Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,621 to 2,640 of 2,802

jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

Also watched X-Men: Days of Future Past over the weekend.

Overall pretty solid, though not as good as First Class (and from what I understand, outside of the spinoffs like Deadpool, it's all downward from here). Nice seeing the old cast too, even if they didn't do much with them.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tremblucay

@RR529
Yeah, the X-Men movies after DoFP aren't great. First Class is my favorite of the bunch.

Silenzio, Bruno!

Twitter:

HotGoomba

jump wrote:

@Rambler Untitled

Like it or not, this is the ideal woman and man.

Edited on by HotGoomba

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Kermit1

I just watched Doctor Strange & The Multiverse Of Madness

It was mediocre, in my opinion and it doesn't help that I'm feeling burnt out by superhero films. I still don't like America Chavez I still think her powers are a little too crazy, I only really liked the Bruce Campbell cameo. 3/10

Currently playing: Animal Crossing New Horizons, Okami HD

SW-0553-8644-3608 I'm Kermit1 and ask before you friend please

My dead YouTube channel

#TeamSlime

HotGoomba

@Kermit1

Personally, I thought that it was pretty good. Worse than Moon Knight, but still a fun and decent time, and also slightly more violent than the Muppet Babies and most MCU films.

Edited on by HotGoomba

Don't click on it.

Kermit1

@HotGoomba I liked the horror in it tbh, and also I thought this was 5 times better than Moon Knight

and might I ask why horror snobs always think they're better than everybody and genre, just because you watch scary movies does not make you better than anyone else, and it does not make that genre better.
woopty doo you watched a scary movie and lived to tell the tale. I fully understand why people like horror as a genre but just because I don't like it does not mean rub it in my face and yell Scared Pumped you upset at me.

On another note I'm sick of animation being divided between Kids and Adults, with very little "middle ground". I know it's been like this for a long while now but I think the divide is getting bigger, recently I saw BELLE which was rated PG and used the rating to it's full advantage (like an 80's movie, don't ya'll love those?). And I think it's pointless to make content strictly for Adults, yea you get to push the envelope of what's possible with animation (not really). But it's fully possible for you to cater to both sides so just TRY. And yes I know that Dsney has made some "films" recently that pushed the "edge" of PG (not really). I'd like to see a mainstream animation studio make a non comedy, non soap opera (drama), non gory, animated PG film for all ages.

YES I KNOW I'M RAMBLING BUT I NEEDED TO SAY ALL THAT, I KNOW I COULD HAVE WORDED IT BETTER, AND NOW ALL OF YOU MIGHT THINK I'M A WUSS NOW FOR NOT LIKING R RATED STUFF
I'M JUST TIRED OF SEEING VERY LITTLE MIDDLE GROUND IN ANIMATION RIGHT NOW

Edited on by Kermit1

Currently playing: Animal Crossing New Horizons, Okami HD

SW-0553-8644-3608 I'm Kermit1 and ask before you friend please

My dead YouTube channel

#TeamSlime

skywake

Kermit1 wrote:

I just watched Doctor Strange & The Multiverse Of Madness

It was mediocre, in my opinion and it doesn't help that I'm feeling burnt out by superhero films. I still don't like America Chavez I still think her powers are a little too crazy, I only really liked the Bruce Campbell cameo. 3/10

Did the same, obviously because of the Disney+ release. I feel pretty similar about it I think. I mean it wasn't BAD and I still kinda enjoyed it, clearly more than you did. But it was far from the best Marvel movie and it was well short of what I was kinda hoping from it. Seemed a bit too much of a character arc regression

Eg if you watched WandaVision you get through that and you think Wanda is in a better place than she was at the start of it. But in this movie she's just immediately the biggest villain in the multi-verse. Without any particularly logical reason that fits within her character arc. She literally ends WandaVision by freeing Westview because she realises how evil controlling other people is.... then she spends this entire movie doing the exact same thing

The movie also suffered a bit from too many OP heroes/villains. When your final battle is literally between a villain who can basically do anything and an undead wizard both fighting over some character who can send stuff to an entirely different universe..... there aren't many stakes. At least not in a way that you can relate to or any that they're not going to immediately find some random solution for

But..... I didn't mind it. Not bad. Not great. Probably just slides into my bottom 5 MCU Movies

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

I only watch horror movies as it's the bestest genre unlike rom-coms or sci-fi that aren't even movies really. I'm like whoa, I just watched a horror movie. In your face movie as you didn't scare me into having a heart attack therefore I've proved I'm a fearless testosterone pumping alpha male. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

HotGoomba

I hate horror movies, they're too spooky for me 🥺👉👈

I'm perfectly fine with thrillers and films/shows with light horror elements. I'm just not jumping out of my seat to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, like, ever.

Jurassic Park is the only real "horror" movie I love, and it's not even technically a "horror".

Doctor Strange 2 kinda worried me because I didn't like horror movies, but honestly, it was like LeapFrog's version of horror.

Not that that's a bad thing, and there's some legitimately creepy stuff that I won't go into, it's a great way to wet a Marvel kid's boxers.

Don't click on it.

Pizzamorg

Horror is my favourite genre, I can honestly say this is the first I have ever seen horror fans called elitists of cinema. The idea of that is just hilarious to me, honestly, given horror has been the punching bag of cinema for basically ever.

But yeah, Multiverse of Madness sucked. Imagine thinking it was fine to release this when Everything, Everywhere, All at Once literally just came out, or hell, even the new Spider-Man movie. MoM had no real human element to hold the film together, very few surprises and simply unacceptably low quality production values in the context of how much money the MCU has. The fans deserve so much more.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Tremblucay

There are good movies to be found in every genre, including horror.

While not my favorite genre, there are a couple of horror movies I really love, like the first Alien and Hereditary. There's one director in particular that I think does horror very well, Mike Flanagan. He made Oculus, Hush and Doctor Sleep, among others. He's mostly known for his Netflix miniseries though The Haunting of Hill House, Bly Manor and Midnight Mass.

Speaking of Multiverse of Madness, I enjoyed it but it's in the bottom half of MCU movies. I couldn't shake the feeling that this movie went through a lot of rewrites. A typical case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Silenzio, Bruno!

Twitter:

Pizzamorg

While this will probably make me sound like exactly the kind of snob Kermit was talking about above, it is kinda sad to me that Flanagan's first work 'Absentia' has been mostly forgotten it seems, as I think it is above and beyond his finest work. Literally nothing he has ever done since has come close to me. As someone who has been watching horror forever, films that genuinely terrify me like that did, are so rare.

PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Tremblucay

@Pizzamorg
I saw Absentia and liked it very much, but I don't consider it his best work.
Hush is my personal favorite of his.

Silenzio, Bruno!

Twitter:

Gryffin

HotGoomba wrote:

I hate horror movies, they're too spooky for me 🥺👉👈

I'm perfectly fine with thrillers and films/shows with light horror elements. I'm just not jumping out of my seat to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, like, ever.

Jurassic Park is the only real "horror" movie I love, and it's not even technically a "horror".

Doctor Strange 2 kinda worried me because I didn't like horror movies, but honestly, it was like LeapFrog's version of horror.

Not that that's a bad thing, and there's some legitimately creepy stuff that I won't go into, it's a great way to wet a Marvel kid's boxers.

Lol "leapfrog's version of horror." That's inspired.

Gryffin

Gryffin

I watched Multiverse of Madness last night, too. Ended writing my longest review yet.

My ★★★½ review of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/2Xr1uR

Gryffin

Pizzamorg

Tremblucay wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I saw Absentia and liked it very much, but I don't consider it his best work.
Hush is my personal favorite of his.

I would say Hush is probably his best film since Absentia. Siegal really carried it for me (what a lucky dude Flanagan is by the way, dude is absolutely punching).

My main issue with Hush is it felt like a short film stretched as close to feature length as they could get it, which undermined some of the best parts for me. Small bursts of excitement interspersed around far too many shots of the killer just hanging out and the heroine panicking, but neither doing much to validate the need to linger on these moments or have sequences like this so frequently - other than to pad the movie out.

Also, I remember watching it and feeling sure some big twist was coming to flip the film on it's head and to promote a rewatch, but the twist just never comes. All the little hints and teases that something was coming just end up being frustrating red herrings.

RR529

Eh, Multiverse of Madness was fine. Probably the best MCU movie post Endgame (with the massive citation that I haven't seen No Way Home yet).

Should give it a rewatch on Disney+ soon though, as admittedly a big reason why I liked it was how good it looked in 3D.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HotGoomba

RR529 wrote:

Should give it a rewatch on Disney+ soon though, as admittedly a big reason why I liked it was how good it looked in 3D.

Honestly same, I saw the movie in 3D by complete accident, but it was an amazing experience. I should rewatch it too, I wanna see if it holds up.

Don't click on it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic