Some may recall when Ripstone published Pure Chess on Wii U and 3DS, a game developed by VooFoo Studios. It was an impressive title (despite some nagging flaws) that offered cross-platform play and attractive visuals. A little while ago Ripstone confirmed that its own internal team was bringing Chess Ultra to the Switch, which should be rather enticing for those that enjoyed Pure Chess back in the day.
Now it's confirmed for this week, arriving on 2nd November with a price tag of £9.99 / $12.49USD / €12.49 depending on your region.
A particularly pleasing feature will be cross-platform online play with Xbox One and PC, so it shouldn't be too hard to find matches. A feature-set is below.
- Stunning environments and beautiful chess sets, including a ‘Fire and Brimstone’ chess set that literally burns
- 10 Grandmaster approved AI levels
- Comprehensive time controls, including Classical, Blitz and Marathon, all available online
- Intuitive local and online multiplayer with ELO ranking system
- Cross-platform online play against Xbox One and PC players
- Spectate and compete in Official Ripstone tournaments
- Numerous playing options including full touch screen and cross-table playing modes
- Over 80 chess puzzles
- Re-write the past by winning the biggest historic matches
- In-depth tutorials
Unique to the Switch will be 'cross-table' chess, in which you can lay the Switch down flat when undocked.
Will you be making a move for Chess Ultra on Switch?