Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Will Feature A Music Player That Works In Sleep Mode

Posted by Conor McMahon

AKA: The best idea ever

We can't be the only ones who often turned on Super Smash Bros. Brawl just to open up its music player and fill our living rooms with that glorious soundtrack. If the thought of even more classic Nintendo tunes makes you weak at the knees, you may want to sit down for this one.

Masahiro Sakurai yesterday revealed an ingenious new feature for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, detailing exactly how its built-in music player will work. Posting to the Director's Room on Miiverse, he showed off the design and explained how the soundtrack will feature remixes both old and new.

You can control everything from the bottom screen, even switching to character voices too, but a real highlight is the 'Play in Sleep Mode' feature. Using this, songs will continue to play even when your 3DS is closed, transforming it into a walkman-style music player that allows you to listen on the move.

The use of the 'L' and 'R' shoulder buttons to skip between tracks is particularly welcome, and should streamline the entire experience nicely when combined with playlists of your favourites.

On top of that, a selection of music tracks are now available on the Smash Bros. website for your audio delight, providing a hint at what's to come and an impressive list of the musicians who worked on the 3DS version.

Plenty for music lovers to sink their teeth into, then, so be sure to let us know if this has swayed your opinion on the portable version, or sealed the deal for you even more.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Cool, but not new. The built in Mp3 player does this as well ;) So you can put game soundtracks on an SD card and play them with the 3DS closed.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This was the best post of the week in my opinion, Smash is like the pinnacle of a video game soundtrack.

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

I'm not criticizing this idea but... Can you really see someone using this feature outside?

SmashMaster

SmashMaster said:

Well that would really suit me. Some of my favorite music is from video games. I loved the ones in brawl, and this makes it better.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

While turning Target Smash into an Angry Birds clone (Target Blast) got my eyes rolling, borrowing a concept from another game (Theatrhythm Final Fantasy this time) sounds pretty darn awesome. What with its amazing collection of awesome music from all over the Nintendo spectrum, this is yet another reason it's about damn time we got a portable iteration of the franchise.

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

@ColdingLight Seeing as the 3DS is my primary portable MP3 player, I will absolutely use this feature "outside". Honestly, I was hoping more developers would use this feature so I didn't have to take up more space on my SD card which is already fill with quite a bit of music. This is quite a welcome feature for a game that will no doubt be loaded with amazing tunes (Thanks Nintendo).

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@ColdingLight You choose a song to play, plug in some headphones, close your 3DS, put it in your pocket & listen. Just like any other MP3 player. What's wrong with doing that outside?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I wasn't going to bother with the 3DS version of SSB but this has sold me on it. Thank you Nintendo for the awesome feature :D

iphys

iphys said:

Still been hoping games would allow us to play our own music from 3DS Sound, but allowing us to play game music as a music player is pretty sweet, especially for a game like this that will actually include a lot of great music.

allav866

allav866 said:

Sakurai revealed this a day ago. You guys are usually quick to put up news and talking points over the smallest new developments concerning the pick of the day, so what happened here?

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Awesome! Even though there will only be two songs per stage....

To add to the list, PictoBits on the 3DS also had this feature!

garthvader

garthvader said:

They should so make this possible on the Wii U version too. I would love to play it all back on my 7.1 in the livingroom

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Very exciting for people still stuck in 2001, who can't operate YouTube on their smartphone.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Still gonna record a soundtrack from this game, lol. Seems like this sound test is just going to make it easier for me.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

This isn't the first game to do it; Sonic Generations, Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team also had that feature. Nevertheless, I'm glad it's in this game; going to listen to that soundtrack non-stop!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Instead of a music player, how bout a music editor so we can remix or create arrange soundtrack of our favorite Nintendo theme to any music style we want and use that for SSB4? Big opportunity right here Nintendo.

allav866

allav866 said:

@retro_player_22 I think that'd be way too much to put a music editor in a video game, but if the game let you load mp3's off your SD card to use during matches, you could edit the music on a PC and then use it in Smash, but what game even has a feature like that?

SquidzillaStaff

Squidzilla said:

@Xiao_Pai Excitetrucks definitely did. You stuck songs on your SD card and then used the wii to play them in-game. Kinda cool!

garthvader

garthvader said:

@yuwarite
Youtube is great and all but it is not exactly the pinnacle of audio quality. Of course none of what I said matters if it is just the portable version. The home version would have higher audio quality however. Especially if you own a mid-high end audio system.

Takerkaneanite6

Takerkaneanite6 said:

Perfect for when I'm working in the shop, I listen to music through the music player on 3DS, so this would be ideal for me...:) Thanks Sakurai...:)

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Theatrhythm's Music Player made me facepalm when the song turned off when it was put into sleep mode.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@allav866
The Super Smash Channel (a fan Smash Bros.-based Youtube channel) did the same and posted a video about yesterday's Pic Of The Day only a few hours ago. Guess it has to do with how later than usual the POTD itself has been posted (with something like a two-hour delay).

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

@SkywardLink98 Pretty sure Theatrythm's muisc gallery does play in sleep mode if you have headphones plugged in.

As I think we've established by now, this is a pretty standard 3DS feature, and I for one would have been quite surprised if Smash Bros. didn't have it.

Abziwabzi

Abziwabzi said:

This has suddenly upgraded SSB 3DS from being a possible purchase to tide me over till the wii U version, to a likely must-get. Perhaps especially from the e-shop. Am very close to tipping point.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

@garthvader The portable version is the one in question, and the point is, we have smart devices in 2014, where we could access this audio content via the Internet, Apps, YouTube or whatever.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

About time.

@yuwarite I have a smartphone but I'd still rather use my 3DS to listen to Smash music, simply because I'd rather not use up all my "unlimited" data on videos.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

This option is even making me consider the eShop version to have all of this in my 3DS at all times.

@yuwarite

What is so bad about having the option? Are they charging more for something that (in your case) you won't use?

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

@yuwarite One, I don't even have a smartphone - they are not a necessity, you know. Two, not everywhere has free wi-fi. Three, using YouTube is obviously not going to be as convenient as the game's own music player.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I didn't know i wanted this until I saw it just now..., I demand all future 3DS games henceforth have this feature implemented!!! ;)

Kryce

Kryce said:

this is the best feature that I loved in Sonic Generations 3DS, and now it's in Super Smash Bros. ? it's the ultimate hype booster for me !

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

Nintendo's music is practically my hobby to listen to. Wind Wakers, Super Mario Galaxys, Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Swords soundtracks I always listen to.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

Are you all as blind as you are fanatical? The 3DS has this built-in functionality already! This page is not worth the data it loads from. It's just a standard feature all games should have.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I've been waiting for this game since last year's E3. This is awesome news for me. I have an iPod touch but it's close to full since I like a wide varity of music. So this works for me big time.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

Love Nintendo music, LOVE LOVE LOVE! Really into Tomadachi Life music right now, hope that the stage gets at least 5 tracks.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

Awesome feature, but not as impactful in these days wherever everyone already has an mp3 player or smartphone. I sometimes play a track from any of the three SSBs in public just to see if anyone will recognize it. :)

A decade ago though, I would have read that headline and been blown out of the window.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Do you need a head set for this? If not, then this will be definitely better than the 3DS Sound application!

Sonicman

Sonicman said:

I'll be getting the Wii U version first, but I might pick this up sometime for coherency (owning all the Smash Bros. titles.)

1BrightGamer

1BrightGamer said:

I'm surprised no one so far has brought up Kid Icarus Uprising for having a similarly behaved sound player feature, with sleep mode support and everything. After remembering that fact (and heavily utilising it), I didn't have a doubt that Sakurai and his team would omit that feature for Smash 3DS.

What I am looking forward to the most in terms of music are the extra music tracks outside of stages, as Sakurai has confirmed that there will be additional pieces of music to be heard within the Sound Player and Smash Run. Even better is that there will be a playlist feature to choose particular tracks to appear more often within Smash Run.

We've only seen this for the 3DS version and I'm already believing the soundtrack and sound options will beat Brawl. Imagine what the Wii U version will offer. :D

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@Legromancer @Captain_Toad
Actually sorry for being so hostile it's just that some of the articles on this site are questionable as to their need to exist, click-bait etc. I think it must be a very slow news day, they should just put something like this in some weekly news round up or something

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is just great, and I should expect nothing less from a handheld Smash. While I knew the soundtrack was still going to be very good, I was a little afraid the smaller selection of tracks would weaken the 3DS version's soundtrack compared to the massive Wii U version's, but thankfully features like this will allow it to hold its own. I love that I can be able to customize the music in Smash Run. What to fight Koopas and Kremlings with Final Destination music playing? I can do that!

I'm a big fan of Smash Bros. music and also listening to music on my 3DS, so I know I'll be spending hours just listening to the soundtrack alone.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Yes! Now I finnaly stop wasting all that time pouring through memories and youtube videos trying to find something to listen ti while I revise! I can just hit shuffle on Smash, 6 hours later, Im a Maths genius ;)

BearHunger

BearHunger said:

Not the first game to have done this, by the way. (Sonic Colors and Generations portable versions and Kirby Mass Attack are examples.)

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@1BrightGamer Huh? I remember being heavily disappointed in the fact that it DIDN'T have a sleep mode feature. In mentioned it in the 3DS version's thread. (I think it was that one...if not that then the Wii U thread)

So I'm not sure how you heavily utilized something that doesn't exist??

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

This is pretty cool, I don't listen to music on my 3DS a whole lot but I do have a handful of favorites on it for convenience sake, and this feature kills two birds with one stone.

Smash Bros. has quite a bit of music in too, easily an album or two worth, so it adds a bit more value to the game as well.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

i have a 2ds and if i switch it into sleep mode while playing music the sound turns off. yep just tested it and sound cuts right out

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

This is probably my favorite update. I've always loved the music the Super Smash Bros. series has to offer, and video game music in general. Now I'll have to decide whether to play normally or listen to the music on long trips.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Will it have Sonic music too cuz a video game music list is nothing with at least one soundtrack from Sonic. The series isn't called Sonic for nothing...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

If you have an audio recording program you can also run a stereo male to stereo male cable between the 3DS and your PC to make sound files of your favorite tracks. Radio Shack for the win.

1BrightGamer

1BrightGamer said:

@Captain_Toad Well turns out I've done a goof, then. I recently went back to Kid Icarus Uprising and it turns out that it didn't have sleep mode functionality in its sound player. I don't know what made me think or remember that it did. So, my bad on that one.

Ignoring that goof, listening to Kid Icarus' sound player did also remind me how awesome the soundtrack is and how excited I am to see it referenced in Smash Bros. Any particular tracks people want to see heard in Smash? I'm rooting for 'Lightning Battle' and 'Boss Fight 2'. :)

RougeLeader

RougeLeader said:

it seems that Mr Sakurai is intent on me buying this portable version also. it has so much love and attention baked into it. initially i wouldnt have considered it, i already have SF4

King_Johobo

King_Johobo said:

I was just listening to the Full Steam Ahead Spirit Tracks track on the Smash site and its bloody awesome!! The music is getting me into ultra mega hype mode!!!!!!!!

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

Amazing new feature for an already excellent game! Gotta love how Ninty puts even more stuff in a game that I would already buy day one. Sakurai-san, you have my gratitude.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Man that's awesome.
My favourite from brawl was the Sonic Angel Island remix.
I was only going to get the Wii U version but they're making it very hard for me not to buy this. dammit

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

@Zyrac. Why is Youtube the only option you can think of, though? Your naivete proves my point. There will probably be other online sources or if Nintendo were savvy, you could even download the music in iTunes or other online source and then listen to them, offline. Again, you and Nintendo are stuck in the past and can't think outside of the old ways, and won't embrace the modern advances in technology and services which exist today. Now, if you're some millennial Teen or are in some Internetless part of the world, I'll excuse you, but if you're 21+, and have a real job/ career, you really should own a smartphone and have a 3g plan .

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

@TeeJay Fair point, so why doesn't Nintendo be savvy and release this over iTunes or other online music service, for people to download and save locally, to listen offline? It's just ridiculous the excuses people make for when Nintendo behaves in an antiquated way.

Zyrac

Zyrac said:

@yuwarite Disregarding your pot shots at me, there's simply no point in obtaining the music online when I will own the game and have it with me at all times. To be fair, though, I will agree that Nintendo should be selling more soundtracks online. That's just easy money right there.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Not useful to me. If I want to listen to music, it'd be on my MP3 player. I only use the 3DS to play games on it.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@yuwarite I'm over 30 and don't have a Smartphone either. There's no reason for me to ever use a phone or a tablet, so I don't get one. Not everyone -needs- such a device, just like every other object you can think of. If someone doesn't read much books, then an ereader won't be of much use to him/her, would it? There's no need to go around belittling people for not owning something you think is necessary.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Zyrac All those points apply to me, by choice, and I still want to add a fourth one: you can't play Smash Bros on your "smart" phone. But you CAN now play the soundtrack while earning play coins, Streetpassing, in between separate bus or train rides for example, anywhere, without having to pay a small fortune for 'free' 'unlimited' data on soon-to-be-outdated devices that break at the slightest touch with short battery life to begin with, better used for other things than youtube. It's nothing but win for 3DS.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

It seems like every other week something is pushing me closer to picking this up for the 3ds. Also thanks to all who pointed out the 3ds could play mp3. I seriously had no idea (and recently my iPod died).

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

@yuwarite YT on mobile uses 3G if you are outside and why would you use YT as an example? You can't continue to listen to the music once you tab out of it or if you lock your phone. Grooveshark is a much better service for music.

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

@Obito_Tennyson the reason you need headphones for 3DS sound and theatrythm etc. Is because the 3ds speakers are on the inside of the lid, so the music would be inaudible / terrible quality once the 3DS was closed.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@sinalefa my thoughts exactly ive been weighing which to get retail or digital but after this update my decision has been made digital and now i wonder if the have an Otterbox for the 3ds xl? Must protect my 3ds at all costs!!!

@yuwarite really??? Wow…yuwaNAIVE! Oh and remember assumption is the mother of all…yuna

@Donjwolf i concur and animaniacs…thats just awesome!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@WanderingPB You're the first person to mention A! to me. It's sad that people today haven't been around to watch the great cartoons from the 90's. A! and the like are largely forgotten now.

P.S. Can you guess what episode my avatar is from?

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@Donjwolf i grew up with A! Infact bought all the dvds so my son could enjoy the lovely madness that i grew up with. Unfortunately much of the gloriously classic cartoons have been forgotten kinda like the Tiny toon episode when Babs helped Bosco and Honey…sad but true.

Yikes u put me on the spot with picture trivia…looks so familiar though but im going to take a shot in the dark is it "chaiman of the bored" when they have that lovely conversation with Pip? They make those faces to so many of their special friends…one more guess was it the episode when tey met Baloney? Thats it now i gotta watch the episodes there goes the rest of my day thanks

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Aw man wish I could get the DVDs but they're so expensive in Canada. I rewatched it several months ago by using Youtube and I also downloaded all the Warners and PaTB shorts from seasons 1 to beginning of 4. I converted them all and placed them in my 8GB Vita card to watch on the go (or in bed) whenever I wish :3

I think the greatest cartoons came from the 90s. At least, that's where all of my favourites came from :)

As to your answers to my question, you're wrong on both counts :D Want me to tell you? If you're going to watch the eps though, do you want to find out yourself? The ep in question is one of the more popular ones if that helps you.

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

Only 2 songs per stage is a bit sad. I'd really like for some of that "Smash Run Exclusive" music to play on actual stages too, and maybe have an option for custom music (since the 3DS already plays music off an SD card?) I literally hacked my Wii just to add custom music to Brawl a few years back, and would LOVE the option of custom music in this game, too.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Oh man, I fall asleep on the train regularly with my 3DS open. Not having to show off what nerdy thing I fell asleep to will be awesome!

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

Having used my 3DS as a music player before, the only downside is that they're still using the L & R buttons to skip tracks.... while this works fine while holding the 3DS, it stops working as soon as it goes in a case.

I used my 3DS for a while when my phone was being repaired... and in a case ANY knock or bump causes the music to skip 5/6 tracks or just jam & stop playing.

If someone invented a belt-clip case with the L & R spaces cut-out... that would work!

DaemonSword

DaemonSword said:

Cool, BUT wish they would have a regular music player in the 3DS itself, and not that goofy way to kiddie kids app that they pass as a music player

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This is awesome! I wished they had done this with other games such as Rythm Thief and Fire Emblem. The only downside is that this is the version with two songs per stage.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I would love to see something like this in a global handheld app in the future.
It would be a huge nod towards game music if every track you've unlocked in a game went into a global player with some easy-to-use playlist creation, a random mode and the ability to delete these tracks if you don't like 'em.
For me that would definitely make it easier to justify paying the kinda high prices for games.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

@Donjwolf Sorry if it seems like I was belittling anyone. But it's pretty obvious that a smartphone is objectively a more convenient audio listening device than a 3DS. Would you as a 25+, publicly rather whip out your 3DS to listen to these smash audio tracks, which keep in mind may sound tinny and bad, or would you rather listen to them in higher audio quality on a device such as a smartphone via iTunes (or other) which also has the back catalogue of your entire music and podcasts?

@Captain-Falcon I did say or "other online sources". Smart devices give you an almost limitless access to online services; I just said YouTube as an example because it's most people's usual go-to.