A number of 3DS owners are likely still working through Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past. They should probably get a move on, however, as Nintendo of America has now confirmed that Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King will arrive in its region on 20th January. [Update: this is also confirmed as the European release date, too]
As was the case with DQVII, the upcoming 3DS remaster includes enhanced visuals and various adjustments so that it'll suit portable play. Below is an introductory story summary:
The story begins when a jester, Dhoulmagus, comes to Castle Trodain and steals the King's sceptre. He then uses its power to turn his majesty into a troll, the Princess into a horse and the castle inhabitants into plants. The only one left unscathed from this attack is a castle guard who escaped the curse and must now step up to save the kingdom he's sworn to protect. Only by traveling the lands, recruiting allies and following the trail of destruction that Dhoulmagus leaves in his wake will The Hero be able to retrieve the sceptre in order to restore Trodain back to its former glory.
Nintendo's press release also outlines some extra goodies, which we've summarised below.
- Two new playable characters.
- Additional side quests and dungeons.
- New story content "that will provide more back story about The Hero and the villainous Dhoulmagus".
- Full voice acting in plot-important cutscenes.
- A new alternative ending.
- Take 'photos' at any point outside of cutscenes or battles, adding stickers, poses or filters. Share them via StreetPass.
- "Once the player meets Cameron Obscura in Port Prospect they'll also be able to unlock Cameron's Codex, where they'll be rewarded for taking pictures of certain subjects, monsters and situations."
We loved the recent DQVII release, so naturally have high hopes for this. How many of you are planning to pick this up?