Note: While Niantic has temporarily altered some elements of Pokémon GO gameplay and postponed certain events in light of the COVID-19 pandemic affecting most parts of the world, weekly Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours appear to be continuing. Different countries and regions have their own precautionary measures in place, so please remember to stay safe, avoid contact with others and abide by local directives.
The Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour are two new events introduced by Niantic, the makers of the mobile game. Every week for an hour on a Tuesday and Thursday evening (currently 6pm - 7pm local time), a specific surprise Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild or a Mystery Bonus will activate for one hour only. The former will occur on Tuesdays and gives you a chance to catch as many of the featured Pokémon as possible, evolve it with candy, and possibly encounter a Shiny version.
Although the chosen Pokémon won't be announced far ahead of time, the Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour events occur at the same local time across time zones. This means that players in the West will get advance warning of the featured Pokémon because everyone living in the East lives in the future.
So, in this regularly updated guide we’ll let you know which Pokémon will be featured in Spotlight Hour on Tuesdays and what Mystery Bonus you'll be able to enjoy on Thursdays.
Latest Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour times: Tuesday 31st March 2020, 6pm - 7pm – Increased spawns of all Pokémon
- The next Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour will be on Tuesday 31st March 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone
- The chosen Pokémon is... well, there isn't one! Instead, following the pattern of the last several weeks, all Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild
- The chosen Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild for the duration of the event
Latest Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour times: Thursday 2nd April 2020, 6pm - 7pm – ???
- The next Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour will be on Thursday 2nd April 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone
- The featured Mystery Bonus is unknown at this time
Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour FAQ
When do Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours usually take place?
Spotlight Hours are held on a Tuesday evening every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone.
When do Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours usually take place?
Mystery Bonus Hours are held on Thursday evenings every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone.
What can I expect from Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
- A significant increase in spawns of the featured Pokémon
- Increased spawns mean increased odds of encountering a Shiny version of the featured Pokémon (Note: these are not indicated on the map - you must tap the Pokémon to see whether it's a Shiny version)
- A temporary modification from the Mystery Bonus, similar to the bonuses enjoyed during Community Day events (so double XP, reduced egg hatching times, Candy or Stardust increases, etc.)
How can I prepare for Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
Assuming the headlining monster is one you’re interested in, we would recommend that you start stockpiling useful items ready for Spotlight Hours. You should make sure you have:
- Enough Pokéballs and Pinap Berries to catch and evolve Spotlight Hour Pokémon
- Extra Ultra Balls and Razz Berries on hand to catch any Shinies that pop up
- Lures to draw the featured Pokémon to you might be a good idea, although Spotlight Hour events don't increase Lure time like their Community Day counterparts, so you'll only get 30 minutes from a Lure
- Sufficient space in your Pokémon Storage Box for all the Pokémon you're going to catch - you only have an hour, remember, so don't waste it doing admin you could have done beforehand
- Lucky Eggs, Star Pieces and Super Incubators on standby (depending on the nature of the bonus)
Previous Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour featured Pokémon and Mystery Bonuses – List of Pokémon from past Spotlight Hours
Past Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours:
- 4th Feb - Onix
- 11th Feb - Spoink
- 18th Feb - Generally increased spawn rates
- 25th Feb - No event
- 3rd Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 10th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 17th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 24th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 31st Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
Past Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours:
- 6th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 13th Feb - 2x Raid XP
- 20th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 27th Feb - No event
- 5th Mar - 2x Catch XP
- 12th Mar - 2x Catch Candy
- 19th Mar - 2x Transfer Candy
- 26th - 2x Evolution XP
We'll update this page weekly, so be sure to check back if you want a heads-up for the featured Spotlight Hour Pokémon or the Mystery Bonus.