Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter Takes Flight on 3DS eShop on 28th August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There are barrel rolls, so do one

Just before E3 this year Nintendo unveiled an impressive range of eShop trailers that announced some brand new games; one of these was Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter for the 3DS eShop, developed by 3PM Games and published by Big John Games.

As a sequel to the rather good DSiWare original, there's certainly cause for optimism with this new entry. It's all about air combat and lots of shooting, with three varieties of aircraft available, multiple difficulty levels and medals to win; a simple formula, but one that can certainly be a lot of fun when executed well.

North American gamers don't have long to wait to see whether it lives up to its predecessor, as Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter lands on the 3DS eShop on 28th August with a price of $7.99; unfortunately European release details aren't confirmed as yet.

You can see a trailer below and a host of screenshots in the game page gallery. Is this on your radar ahead of its arrival next week?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I'll keep my eyes on it. I enjoyed the first one pretty well, but the focus on air battles interests me even more.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Ugh, too much coming next week. This will have to wait for a review as I wasn't impressed with the graphics but the gameplay looked nice.

accc

accc said:

Same day as Gunvolt? Gonna have to pass. I'll maybe consider buying it down the line, but only if there's a demo.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

@DefHalan Judging by the info I was given, I think its a sequel but will focus on the combat more than the story really. I don't think missing the first story will affect the second much, though don't quote me. :)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Looks interesting. Keep my eye on these one but probably won't be day one since Atlus games are on sale again and I want to replace my copy of SMT IV ($19.99 on eShop right now) that I lost.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

This looks very cool. I hope the first game gets a discount during launch so I can check it out as well.

Dawn-Shade

Dawn-Shade said:

Do you think it has more realistic control like classic flight control on Ace Combat games? Based on the video, I think it's more simple flight control like on Star Fox games (duh, it even has one button barrel roll) which I don't like.

AVahne

AVahne said:

So it'll be cheaper than the original? I'll still wait for a review though, since it seems the original received some mixed reviews.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@AshFoxX
Don't think DSi games are eligible to be discounted. Would be nice if Nintendo could just add NNID to DSi and Wii and update their shop channels to the eShop. Then in 20 years when Nintendo finally has a "modern" account system, we'll be able to download DSi games that we buy on later handhelds on our DSis. Cuz by then it'll count as retro gaming.
Sadly, I'm guessing the DSi and Wii OS are way too archaic for something like that. It's not like Android, where even ultra old versions of Android can use the most recent store front. Then again that's probably because the Play Store is probably an updated and renamed version of the old Android Marketplace while eShop is probably developed completely separately from the DSi and Wii Shops and not based on their code at all.....sigh

Anyway, does anyone know for sure whether or not it is possible at all to do discounts on DSi games?

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Awesome! I'll admit the trailer was pretty mediocre but considering I had so much fun with the first game, I may have to get this somewhere down the line...

@DefHalan - I thought the first game was pretty damn good at the time, but you have to understand that when it came out there was barely anything noteworthy on the DSi Shop. That being said, while it IS a good game (and one of my favorite DSiWare games), it can get frustratingly hard on certain levels and the graphics haven't really aged all that well. Considering this one costs less than the first and it seems like they tightened the gameplay a bit from the trailer, you might be better off just getting the sequel, but that's my own opinion.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

@Bassman_Q
thanks, I think I will wait on getting the first then. If I really enjoy the sequel (which beong a hige Star Fox fan I think I will) then I will pick up the first

Vader_MIB

Vader_MIB said:

I am considering sending back my 3DS to Nintendo in pieces from Europe... Before there is too much dust on it.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

Remembers me of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron on 64 and Gamecube with a little mix of Star Fox. Didn't like the graphics tough but might as well give it a try when the price is right. About $5 would do.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Wow! The end of August is a heck of thing isn't it? This, Steamworld Dig, Azure Striker Gunvolt (with Mighty Gunvolt subgame) and the Nintendo Life approved Xtreme Sports. It's an overall exciting week.