If you prefer your gaming experiences on the deep and meaningful side, you might want to check out Soul Searching.
Soul Searching is a narrative survival game launching on Switch next week, giving players control of a lone traveller who sails from their homeland to an endless sea. On the way, you’ll visit different islands, discover stories of their people, and learn about souls and dragons.
From a gameplay perspective, the goal is to survive in a hostile world, dealing with hunger, thirst, and energy as you head out to fish, cast magic spells, and even customise your boat. The official description for the game states that "there is no one single correct way to play", with players being encouraged to discover everything on offer how they please.
It's not all about the game itself, though; players are also encouraged to think about the bigger picture.
"Outside the gameplay, the main goal is to think about your life. Soul Searching conveys feelings that rarely appear in games. It deals with themes like growing up, isolation, search for meaning, and direction. It’s a personal expedition deep into your soul."
- Single-player mode with a deep and emotional story.
- Random mode for 1 to 4 players that randomly generates a map and requires players to work together to survive.
- Creatures at sea: dragons, killer whales, and more.
- Many islands, some inhabited with lots of people who have intriguing stories to tell.
- Magic skills that let you survive at sea more easily.
- Player appearance customization.
- A day-and-night cycle that affects the gameplay subtly.
- Bonus short stories with an experimental vibe.
The game launches on Switch on 25th October and will be priced at $9.99.
Do you like the look of it? Will you be giving it a go? Let us know in the usual place.