As news emerges that Japanese schools are to close until April due to the recent coronavirus outbreak, The Pokémon Company has stated that it will be cancelling a series of live events at its Pokémon Stores across the country.
As of February 29th, 2020, the following events have been called off until further notice:
- Pokémon Bingo Party (All Stores)
- Pokémon Mascot Meet-and-Greet (All Stores)
- Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo Renewal Commemorative Mascot Meet-and-Greet
- Pokémon Center Kyoto 1 Year Anniversary Mascot Meet-and-Greet
- All Pokémon Workshops (All Stores)
The company has also said that Pokémon TCG events at Pokémon Centers and Pokemon Store locations across Japan may be cancelled as well. However, it's worth noting that all stores and centers remain open as normal until further notice.
The number of confirmed COVID-19 virus patients in Japan has risen above 200 as of Thursday evening.