Nintendo Life Set To Host Mario Kart 8 Tournament at EGX London 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A year's worth of games and more up for grabs

As you may have noticed, in recent weeks we've run a couple of Mario Kart 8 tournaments for UK gamers, with eShop funds up for grabs. These have been in partnership with the Official Nintendo UK Online Store and have attracted hundreds of players. We're now stepping things up a notch with the Mario Kart 8 Tournament, a UK event that will culminate in a live final at EGX London — at Earl's Court — on Saturday 27th September this year; the winner will walk away with a year's supply of Nintendo-published Wii U games, £100 of eShop credit and more.

Qualification is going to be split into four online Tournaments at the following times and dates. The top three in each will win a place in the grand final.

• Heat One – Saturday, 16th August 2014, between 4:00pm and 8:00pm
  • Heat Two – Sunday, 24th August 2014, between 2:00pm and 6:00pm
  • Heat Three – Saturday, 6th September 2014, between 2:00pm and 6:00pm
  • Heat Four – Sunday, 14th September 2014, between 4:00pm and 8:00pm

All that win a place will receive travel and accommodation to the event, with the final tournament taking place on a large screen in front of spectators at the expo.

As for the rules of the upcoming tournaments, they'll be as follows:

Closed access: code-only
Engine Size: 150cc
All items
All control methods
Hard CPU
Group changes every 4 races

For those that don't qualify for the final, the EGX weekend will nevertheless feature mini-tournaments with various prizes on offer. The expo will also host Nintendo's National StreetPass Weekend, a great chance to pick up more puzzle pieces and hits. Shelly Pearce, Marketing and PR Director at Nintendo UK, has said the following:

Nintendo has attended every Eurogamer Expo since the show’s inception in 2008 and we are extremely happy to be returning to EGX London in 2014, where Nintendo fans are in for a particular treat.

Not only can they watch some of the country’s top Mario Kart 8 players battle it out and race for glory themselves in the mini tournaments but fans can also get their hands on the latest Wii U and Nintendo 3DS & 2DS games.

This Mario Kart 8 Tournament is for residents of Great Britain only, and you can register your interest and read all of the details on the contest page.

We're certainly looking forward to the online heats and then the live final in London. Will you be trying to qualify for the big event!?

[via nintendolife.com]

Sakura

Sakura said:

Any more info on the Streetpass weekend? Any events nearer B'ham? At EGX only on Thurs at the moment. Is it worth turning up on Sat too?

Pretty sure MK8 will see me placed last in nearly every race. Fallblox on the 3DS and I might have a chance. MK8, just too rubbish.

S3OL

S3OL said:

No way, this is amazing. Definitely going to be competing.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

@Sandstorm the competition starts online with four heats, so you don't need to be attending the show. Nintendo will provide travel & accommodation if you reach the finals!

Hydrosine

Hydrosine said:

Why is all this stuff happening only for UK people :(
I want international tournaments!

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Definitely joining though ditching the Wii Wheel for this as it seems the Grand Final will only have pro controllers.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

Can't wait for EGX to come around. As a staff member, it's a small shame that I can't compete, but I think it's going to be great fun for all involved. Best of luck to those who enter!

123akis

123akis said:

I'll try but it's VERY unlikely that i'll be the top 3! anyway I can't wait until I go to EGX! looks like Nintendo is going to have a big appearance :)

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@JakeShapiro I'm game. XD

Man happy that Europe is getting all this attention but what's with all this alienating the rest of us? I mean it's Online so guess that helps out with people who can't physically go but still.

JonnyN

JonnyN said:

Unfortunately for me I'm in America on holiday until after the first heat so I won't be able to join and compete. Good luck to everyone else.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Will be having a go at all four. I'm going camping in Wales on the weekend of the 24th August. Will have to bring my Wii U and leave it at my mates house, and then go over and have a crack especially at some point between 2 and 6pm! Exciting times, us Brits are spoiled to have such wonderful MK tourneys. Thanks Nintendolife!

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

Judging from the previous online tournaments I stand no chance. Ill have a go at the mini tournaments though! :D