Road Redemption's Alpha Release Shows Off Rough Edges and Wacky Gameplay

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sticky bombs are always a nice tough

After earning plenty of interest in its successful crowdfunding campaign, Road Redemption has had a relatively turbulent development period. Some early videos were criticised due to a focus on gun weapons, which were then seemingly dropped, while its general physics have also come under fire. The concept — heavily inspired by Road Rash — has, nevertheless, kept optimists on board.

Some gamers are now getting their hands on the game courtesy of an alpha build on PC. While only including variations on a couple of tracks and some quickfire challenges, it means we can get a better look at progress so far. Some aspects of the physics and environments are still rough, with dodgy animation and off-road features that have clearly not been mapped properly. There's also still a sense that it's a lot looser and less visceral than the classic Road Rash games that inspired this project.

All of that said, there's certainly some charm and fun in the build, with crazy challenges that involve cars falling from the sky, or humorous ragdoll physics when thrown off the bike. Quite whether it's in the "bad but still fun" category is up to individual interpretation.

Still, if this is on your radar ahead of an eventual Wii U eShop release we recommend checking out the Eurogamer footage below, in which the site's Ian Higton puts the alpha through its paces. Let us know what you think.

[via eurogamer.net]

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

Key point here... Alpha and it looks great for alpha. Looks like it might have less bugs than a "finished" Bethesda game.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Looks a bit too forgiving when he crashes into cars and stuff, but otherwise it looks really fun and intense with all the things going on.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

@hiptanaka
Yea, that was the main thing I noticed along with the suicidal oncoming cars that would wreck into other cars trying to get to the player. Makes for some intense maneuvering action but doesn't quite make much sense.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

THIS IS AMAZING!!! I was literally laughing out loud for most of that video xD I have gone from, 'maybe interested' to 'day one buy'

Savino

Savino said:

"Always a nice tough"

Dont you mean touch?! (I am not a native speaker, so I am probably wrong lol)

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

Watching someone play made me think this will be a must buy when it comes out. Never played the original, but I'm hooked.

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I didn't think that this would be any good, but I watched PewDiePie play the Alpha a few days ago and I can now say that I'll Definently be picking this game up!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Not bad but still needs a lot of work. I hope there is more variety in the stages in the final product, including night driving. I also think cops should behave differently or have guns or tazers to make them harder to beat.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i loved road rash and this looks awesome!!! i just hope it comes to 3ds or vita. if it does i will buy it day 1 for sure.

JustinH

JustinH said:

The alpha is a lot of fun and while it needs some polish and a lot of tightening, it is of course an alpha and still far from release. I'm a little disappointed the article is so darn negative about the project because it's not "so bad it's good," it's just really fun to play.