Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 6,552

jump

@Gryffin it's just lazy people trying to pass something off as articulate criticism.

Maybe I'm too contrarian but I think the worse type of casting is when they use a pigeon holed actor in the exact type of role you'd expect them to play. There are a few people (normally Mark Strong whenever I watch something) who as soon as you see them you know they are the bad guy which signals where the story will go before it's told but say if you have the beloved Tom Hanks or Julie Andrews as the evil Nazi chainsaw wielding maniac now you have my attention!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump you get to see a lot of Julie Andrews in this...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.O.B._(film)

Mark Strong has totally been typecast, and he was so good in Our Friends in the North.

I do think actors can be miscast, although it is a quick way to sound clever. Not all actors have an infinite range, and they might only realise their limitations once the contracts have been inked.

But Harold Pinter really rated Danny Dyer, so what do I know?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Whenever I go to see something at the Harold Pinter Theatre that's always the fact I bust out to make myself sound cultured whilst I drink my slushie and eat a bag of Creme Eggs as I enjoy the arts.

It's only because they were both cockney, if Dyer was a yank he would have hated him. Besides his career on Eastenders proves he can cry, shout, be geezerish and all other sorts of emoting!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump a bag of creme eggs??

There's a film called The Business (I think) which Dyer does the voiceover for in a tone of a an excited schoolboy who needs the toilet. It makes it incredibly funny.

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

Recently I rewatched Bill & Ted Bogus Journey, It's still as funny as I remember it.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

jump

@Rambler damn, I showed how uncultured I am by saying bag instead of saying pouch. Just give me a moment to let me put on my monocle to show how cultury I am.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump well, a creme egg apparently weighs 40g, so a bag weighs somewhere in the region of 280t (approximately - I may have forgotten to carry the 1).

In a theatre setting I would imagine that use of dropping the monocle in suprise would come in handy to justify such a chocolate behemoth

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Well I do work out so I don’t notice weights the same way you mere mortals do. My missus has to roll my barbell up down and down the room as the plates are too heavy for her to take off.

However I misspoke and I usually get the a bag of mini creme eggs rather than full sized ones. Them being mini is what makes them truly cultured-ish.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

@Gryffin Followed you, I really like your review style! They'll be enjoyable to read from time to time!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Gryffin

TheJGG wrote:

@Gryffin Followed you, I really like your review style! They'll be enjoyable to read from time to time!

Oh thanks! That's nice of you. I think I just read your Last Jedi review too haha. You make a lot of great points.

Gryffin

Sunsy

Watched Chickenhare and the Hamster of Darkness on Netflix this evening. Silly name, but the movie itself, I thought it was pretty good. It told the story of a hare who had chicken feet, wanting to become an adventurer. It was a fun movie, adventurous, and it got exciting towards the end. Surprised by this movie.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

XandertheWise

Found some classic old movies to watch on Tubi this weekend

the old 1960s Day of the Triffids movie and the wacky Shelly Winters creature feature Tentacles

XandertheWise

Kermit1doesmath

I just watched Top Gun: Maverick... My brain is now butter, I loved it

dysgraphia awareness human

RR529

Watched the Fifth Element this morning. 90's future sci-fi flick centering around Bruce Willis as a(n ex-military) cabbie whom is roped into protecting a woman who is the key to saving the universe from an interdimensional threat as foretold by an ancient Egyptian prophecy.

They ultimately don't focus too much on the nature of the end threat (though it's revealed to be sentient it might as well be some sort of natural disaster), instead focusing on all the myriad factions trying to nab the girl, and it feels oddly constrained for a movie about the fate of the universe (the only section of the film that takes place off Earth is on an opulent cruise ship on a planet that's mostly water).

However it's a decently fun time. It's writing doesn't seem to take itself very seriously, it's very aesthetically loud (like the future is super extreme 90's) in a way that has to be seen, has a fun (flying) car chase & gun fight, Chris Tucker seems to be having fun chewing it up as an OTT TV/Radio personality, and Milla Jovovich spends the entire film running around half naked (fully once or twice) if that's your thing.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@RR529 It is bonkers that the protagonist and antagonist never actually meet. I kept waiting for Gary Oldman and Bruce Willis to have a scene together but then the credits roll.

I know everyone rates Leon, Lucy, La Femme Nikita and The Fifth Element as their favourite Luc Besson work but I like the madness of The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adèle Blanc Sec myself.

Nicolai wrote:

Mioaionios

Hi there,
Here are some of my thoughts on recent films.

Lightyear was a huge disappointment for me, particularly because of the writing. The characters were dumb and stumbled their way through the movie. And while the animation was gorgeous, I thought Giacchino's original score was very repetitive. Worst Pixar movie since Cars 2. 4/10

Jurassic World: Dominion got panned by critics and I was bracing myself for the worst, but I enjoyed myself with this one. Thought it was the best Jurassic movie since the original. That said, I was never a big fan of the franchise to begin with. 6/10

After Yang was one of those pleasant surprises that came out of nowhere. It's a small movie but with a lot of heart. Also, it has one of the best opening credit scenes I've ever seen. 7/10

Top Gun: Maverick blew me away with its glorious action scenes. It was a monumental experience in IMAX but like the original doesn't have a lot of substance. Still, one of the best "experiences" you'll get in theaters this year. 8/10

Everything Everywhere All At Once is a bonkers movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the originality of it and laughed out loud numerous times. It's also surprisingly deep with a crushing emotional core. One of the year's best for sure. 9/10

Turning Red is my favorite of the year so far. This is what I like to see from Pixar: original storytelling and endearing characters. Not quite as rewatchable as Luca was last year in my opinion, but it comes very close. 9/10

Mioaionios

Gryffin

jump wrote:

@RR529 It is bonkers that the protagonist and antagonist never actually meet. I kept waiting for Gary Oldman and Bruce Willis to have a scene together but then the credits roll.

I know everyone rates Leon, Lucy, La Femme Nikita and The Fifth Element as their favourite Luc Besson work but I like the madness of The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adèle Blanc Sec myself.

I've never even heard of that movie, so that's exciting.

I think Valerian is super underrated. Really enjoyed that movie. And I also rewatched The Messenger recently and loved it too. I guess I didn't write a review for it, sadly, but it's a great film.

Gryffin

Rambler

He was 91, but Jean-Louis Trintignant has died and that is still sad.
Was in stuff like The Conformist, Three Colours: Red, and Haneke's Amour among many many others.

Rambler

Sunsy

Watched Maya the Bee 3: The Golden Orb. Funny how this worked out, I ordered the DVD as someone who likes the first and second movie, and the trilogy showed up on Tubi. Bit of history, I remember watching Maya the Bee when I was little. Because of that, I saw the first movie years ago and loved it.

This third movie, I have to say I enjoyed it. Maya and her friend Willy come across an ant who's being chased by a beetles, and have the responsibility of bringing a golden orb to the ant's home, Bonsai Peak. It turns out, the orb was an egg that hatches, to reveal a baby ant who is a princess, meant to be a ruler of Bansai Peak. Maya, Willy, and two ants, Arnie and Barnie go on an adventure to bring the princess home, while trying to avoid the beetles.

I liked the movie, honestly, I feel this movie series is pretty underrated IMHO. Wouldn't say the animation is up there with Pixar or DreamWorks, but the environment it takes place in, still is beautiful to look at.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic