Weirdness: A Resident Evil TV Show Has Been Proposed

Posted by Alex Olney

Hey, it might be better than the films

Capcom has had quite the history with its Resident Evil franchise. Many people have fond memories of the early games, and when Resident Evil 4 appeared on the GameCube it threw everyone a curveball with its inventive new features. Recent additions have not been as well received, and the less said about the films the better.

All the more surprising then to discover that there are talks of a possible TV show based around the series. The only details so far are the working title Arklay – which takes its name from the fictitious mountainous region in the games – and the following proposal:

When Detective James Reinhardt is thrust into a series of bizarre homicides, he unravels the city is hiding a dark conspiracy. Learning a fatal virus is connected to it all, Reinhardt discovers it’s already coursing through him. With time no longer on his side, he must solve the conspiracy to save his own life.

The creator is one Shawn Christopher Lebertm, whose crowning moment from motion pictures was a Twilight spoof, so we know it's in good hands.

It's likely that this is a project that simply will not see the light of day, but are you excited anyway? What would you like to see from a gritty Resident Evil televisual spectacular? Do let us know.

[via destructoid.com]

smikey

smikey said:

With the overwhelming success of the walking dead it's hardly surprising they'd think of cashing in with a tv show really
& done right it could actually work
of course it won't be done right it's most likely a quick cash in job while zombies are in favour

Once walking dead finishes zombies will go back to being unpopular for a number of years until the next thing brings them back up just like vampires & other various things

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Lol, I'm sure it would be awful, but I'd watch it anyway. It would probably start out really good and totally lose itself by the end of the first season... "Helix" anyone?

KimimiStaff

Kimimi said:

The annoying thing is a pre-RE1 TV series would be so easy to do right as all the pieces are already there - STARS do regular SWAT/rescue jobs while plot arc about unexplained gruesome murders goes on in the background. Wesker misdirects STARS about Umbrella-related incidents and has the odd shady meeting - job done! Ensemble misfit cop team? Check! Episodic content with bonus story arc? Checl! Token love interest sub plot? Yep! Grisly deaths with a zombie twist? Sorted!

Now then, where's my cheque?

Emblem

Emblem said:

I personally liked the films as I didn't make the mistake of thinking they would recreate the games. The last two in particular are awesome action movies.

That said this doesn't sound all that great but we will see. I'd prefer to see a show surrounding the events of RE0, RE1 & R2 from the initial out break and the Stars first being mobilized.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@noctowl
Or if you don't mind movies with terrible plots, dumb dialog, horrible acting, and the feeling that makes you want to run to the exits and demand a refund.

I'm not a "fanboy" of the RE franchise, but even I know the movies are terrible and an insult to intelligent life.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I think a TV show that followed the stories that you learn about as you play the games would be pretty good and might not even feel like a weak attempt at jumping on the Walking Dead bandwagon but this could be a new level of terrible not even seen in the films.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Also, there are already enough zombie and plague TV shows out there (Walking Dead, The Strain, Helix, etc.)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

It's ironic. AAA Horror games are less popular today but horror TV shows are actually on the rise.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Kyloctopus Thats because tripple A horror gmes nowadays are just horror games based on their genre description. RE6 for instance could also be called Die Hard - Zombie Apocalypse
Those are action games with slight horror elements and nothing more.
The only real horror game as of late that i know of is probably Outlast.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I like the Walking Dead because there is more danger amongst fellow survivors than the undead; however, the survivors also have to be weary of the undead with preparations. Resident Evil just makes the zombies over-powered and the heroes and heroines circus freaks. It'll make scenes seem less dramatic. I wouldn't like it.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Why is this part of Weirdness? There's such thing as tv shows based off of games

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Please don't let the original character become a super special super snowflake like Alice.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

What do ya mean "Hey, this might be better than the movies"??? I thought all the RE movies were awesome. I can't wait for another one!

Vanya

Vanya said:

The RE movies are all GARBAGE!!! (Well the first one is passable.)
I find them insulting as an old-school RE player.
That said, if they do a show it'll be no skin off my back since I would have no interest in watching or supporting anything based on a movie franchise that is SO far removed from the source material that it might as well not be attached at all.

Vanya

Vanya said:

PS I'd sooner watch a show based on Silent Hill or Mortal Kombat.

mamp

mamp said:

Read somewhere that this show is supposed to be similar to Gotham and Gotham already sounds like a terrible idea. Yeah follow a side character no one cares that much about, it's all good as long as the main heroes we all know and love make small cameos and play no role in the story whatsoever.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

Why the Hate for the films in the article ? I happen to think the films are good also, they are good action films better than some of the other video game to movies I've seen .