Video: This Is Possibly The Most Almighty Falcon Punch You'll Ever See

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mew2King, take a bow

When Captain Falcon was finally revealed for Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS recently, many instinctively yelled "FALCON PUNCH", or at the very least typed it in block capitals. It's an iconic move, even for those of us that clumsily button mash our way through brawls.

Of course, pro players can deploy it to deadly effect. It seems one of the almighty executions took place at the Zenith tournament in New York this past weekend, with Mew2King unleashing the move on E3 Super Smash Bros. Invitational champion ZeRo. It's executed right while recovering from an attack and has such impeccable timing and power that the players, spectators and commentators temporarily lose the plot.

Quite a move. Let us know what you think, and don't forget to check out our interview with Mew2King from earlier this year.

[via kotaku.com]

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

I'm sure I would never be able to pull something like that off in tournament but I've pulled off some pretty beastly punches in PM when playing with friends.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

It was insane when this happened on stream. Mew2King is an amazing player, but getting off a Falcon Punch on the best Project M player is a huge feat even for someone of his caliber.

Nintendo6400

Nintendo6400 said:

Project m is cool but I prefer regular brawl. Also I hate PM has overtaken the tournament scene from the other smash bros. Especially brawl!

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Here comes the "COMPETTIVE PLAYERS SUCK AND PROJECT M IS THE WORST THING EVER" comments.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@andrea987 just saying it wasn't the INCREDIBLE EPIC SKILL by M2K that everyone makes it seem it's more zeRo acting stupid and it looked more staged than anything hence why I wasn't impressed

dumedum

dumedum said:

what's the point of having Falcon throw good punches when you have little mac which is his raison d'etre is punches? I feel it ruins Little Mac.

Trippinator

Trippinator said:

@Nintendo6400 Project M hasn't taken over the scene. Melee is still the most popular tournament Smash Brothers game. And Brawl is much more unbalanced than Project M and has ~~~tripping~~~, so they don't play that.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@WaLzgi If they like it and people want to watch it then it will have support otherwise they shouldn't feel forced to do anything they aren't on board with.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Can someone please explain this to me, a casual Smash fan? I don't understand what was so amazing. He landed a Falcon Punch. I do that all the time. What makes this so special, exactly?

Trippinator

Trippinator said:

@sketchturner He landed a falcon punch, which takes a long time to charge, on one of the best players in the Project M scene. That doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, yep this Project M. Don't mind (except them changing pit up special grrrr I'm never getting over that).

@sketchturner Pit thought that captain falcon was dead. Falcon survives and charges up a reverse falcon punch while pit is firing arrows. Lands it just as soon as hit the ground. Figuring that the falcon punch isnt very easy to land over people that are constantly moving and that it takes some time to charge up ESPECIALLY a reverse one. This is feat defying.

Which makes it all the more awesome

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@sketchturner m2k does a slight air adjustment just before initializing the reverse Falcon punch on the best Project M player at the moment who himself is playing as a very mobile character Pit.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@vamkar I know right? Just yesterday I saw a better Falcon Punch than this. Captain Falcon was pink in that video too come to think of it. Might have been the same player. He jumped off the stage as his opponent was recovering and mid-air Falcon Punched him to his death!

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@vamkar

Nothing. I don't understand the fanaticism around this game either.

I saw this video several years ago and thought that this was FAR more impressive. I'm not big on fighting games anyways, but I've never been impressed by the combat in Smash Bros.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Link506 The Falcon Punch was tweeked in Brawl/PM allowing Capt. to spin and do a reverse falcon punch.

It is a fairly easy move to excecute once you learn how.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@dumedum Are you freaking serious? No, come on, REALLY? Falcon uses kicks for 90% of his moves, he BARLEY uses punches and you're saying THAT ruins Little Mac??? I'm speechless right now... I'm in a lost for words... I can't believe this. You know? I'm done. I give up.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Azooooz
TK and EE are the best commentators by far.
@torotoid64
I take it you've never tried to aim a Pit arrow before?
@TeeJay
So an easier hit is more impressive?
@Beetlejuice
You are comparing two entirely different games and that comparison is unfair, almost nothing can stand up to Diago's performance that match.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I manged to rev up a falcon punch and landed it on the Ice Climbers on a DDR dance pad...........if I was in a room full with people, then I would had gotten the same reaction XD

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@Technosphile
I got to agree, but I don't think that will happen. Bill Trinen at the Nintendo Treehouse beat a "pro" called scar at comic con(I think it was CC) with Rosalina and scar used Mario(his main) fairly easily, and the Bill Trinen guy isn't even considered a "pro".

They were both making stupid mistakes, and scar beat him Mario vs. Mario, but that shouldn't even happen if he's really a pro vs. a Nintendo employee.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the new game where "pros" might drop the game entirely and say it isn't worth it, but we'll just have to see.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I'm glad I've learned by now to always turn the sound WAY down before watching any Smash videos. Anytime something somewhat interesting happens, the commentators start screeching and hollering like they're 13 years old and The Beatles just came to America.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@SCAR392 Wrong his main is Captain Falcon in Melee (he also plays Sheik) and Project M, that was clearly a friendly and not even remotely serious so your point is moot.

Sensei_Sendai

Sensei_Sendai said:

God this was brilliant live. ZeRo did a brilliant job winning this competition after falling into the Loser's Bracket early on. But I'd expect nothing less of him, he is one of the god's of Project M.

@Technosphile Project M will continue whether or not Smash U is competitive or not (it's looking to be more like Brawl at the moment). But the Smash community is quite versatile. Melee and Project M will see the most play, while Sm4sh will usurp Brawl as the third most played game, leaving Brawl in the dust with 64, still appearing in tourneys, but with small numbers of competitors.

noctowl

noctowl said:

So glad mew2king got escorted out of of the smash invintational. He's a mental basket case.

At least they were playing brawl, even if it is a mod. People who still cling to melee are just sad. Reminds me of those people on hoarders who stick dead animals in their freezer because they just can't let go.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

That was pretty epic, that's why smash tournaments are so fun to watch you never know what's going to happen at any moment. The announcer's reaction really explains it best. They've seen just about everything and yet a falcon punch landing is still that surprising.

@noctowl what's really sad is all the people that feel the need to insult anyone else for whatever contrived reason they can come up with. Does it truly affect you to such a degree that you can't stand people playing a game they love?

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

@SockoMario Brawl was (and still is) a big disappointment. So...

Let me give you a better example. At EVO this year, Street Fighter IV was the big competition. Now, the same guys who have always played SSF2 Turbo were there, and they played it, but it was like a one-hour diversion from the main event: Street Fighter 4. Which all of those same guys were playing.

See, the Wii U is a big flop and needs all the help and hype it can get. Having Smash U be anything but a masterpiece and have people going back to their fan mod would be, like I said, a failure. It needs to be the game at these tournaments.

tl;dr: people played Melee after Brawl because Brawl sucks, and people play Project M because its better than both of them. Smash U needs to trump them all, or Nintendo failed the Wii U yet again.