Video: Vancouver Elementary School Breathes New Life into Super Mario RPG Soundtrack

Posted by Alex Olney

If we don't beware, who will?

Many of you who grew up with an SNES controller clutched between your fingers will have fond memories of the bizarre experimentation that was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Little did people at the time know that it would be the first in a huge number of RPGs following the antics of the world's most recognised Italian plumber.

Clearly someone in a Vancouver elementary school has similarly fond memories, and rather than getting a more typical and bog-standard piece for the children's orchestra to perform, Beware the Forest Mushrooms became their chosen arrangement.

Not happy with simply playing some marginally obscure music, props were brought into the equation showing Mario experiencing his classic SNES adventure first-hand.

It's more than just a cute display, it's genuinely impressive to see the skill that these youngsters have – we know they'll go on to do great things! You can see both videos below, be sure to tell us what you thought in the usual place.

[via polygon.com]

Iggly

Iggly said:

I wish my music class did this when I still took that course as this sounds pretty sweet. :P

CTs_Lieutenant

CTs_Lieutenant said:

I wish this game would release on VC. Wonderful music.

Such a shame this was never released in the PAL region.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

This is just absolutely great! I'm sure this was amazingly engaging for some students and made a great impact.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

If only my school did this, I would have picked up a musical instrument earlier. I didn't start playing guitar until I was 23

gefflt

gefflt said:

I'm a very big fan of video game music and I think they did a fine job but why the Paper Mario props for Super Mario RPG music? :P

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

As much as I love the forest tune, I'd think that the Mushroom Kingdom theme would be fantastic in orchestral form.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@CaptainToad,

Actually it is available on European Wii VC, and its great. If you have only a Wii u, you could still download it in Wii mode.

Nice performance by the way.