Mandragora Studio's Freaky Awesome has arrived on Nintendo Switch today, bringing all sorts of chaos, monsters, and dog-saving antics along for the ride.
The game is heavily influenced by the roguelite mechanics found within The Binding of Isaac, combining them with a bonkers setting to make things just that little bit more crazy. The title supports up to four players, with all of you teaming up to finish off the unpleasant beings you'll find on your path; sadly for you, you'll be playing as deadly creatures yourself after coming into contact with different mutagens, but hey - you can't have everything.
Things actually kick off after you find that your missing dog is being held at an old factory, with your past as an action hero instantly kicking in and making you set off to rescue it. Yes, you'll have to deal with toxic wastes, weird creepy monsters, and deadly traps at this factory, and it’s very likely that you'll mutate into horrendous shapes and die over and over again, but you'd do anything for your good boy, even if it means turning into a four-legged monstrosity yourself.
- Mutate to survive: mutagens replenish your health but also changes you into wild forms – each with different mechanics and powers!
- Gain new mutations! Slay bosses to unlock their forms as a newly available mutation.
- Explore a mutating world: the game itself mutates! The map is randomly generated, but the game itself changes every successful run with new unlocked locations and enemies, bigger levels, stronger bosses and new mechanics.
- Avoid traps… or use them to your advantage: explosives, flying barrels, moving saws, flames and even flying pig heads are as deadly to you as to your enemies!
- Rogue-lite with permadeath: death is permanent, but your advancements too. You can keep your unlocked items, skills and mutations.
- Play solo or with friends with an up to 4 players co-op mode. You can keep the progress earned while playing multi!
Freaky Awesome launches on Nintendo Switch today for €12.99 / £11.69.
Do you like the look of this one? Feel free to share your thoughts with us in the comments below.