Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 6,559

Kermit1doesmath

Tubi is a wonderful rabbit hole of oddness

dysgraphia awareness human

Sunsy

@RR529 Honestly I had a lot of fun with this movie. I remember watching the original cartoon as a kid from time to time, so I'm familiar with it. Had a little too much fun with the references, and spotting stuff I recognized. The convention scene was really fun, seeing all those characters like Mantis from Kung Fu Panda, the ponies from My Little Pony, Doc McStuffins just to name a few. Had fun spotting stuff on the bootleg parts wall including Jimmy Neutron's hair. Also, I loved how this was basically a redemption arc for the old Sonic movie Sonic model, now known as Ugly Sonic, lol.

Also, loved how Gadget kept her original voice actress. Just a nice little thing they did.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

RR529

@Sunsy, yeah, I definitely remember seeing Jimmy Neutron's hair, as well as the DreamWorks characters too. Also the Garfield reference too (in the bootlegging workshop). Also love that they got politics right, what with the "Senator Butthead" (from Beavis & Butthead) reference. Also liked the references to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, from Roger himself, to Peter Pan having a small bottle of Dip (the stuff in WFRR that can kill cartoons).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

@RR529 The bootlegs were really fun. I was surprised I spotted a Snork. Talk about going all the way back to an obscure reference. The amusing part about the DreamWorks reference is that the two characters who appeared with Pumbaa, were all voiced by Seth Rogan. Thought that was clever.

For what's it's worth, I haven't seen Monsters vs. Aliens. Hopefully I will one day. Been checking out other DreamWorks movies after seeing Trolls World Tour. So far I liked them all, haven't found one I didn't like. Still recognized the alien from trailers I've seen.

I like how Main Street, I spotted Phineas and Ferb's mother. Chip's freezer had a TV dinner with Foghorn Leghorn on it, and I missed it the first time, Ice Age ice cream. I did find the Nick Jr story to be funny, I didn't expect a story like that to be told.

Really hoping to watch it again, with my friend. I think my friend is going to have a great time with this movie.

Edit: fixed spoilers

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

RR529

Just finished watching Just One of the Guys (currently free on Pluto TV). 80's comedy that follows a female high school student as she decides to go undercover as a Boy for a week at another school, as she believes the only reason her journalism assignment didn't win a competition was because she's a girl, and she'd be able to succeed at the other school as a boy.

The main premise for the swap is soon largely dropped (outside of some lip service at the end of the film) in favor of typical 80's teen romance/drama cliches (they don't even bother to explain how she's able to skip out from her own school for an entire week, let alone why this other school just let's "him" walk in), so your enjoyment of it will entirely come down to how much you enjoy said cliches. That said, it gains some level of uniqueness just for the pure Ranma-esque web of relationships (you have Terry's shallow college aged boyfriend whom she's trying to hide her adventure from, the girl who has the hots for "boy" Terry, the dorky boy Terry decides to help out socially whom she starts to like but can't tell him in order to maintain her facade, who himself begins to catch the eye of the school's hottest girl, which draws the ire of the cliche douchebag jock. Then you have Terry's dateless best friend, & her perpetually horny younger brother whom is a carbon copy of Bud Bundy from Married With Children, right down to being named Bud).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Pizzamorg

Finally watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. Very rare for me to see a movie hyped as something special, yet it somehow be even more special than it was promised to be.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

RR529

Saw Top Gun Maverick at the cinema last night.

I don't have any specific attachment to the original film, but I thought this one was really good. I think it helps that while it is a reboot, it feels like one that they (or at least Cruise) really wanted to do rather than just being a cash in (it ends in a way that it ties up character relationships/drama left over from the first film really well).

Of course the action in the sky was the real draw for me & it didn't disappoint. There was plenty of it, brilliantly filmed, with the climax being one of the most excitingly tense showdowns I've seen in a while. The last act of the movie really feels like they commited an Ace Combat game to film, which is really impressive given the sheer amount of physical stunt work on display.

Seemed to be a real crowd pleaser for the relatively largish audience in attendance, too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Kermit1doesmath

@RR529 Was Val Kilmer's scene handled well? I'm a Val Kilmer fan

RR529

@Kermit1, yeah, that seemed to be handled pretty well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Kermit1doesmath

@RR529 Ok, I might see this then, when it hits VOD. I'd see it but Jurassic World 3 is coming out soon.

(at least I have Tubi and all it's free oddness to keep me entertained)

RR529

@Kermit1, yeah, my theatre is supposed to be having a few showings of JW Dominion in 3D, so I'm gonna try seeing it that way if I can.

Also, you should download Pluto TV & FreeVee as well (if they're available in your region), since they're free like Tubi (it does seem like a lot of stuff is shared between them, but there's also a lot that'll be on one but not the others).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Kermit1doesmath

@RR529 I live in Canada, so I'll check to see if I have those.

(side note, I started watching MST3K and I love it)

Kermit1doesmath

@RR529 update: I don't have either service in my country. (but thanks for recommending)

Bunkerneath

@jump Finished the 3 hours long RRR, my god! That was just pure mental Bollywood action, I think they swore to die for each other other 50 times, but never did.
Brilliant though! Even the wife liked it and she is not a fan of action, but it was so over the top you jsut couldn't not watch it to see what they would do next.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

RR529

Just finished up watching The Wolverine in my journey through all the X-Men films. I'd seen it before, though I actually think I enjoyed it more the second time (I think I may have been slightly unnecessarily confused by the separate factions the first time). I really appreciated the fight on top of the bullet train in a way I hadn't before, and it was the first time I watched a film on Blu Ray in awhile & I forgot how good the picture quality could be that way.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

jump

@Bunkerneath I'm glad you liked it.

I'm ashamed to say I was asked to go to the cinema to see it however I didn't know anything about it besides it's 3 hours long and a Bollywood film so I said no. Out of all the uses for time travel saying yes to seeing RRR in the cinema would be at the very top so killing baby Hitler and buying stock in Apple can shove it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

Saw the Bob's Burgers movie. It was a good time and comes recommended if you like the show. [Slight spoilers incoming] It starts off strong and it was a joy watching the characters move around more fluidly during songs (I actually wish there had been more songs). However, to me the movie never goes beyond just being a good episode of the show with a longer runtime and better budget. Obvious villain was obvious, has the worst song out of the handful, and the final act wraps things up conventionally. Still, the movie had a few moments at the end that gave me the warm fuzzies.

Side note - I saw a trailer for the next Thor movie and it actually looked like a fun movie. I say this as someone who has absolutely no interest in Marvel or their cinematic universe (and I'm actually annoyed by the oversaturation of those movies - but thats another topic). What did it for me was the scene where, presumably Thor, was out of shape and excersizing with massive chains to 'Sweet Child of Mine' (while wearing a trucker cap. Kinda looked like a washed up Terry Bogard).

Next up is Jurassic World Dominion. Not to be snobby but I'm not optimistic about this one. Based on a short advert trailer I recently saw they're using Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum to reference moments from the first movie. Not surprising, but I hate that stuff. We'll see how it goes. I really like Jurassic World. It has none of the nuance of the first movie (heck, of the first three) but it's still an entertaining flick. Fallen Kingdom on the other hand had to be one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen in theaters.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@Losermagnet Yeah, it's when people live in a bubble of only superhero films to the point they are rewatching the rubbish ones over and over again instead of non-superhero movies is where I start to think maybe they are destroying cinema. But at the same time I love superhero films and actually go and pay to see other films too. A page or two ago after someone posted a vid of the new Thor trailer whilst complaining they are bored of Marvel I posted 5/6 trailers of cool looking new genre/action movies which aren't superhero stuff so it's people own faut if they are only watching Marvel.

The Thor movies basically had to change direction hard, the first one was directed by Kenneth Branagh which wanted to be a superhero Shakespearian fantasy but after the second film which is widely considered the worst Marvel film they decided to revamp it. They had hired the wonderfully odd Taika Waititi who directed Jojo Rabbit and What We Do in the Shadows to take over directing which has resulted in the new fun bonkers take which started with Thor: Ragnarok. Marvel backed him hard too and opened their cheque book to get some big tunes like Led Zepplin who allegedly ask for millions to use their songs.

I've got little interest in the new Jurassic Park as it will be meh but my missus loves monsters, dinosaurs type films so I'm pretty certain I will see it on the opening weekend.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic