Hyperkin has announced that it is releasing a new RetroN system which runs NES games in 720p HD.
The RetroN HD is compatible with NTSC and PAL NES games and comes with its own bespoke controller, but also supports original NES pads. It launches on May 25th and will cost $39.99 - you can place a pre-order now on Amazon and HyperkinLab.com, or, if you're in the UK, Funstock - where it will cost £49.99.
The RetroN HD offers:
- HD audio and video (720p) with 16:9/4:3 switch (HD cable only)
- High compatibility for NTSC AND PAL cartridges (via bottom case switch)
- Premium classic-style "Cadet" controller (10 ft. cable)
- 3 ft. HD cable
- 6 ft. Micro USB charge cable with USB AC Adapter
- Also includes AV ports with AV cable
Here's what Hyperkin Product Developer Chris Gallizzi had to say about the console:
This is the best time to be an NES enthusiast. With the advent of the NES Classic Edition, Capcom's Disney Afternoon Collection, and just a general resurgence in 8-bit gaming, the RetroN HD is both the perfect time machine and gateway console for playing real NES cartridges in your modern living room.
We've already seen a few of these clone systems on the market - such as the excellent RetroUSB AVS - but will this one be the one you opt for? Let us know with a comment.