This Game Boy Stage in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Is All Retro Charm

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A fitting tribute

It's almost hard to believe due to the extravagant length of its hype period, but Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is less than two months away. It's so close we can almost see our Circle Pad / D-pad wearing out from all those extended fight sessions.

In any case, Masahiro Sakurai has been particularly attentive to the portable version recently, no doubt aware that he should build excitement for the first arrival before returning to its HD brethren. On that score he took an opportunity today to reveal a new stage, and it should be one to excite retro gamers.

Pic of the day. "♪Ba-ding!♪"

If you turn on the 3D effect, it really looks like there's a Game Boy inside the screen.

It's certainly appropriate with the Game Boy celebrating its 25th Anniversary; the near-monochrome effect on the characters is particularly charming, while stage evolutions could be interesting.

In addition we rather enjoyed this comment, replying to Sakurai-san's update.

Are you excited about this new stage? Let us know.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Yosher

Yosher said:

I can already tell this is going to be one of my favourite stages! I didn't have the same nostalgia with the Game&Watch levels because I never owned one back in the day (being born very late in the 80's), but the Game Boy certainly brings back tons of memories. Love it!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I hope that drawing comment was a joke haha. I'm sick of all those stupid only 90's kids will remember this BS posts.

Anyways, man this stage is gorgeous just for the nostalgia, I love it!

link3710

link3710 said:

Eh I dont think all characters will be recolored, those are standard DeDeDe and Kirby colors from Brawl.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

"I'm gonna get you, Kirby."

Oh, man am I going to miss Brawl in the Family. This stage looks amazing though!

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Is this foreshadowing another fighter?
Could it be.... him?

Gameboy:"This is my chance! I'll teach that G&W who's the better handheld!"

maxcriden

maxcriden said:

Is there any confirmation that this is a stage and from some other cutscene or feature in the game?

(Also, there may not be any monochrome effect on characters in general; it might just be the alts for Kirby and Dedede only.)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Kinda wished we knew more about this level. lol
Like....will it change to different stages from various GB games?

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Does it just take place on the title screen or does it maybe switch to different games? This may be our chance to get a Tetris stage

Franklin

Franklin said:

I think keeping the characters as normal would have been better, to bring the retro charm of the stage into sharp relief.

jj87

jj87 said:

Awesome! Love anything retro nes. My hope is that in the near future Nintendo will get back to its roots. It seems as if they are in some respect. I believe their sales would soar if they did.

Shambo

Shambo said:

For once, I hope the mic will be used. Imagine having a way to disturb your opponents 'cartridge slot' by a 'some virtual dust', and have them blow a cartridge using the mic, slide it back in by sliding the touch screen. Won't happen I guess, but IMAGINE!

I do expect the power light to fade when the battery is low though!

Porky

Porky said:

My favorite stage of all time. Beats all others in my opinion. Wow, just wow. I love ol' gameboy and a level based of one? Sold!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@jj87 Ironically, Nintendo has least of all companies abandoned the essence of classic video gaming. Their games didn't become movies with button prompts, and remained all about sharing a screen and having a good time. That's what kept me a fan of them, the core that remained. The true 'hardcore' gaming. They only changed the ways you interact with your games, something other companies played way safer, but eventually copied most of the time, as a safer, secondary option.

mch

mch said:

Incredible how much content there seems to be in this game!!!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

To be clear, that stage won't actually turn the fighters monochrome. Kirby and Dedede are known to have those colors from Brawl.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm loving the creativity with these new Smash stages, especially the 3DS ones.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Maybe a 25th Anniversary Game Boy themed 2DS and 3DSXL?
I know a lot of us would buy it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Even Sakurai was tight-lipped about the stage, I think it'll be like a Game & Watch stage and change backgrounds with different Game Boy games. Nice Kirby's Dream Land reference too.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

That looks pretty cool. Logical step up from the Game & Watch stages. I wonder if all characters are rendered in monochrome though.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Ba-ding... Sold!

Would be even cooler if the fighters were sprites, but still cool that they are monochrome.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@The_Ninja So was the Game and Watch units and it got a stage made for it in Super Smash Bros. Melee. They can even use the fighting wire frame models from Melee for the Virtual Boy stage as stage hazards too.

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

@MussakkuLaden
But that's the point, they need to build hype so everyone gets the 3DS version instead of waiting for the Wii U version. Expect the Wii U version to ''reach'' the hype of the 3DS version after the release of the 3DS version.

Link506

Link506 said:

@Shambo I hope so about the battery light thing too! I always love games which display the battery life somewhere on the game (another reason why I love Pokemon Black 2) and this would be very cool little "easter egg" I guess you could say.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

@retro_player_22 ._. Duh, that was because the handheld games only on the handheld version rule didn't count back then. Melee wasn't on a handheld.

So a Virtual Boy stage can happen, but only on the 3DS version.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

This game will truly be the ultimate celebration of Nintendo and it's characters.

Porky

Porky said:

@UnseatingKDawg Well since his hammer isn't rendered in monochrome, being part of his character, I believe Kirby and Dedede are in their alternater colors and characters will appear normal.