Video: Check Out Some Exclusive Skylanders Trap Team Features on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Tickle those bad guys

Skylanders Trap Team will be one of the most lucrative releases of the year when it arrives in early October on various platforms. Nintendo — and publisher Activision, naturally — will be hoping for big sales on Wii U, Wii and the alternative version on 3DS; the strange but welcome promotion of a free Wii U download with the Wii physical retail version won't do any harm, either.

The NFC toy adventure's getting plenty of attention over at Gamescom in Germany right now, with new characters, 'mini' toys, features and a potentially disruptive tablet version all being revealed at the show.

Our colleagues at Family Gamer TV are on the case with the franchise as always, and have conducted an extensive interview and run-through on the Wii U version of the game, also getting a look at some Skylanders Mini figures, in addition to Trap Masters Head Rush and Bushwhack. The most interesting segment highlights the use of the GamePad for interacting with 'trapped' villains and accessing the Skystone Smash mini-game at any time.

Check out the video below to take a look at the game and see the full interview, while the Family Gamer TV channel has plenty of coverage from Germany to enjoy.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I already saw this, then checked here. Not for this, but for the Shovel Knight Butt Mode article. :P Just saw this on the side.

I'm glad villains can reach some extra areas, and it's nice to see more footage with stuff in-hand...

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I like those mini skylanders. Although I'd like to see them make some original mini characters rather than just make mini forms of pre-existing characters.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Glad they used Wii U's strengths again instead of making a simple port as most 3rd parties do. Can't wait to see the other Wii U exclusive features

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

This has actually made me want to get the Wii U version instead of the PS3 version now. It's cool.

rjejr

rjejr said:

If Nintnedo was smart they'ld get the amiibo working in the Wii U ed as well. :-)

Wouldn't be unprecedented - Link was in Soul Calibur 2 and the outfits in Tekken Tag 2. Not all of them, maybe just a Mario appearance for 1 Mushroom Kingdom type level. For those who don't know there are always sets w/ extra areas you can open in the game.

We got Swap on Wii U and I'm sure we'll be getting Trap as well. My PS3 is about 5 or 6 years old so getting a bit long in the tooth, I use it only when neccassary.

KTT

KTT said:

sighs Spyro... I found an artwork of Spry and I couldn't find anything confirming on the Internet. This video was just I nedeed.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MrWalkieTalkie - I was thinking making Mario a playable character. If the amiibo tech is compatible w/ the portal tech of course. If Activisin is going thru all the trouble to make good use of the Gamepad maybe they can add in a character or two. Or maybe skins like in Bayonetta? Or just have them pop up in the hub world as NPCs. Something.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I LOVE the mini's :o Please, Trigger Happy and Stealth Elf as well! (Hex I just saw).

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Apparently Disney (or Avalanche) doesn't have the money/resources that Activision has to use the systems strengths for the Infinity games. They could only make 2.0 on Wii U "comparable to Xbox 360" but models look bland either way. Meanwhile have you seen Swap Force and now this on Wii U? If this is not "next gen" i don't know what is

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Mega719 to be fear thow that statmemt thay were only given the option betwen 360 and XBOne but yeah DI is rather bland and dull... im still unsure wether il bother with 2.0 - as for Skylanders thes excluciv fetchers have made me half want it on WiiU but il probably just keep to PS4 now (i like to keep franchises to one brand if i can)