Forums

Topic: The Unoffical Dark Knight Rising Thread

Posts 341 to 358 of 358

turtlelink

I'd have to say The Amazing Spider Man is my fav superhero movie this year~ Though it may just be because I Iooove Spider Man lol

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

WesCash

HawkeyeWii wrote:

@WesCash I'll give you that it wasn't as good as it's predecessor but a mess?? no I don't think so.

I did say somewhat of a mess. I still love the movie, don't get me wrong. I went out and bought it on blu-ray today and I can't wait to watch it again. I just thought it had pacing issues and there were a fair amount of plot points that really tested my suspension of disbelief.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

HawkeyeWii

Yeah, at one point I was putting Spider-man above Avengers on my list, but idk. I'm still not really sure why critics didn't give it a higher score. I thought it was better than the Maguire films, especially when you compare both debuts. It is the most faithful to the comics, that's for sure!

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

Odnetnin

WesCash wrote:

DarkKnight wrote:

Surprisingly, I would argue that Avengers is a much better overall film. It has easily one of the funniest writer-director auteurs in the industry, not to mention six superheros in one movie. It's a comic book movie fan's dream.

TDKR is still good movie, though. It's not that I expected it to be more realistic; Nolan's trilogy was never realistic (it was hyper-realistic, but I'll save that for another day). I just expected it to make more dang sense.
I am totally beating a dead bat at this point, so I should probably just stop.

I find myself torn between whether I prefer The Avengers or TDKR. Avengers succeeded on exactly what it set out to do, while I felt TDKR was somewhat of a mess. I had many problems with the film and so did a majority people.
And yet I feel drawn more towards TKDR simply because it has a heavier emotional weighting. The Avengers kicked ass, but TDKR has a certain gravitas about it.

I agree 100% with everything said here.

@HawkeyeWii I can understand where you're coming from with all of your points. Some of this comes down to bias and subjectivity; TDKR did not meet my expectations, but Nolan didn't make this movie just for me. That's awesome if it met yours. The Dark Knight Trilogy is my favorite trilogy, actually. Agreed about Rises being the most "unrealistic" (although I don't think that necessarily had to be a bad thing). Also, I've only seen Avengers once so far (which is something I need to rectify soon), but I've already seen Rises thrice and the other two movies more times than that, so I'd agree on the rewatchability part.

Also The Dark Knight is probably my favorite movie of all time; I vastly prefer it even to my other favorite Nolan movies. The perfect mix of tragedy and beauty, surrealism and grittiness, and above all balancing epic scope (Batman and Joker basically represent good and evil) and personal moments. I just figured out I love it so much because it's basically a wonderful mess of contradictions.

As for why I wouldn't call the trilogy realistic, I'll try to answer that tomorrow.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

LzWinky

Realism in comic book movies? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA

I think Avengers is very realistic

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Odnetnin

turtlelink wrote:

I'd have to say The Amazing Spider Man is my fav superhero movie this year~ Though it may just be because I Iooove Spider Man lol

Haven't seen it yet, but I have a genuine question: how did they manage to make the origin not dreadfully boring when retelling it for the 50th time? I've avoided TASM so far simply because the thought of watching him get bit by a spider again makes me want to throw up.

Six word TV reviews

Odnetnin

LZBirdboi wrote:

Realism in comic book movies? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA

I think Avengers is very realistic

Funny you said that. I have a friend who loves Avengers (for the record, for him it goes Avengers>>>>>>TASM=TDKR), and his only problems with it are that its logic isn't always sound. He cites such examples as Scarlett Johansson grabbing an alien speeder with one arm and somehow not falling off/dislocating her shoulder and Tony Stark jumping through a glass window without being injured.

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews

HawkeyeWii

I saw TDKR 3 times too, The last time was in iMAX and it was breathtaking! HAHAHA I sat next to 2 girls around my age (college) that were so emotional and I had to keep from laughing, because I knew how it ended.

Twitter:

Tasuki

You know I have been watching the Dark Knight series the past few nights since I got the collection on Blu-ray and I have to say Nolan started out making the series realistic but as he got into the second one he kinda dropped that idea. I mean for example how was Joker able to rig an entire hospital with explosives and no one noticed or even found an explosive?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

HawkeyeWii

Tasuki wrote:

You know I have been watching the Dark Knight series the past few nights since I got the collection on Blu-ray and I have to say Nolan started out making the series realistic but as he got into the second one he kinda dropped that idea. I mean for example how was Joker able to rig an entire hospital with explosives and no one noticed or even found an explosive?

Yeah I have thought the same thing. There is no way he could do those things, but it is the Joker and "It's never easy with the Joker". Hey but compare the realism in these movies to the awful movies of the 90's, even the really good 1989 movies was super unrealistic and they went down hill after Keaton.

Twitter:

Tasuki

HawkeyeWii wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Yeah I have thought the same thing. There is no way he could do those things, but it is the Joker and "It's never easy with the Joker". Hey but compare the realism in these movies to the awful movies of the 90's, even the really good 1989 movies was super unrealistic and they went down hill after Keaton.

Yeah once they lost Burton those movies were doomed. Which is why I will only watch the first one and second one.

My Backlog

Auracle

I really liked the Dark Knight Rises. I'm not sure which of the three is my favorite, though. I hope to get the Trilogy pack soon, so that I can spend New Year's watching them all.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

the_shpydar

Tasuki wrote:

Yeah once they lost Burton those movies were doomed. Which is why I will only watch the first one and second one.

Totally agreed x1000.
I don't even really consider the 4 as part of the same "series". There's the excellent Burton Duology, and then there's the horrifyingly horrible Schumacher Debacles.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

the_shpydar wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Totally agreed x1000.
I don't even really consider the 4 as part of the same "series". There's the excellent Burton Duology, and then there's the horrifyingly horrible Schumacher Debacles.

Yeah the Shumacher films never felt like they belonged with the Burton ones to me either. I mean really except for the actors playing Alfred and Commissioner Gordon there is no real link to the Burton films at least that I noticed.

My Backlog

HawkeyeWii

The last one of the 4 in the 90's totally butchered Bane...

Twitter:

WesCash

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I loved Batman and Robin as a kid. I know it's an incredibly bad film though so I don't want to taint my childhood memories by watching it now.
Somewhere in my house there's a sizeable collection of action figures from that movie, including Bane, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Batman, Robin, and Batgirl. I am not ashamed.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

Tasuki

HawkeyeWii wrote:

Not only that but what about how they butchered Mr. Freeze??? When I heard that Ahnuld was going to be Mr Freeze I was ecstatic. Afterwards I just couldnt believe that he sunk that low.

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.