Video: Flying Carpet Level in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is Weaving Together Nicely

Posted by Tim Latshaw

More playable characters may also be coming

WayForward has been living up to its name, steadily chugging along on Shantae: Half-Genie Hero ever since the project exceeded its Kickstarter goal last fall. In their most recent update, the team provides a taste from one of the game's in-development stretch goal chapters, "Sequins of Unfortunate Events."

While the footage uses some placeholders and asks for a bit of imagination on part of the viewer, the potential is certainly there.

Speaking of stretch goals, WayForward also announced that post-Kickstarter donations have brought Half-Genie Hero's grand total tantalizingly close to the $900,000 mark. Hitting the goal would open the addition of side characters Bolo, Sky, and Rottytops as playable choices through the main game in addition to the various versions of Shantae and nemesis/rival Risky Boots that were already unlocked. As of 12th August, total funding stands at $892,769.

WayForward is treating the stretch goal as a near-inevitability, but warns that the work in forging the new characters is liable to cause a delay from the original expected release date:

We’re going to need to adjust our schedule to allow for all of the added content. We’ll do our very best to keep you up to date with the most realistic Beta and Ship dates possible, but first we need to determine the impact this change in game scope will have on the project. So please accept our apologies in advance – an October 2014 launch is very unlikely at this point. But yep, this is the uncertain process of making games. Dates must slip when quality and scope cannot. We’re all working together to build the biggest, best game possible – and it just got even bigger.

Good on WayForward for being up front about the potential wait and having a suitable reason for it, but sometimes it feels like Estimated Delivery dates on all Kickstarter projects should be replaced with this sign.

[via kickstarter.com]

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Projected release dates are evil. I stopped following them a long time ago. Can't into consistent delays. Can't be bothered by a delay if I don't recognize projections.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I just thought the main game would be available when promised and the stretch goals released as free DLC later on.

Oh well, I hope they do the extra scenarios for the 3 characters, that was the second stretch goal I wanted the most, after a playable Risky.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

As long as the game delivers (and I'm pretty sure it will, especially after that video), I don't care to wait a bit more. With that kind of budget, I'm expecting a massive campaign, at least as big as something like Tropical Freeze or NSMBU. Don't disappoint me, WayForward!

conditionals

conditionals said:

I'm not so concerned about the release date because we still have Shantae 3DS' imminent release.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Do they really have to be THAT uncreative and exploitive with their character design? Come on guys, this isn't xtreme beach volleyball...

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Neko_Rukiafan The 3DS version is likely the definitive version.

Anyways, I actually didn't know they were even targeting this year for this game because of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I figured that Half-Genie Hero wouldn't come until 2015 at the earliest.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

It will be damn interesting to compare the finished work with this Beta peak ^o^

Glad also that they are following the "Quality comes first" policy; a later release is not a big deal anyway, so many games come out nowaday and especially september and october are very well covered XD

Jahir

Jahir said:

I don't know, since Yacht Club is made of a bunch of ex-Wayforward (very talented) guys maybe this won't be as good as everyone expects. You see the last games of Adventure Time and Regular Show? It worries me a little

bofis

bofis said:

So having played the past two Shantae games, and Kickstarting this WiiU game, I've really mostly been looking forward to Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on 3DS...when is that coming, because "summer" is almost over!

Tiberius29

Tiberius29 said:

@odin6786

LOL, got to go and wash my eyes out with bleach...

Anyways, as a backer my guess for the release date is late 2015 - early 2016

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Looking good thus far. Hope it delivers, though I'm still looking more towards Pirate's Curse. Edit: Polishing a game is good. So, time taken for that is fine for me.