Dandara, a Metroidvania title that launched on Switch in 2018, has just been treated to a brand new update known as Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition. The best news? It's completely free.
The update adds a whole bunch of new content to the base game available on Switch, Xbox One, PC and mobile, including three new areas to explore, a new boss, new powers, and more. We've actually got a full list of features for you below:
● Enter The Hidden Realms — Trials of Fear adds three new areas to explore, a big new boss, new powers for your hero, new music tracks, a bonus “secret” ending, and tons of quality-of-life updates.
● Uncover The Salt — A whole new focus on story, fleshing out the lore of the world of Salt. Find new descriptions, dialogue and cutscenes for both new and existing characters and locations!
● Boundless Exploration — Traverse lovingly crafted environments with fast, fluid jumps in all dimensions, unhindered by gravity.
● Innovative Controls — Seamless blending between movement and combat, with controls built natively for both gamepad and touchscreen inputs.
● Challenging Progression — Test your speed, skill, wits and reflexes by solving puzzles, earning power-ups, and accessing unexplored areas with your new abilities.
● Beautiful, Immersive World — Discover an audiovisual wonderland that comes to life with gorgeous pixel art and original soundtrack compositions.
If you haven't checked this one out before, it might be worth casting an eye over our review of the base game from a couple of years ago; we were left feeling mostly pleased with what we saw:
Dandara is a 2D Metroidvania platformer that's admirably intent on doing things differently, from its Brazilian folklore-infused narrative to its unorthodox and touchscreen-friendly controls. It can be a little awkward to play as a result, and it's got its fair share of structural niggles, but Dandara provides a genuinely fascinating world to spend some time in.
Have you already played this one on Switch? Are you intrigued to give it a go after hearing about this update? Tell us below.