher

@HotGoomba Awww man! Don’t leave me hanging!

@Rambler That’s, actually what I like about it. I know it sounds odd but I just like how they do it with no shame, it’s not like there hiding it, they want you to know, they loved those movies, they loved those characters and such.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic