Publisher 3D Realms has lifted the lid on its latest project, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, a retro first-person shooter built using the tech from 1996's Quake. The best news? It's coming to Switch.
You can see the first glimpse of the game in the trailer above; 3D Realms says that it "embraces the timeless elements of classic titles such as DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Unreal and Hexen and carries them into the 21st century".
The title has been developed by KillPixel, a team made up of Quake scene veterans, and has players exploring ancient crypts, sunken ruins, corrupted temples and howling forests to kill everything in sight. If you want to know a little more, check out this quick description and mighty feature list below:
"You are Outlander. Once adrift upon the Ageless Sea, you now find yourself on the shores of a dying world. From the consuming darkness emerges a figure cloaked in white, the Shepherd of Wayward Souls, who burdens you with the task of hunting down the remaining Guardians of the Old World. You must journey into the vast gloom to explore ancient ruins, discover forgotten secrets and battle the horrors that lurk within."
- Explore a vast world shrouded in darkness, passionately crafted by the hands of expert Quake scene necromancers.
- Traverse 3 hubs and 15 enormous, interconnected levels crawling with hordes of enemies, lore and ancient secrets.
- Forge your path with an arsenal of 9 deadly weapons, each with multiple fire modes.
- Know your enemy. Many horrors lurk in the shadows, thirsting for your blood.
- Artifacts of great power lay hidden in the dark places of the world. Find them and dominate your enemies.
- Powered by the Legendary Quake 1 Tech, WRATH is an authentic, classic FPS in every way.
- Capped at 666 fps, WRATH will melt your soul and your Voodoo 2... But it's okay. Software Rendering is supported!
- Create your own worlds. WRATH is built from the ground up to be easily moddable. Make your own levels, weapons and characters. From day one, the very tools used to create WRATH will be available for all.
- Gib your friends in classic Multiplayer modes, powered by the renowned QuakeWorld netcode.
- Dominate the world of WRATH with 3 other companions in 4 player co-op, LAN or online!
- Immerse yourself in a haunting soundscape born from the twisted minds of Andrew Hulshult (Quake Champions, Rise of the Triad, Dusk and Amid Evil) and Bjorn Jacobson (CyberPunk 2077, Hitman, EVE Online).
The game is set to launch on PC this summer, with Switch and other consoles expected to join in the fun early next year.
Does this one look right up your street? Did you love Quake back in the day? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.