Night Trap ReVamped Developer May Flip-Flop on its Wii U Decision

Posted by Alex Olney

A Wii U-turn

Update:

It appears the developers have now officially applied for a Wii U developer kit. You can see the extent of their update here.

Original Article:

The developers of Night Trap ReVamped appear to have had a bit of a re-think in regards to how their full-motion interactive horror experience will be distributed. Despite previous claims of this title never coming to any Nintendo console, the Kickstarter page has revealed an update that suggests a defeat of that stance.

We hope to announce tomorrow that wiiU[sic] owners may indeed be able to acquire copies of Night Trap ReVamped. Stay tuned, and thanks again for your support, comments and questions...

This statement is quite the U-turn from the studio's previous position wherein it made it as clear as possible that the console wars had burned them too badly:

Ever hear the term "never burn bridges?" Well, Howard Lincoln, the former president of Nintendo US, made our lives miserable during the 1994 Senate Hearings on Video Game Violence. Not only did he quietly suggest to congressman, though the use of Nintendo-supplied and heavily edited footage, that they should demonize Night Trap rather than Nintendo's Mortal Combat[sic], but he also declared publicly that Night Trap would never appear on a Nintendo system. And he was right: as much as Nintendo desperately needs publishers to support their third-place platform, we won't be one of them. There's just too much bad blood between us and them.

The quote is still in the Kickstarter page, should anyone wish to see it in its FAQ context.

A word about Nintendo. Twenty years ago Nintendo used Night Trap as a lightening rod to attract attention away from problems of its own regarding the game Mortal Combat[sic]. Their behavior was loutish and disingenuous, and hurt everyone in the gaming business. That was a long time ago, and many things have changed since then. We bear Nintendo no ill will, and certainly bear no ill will to anyone who owns a Nintendo system. But life is short and you have to pick your targets of opportunity. We simply have no interest in paying licensing fees to a company that once tried very hard to put us out of business.

It seems that all the harsh words against Nintendo don't equate to a great deal when faced with reaching a challenging $300,000 goal for this FMV title. This decision to reconsider its position appears to be an attempt to try and garner some more people into supporting the project.

Will you be supporting this obscure revamp now the developers have gone back on their word, or are you unmoved by this project? Let us know.

smikey

smikey said:

Which basically means we're never going to hit the target maybe those nintendo fans can throw some money our way!
Of course they should realise once you upset the Nintendo fan they never forgive you just look at almost every ubisoft post on here good or bad news (I know there isn't really any good news ubisoft posts but still even if there were)

I buy everything on a Nintendo console & I always will if this ever made it I'd buy it.
Thankfully It's never going to happen & I don't have to :)

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I have a feeling their old misplaced grudge against Nintendo caused quite a stir with their more savvy supporters. Imagine getting scolded by your own audience for such foolish and historically misconceived reasons.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

They should rename it Kickstarter Trap. Question: did Nighttrap originally not sell due to Nintendo causing an uproar, or did it not sell because it was badly made, badly acted, and had poor gameplay on a badly supported add on?

Actually, they should rename it Claptrap.

jafelix

jafelix said:

25 days left with so little backers. Looks like today's gaming audience just isn't interested in poorly made shovelware coated in a game that states too mature for Nintendo. oop.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

There are things called "burning bridges." Well, by making that announcement, they've burned lots of Nintendo fans.

Well, at least I can forgive Ubisoft because of Child of Light...

Volmun

Volmun said:

@MrGawain well when me and my brother had a Sega CD we never wanted it as oddly enuf we wanted to play Games lol - that joke at the botom of your post... makes me think this game would be way better if the main charicter was Clap-Trap (CL4-TP i think) from Borderlands in a wig THEN i may be intrested in it 8P.

Iggly

Iggly said:

First they say "nop wer not makin dis 4 we u cuz nintendo dum", now they're all "we changed our minds pls support us nintendo fans". I doubt anyone will support them at this point after the uproar they caused.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

I didn't even know it was possible to suffer from 20-year old butthurt. I think they're getting a little ahead of themselves to declare that a remaster of a crappy old game most famous for its controversy is the 3rd party support that the Wii U sorely needs.

I think @smikey is right. The change of heart came about because there wasn't enough interest for them to reach their crowdfunding goal without Nintendo.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Is this the notoriously voyeuristic game where burglars break into a house full of live action screaming woman in their underwear?
The same game which multiple sources have categorised as one of the worst videogames of all time?
'Oh yes! Please bring your irrelevant and dated remake to this third place platform!'

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good that they realize their mistake. Let the past be the past and just work to create a better future, everyone at Nintendo now are not there like in the 90s. Both Hiroshi Yamauchi and Gumpei Yokoi had passed away, Howard Lincoln is no longer working with Nintendo and Minoru Arakawa gave up his position to Reggie Fils-Aimes so the people of Night Trap can't condemn the present Nintendo (Iwata, Miyamoto, Sakurai, Aonuma, etc.) for past Nintendo's mistake.

Dipso

Dipso said:

Suddenly that "never burn bridges" comment looks awfully ironic, eh?

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Wow. I don't know why I have a feeling they will get it funded. I mean, remember back then what an ripoff Sega CD was? Most of the games where like that and barely anyone liked it. Nowadays, games like this are considered "higher form of gaming", "1337" etc.

GuyWithTheGames

GuyWithTheGames said:

no thanks we don't want it. they are announcing this to get some money from wii u owners because they know they won't get funded

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

"In 1994 Nintendo tried to kill us" lol. Worst kickstarter pitch ever. I bet everything this guy is still rocking his mullet.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Considering most of the management is new...what "bridges" are left?

Philski

Philski said:

Whether this is your sort of game or not, it is a really important part of videogame history.

The only reason I learned about this Kickstarter was because of Nintendo Life, so thanks for the post!

Before I even backed it I let them know that I would have happily put down money for a Wii U version.

Looks like I'll be able to.

Anybody who is interested in preserving a piece our history, do this Kickstarter a favour and give it some love.

ekreig

ekreig said:

I love seeing this article right next to the one about increasing Wii U sales on the front page.

Adam

Adam said:

Maybe someone let them in on the fact that holding a grudge against a company for comments made by someone who doesn't work for them anymore twenty years ago is ridiculously childish.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Still don't care one bit about this, uh, "game".
Funny how money can be stronger that any grudge...

joey302

joey302 said:

Love night trap! Bring it on!! Somebody add mad dog mcree, dragons lair I&II, space ace too while they at it!!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I had this game for SEGA CD and I eventually sold it. Its terrible. Also, RIP Dana Plato

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Business... of course they had to Uturn.

Still with the previous -be mad at Nintendo- statements they gather lots of extra attention and awareness around their project; what a "totally unexpected" result -o-;

macdude22

macdude22 said:

I have been a huge fan of all these retro revivals on Kickstarter. Just, you know, of good games, styles, and genre's. Shovel Knight, Wasteland 2, hell even leisure suit larry. But nobody NOBODY is asking for a remake of Night Trap. While certainly of historical importance for a number of reasons, there is very little to entice a gamer of 2014 to want to play this unless they have a penchant for torture.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

Sorry, I don't feel like burning my cash on a terrible game. This game will never get funded for the outrageous 300k amount. I bet they can't even raise 100k.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I said it already and i say it again: These guys are probably the LAST dev, anyone wants to see on their platform.
Night Trap is a title you bring up in a discussion, to tell people WHY these Sega AddOns failed so hard. Its no cult classic. The only cult thats surround it is mockery.

"Games" like this dont belong on a games console, they serve as a fine proof of concept on BluRay players and their added interactivity over DVD players.

First bashing an entire company and almost emediatly making a U turn and rectify that is beyond pathetic. Its a dev making a mocked game, now making even more of a mockery out of themselfes.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Still doubt I'll ever buy the game, but all the same, I hope that if they do come to WiiU, that they actually make use of the GamePad, which seems the obvious way to play the game.
Currently viewed monitor on TV, rest of the interface from the original game on the Gamepad, where it can be interacted with directly.
Heck, while I'm not sure this idea is actually feasible, imagine a control option that displayed every monitor (but with lower detail) on the GamePad, with the currently selected monitor on the TV screen. That might actually make the game more fun and interesting, rather than an endless gauntlet of trial and error. You wouldn't need to constantly flick between screens hoping that you might just catch a monster, or tune in in time for a code change, you'd be able to see something going on in a location, and decide to have a closer look.
Though I wouldn't really expect anything like this actually being implemented, whether or not it is implementable.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Whose idea was this reboot/revamp anyway?! I remember it when it came out, was absolutely horrendous so no surprise they're looking for more potential backers from wii u owners as they will no doubt struggle with the target

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

@retro_player_22 Not to mention Howard Lincoln doesn't work for Nintendo of America anymore either. While I admit perhaps what he did was a jerk-move on his part, (Though, I guess it's no different then how Sega used to always bash his company, products, and such in their advertising back then. Probably why he did it) it still is rather petty to hold a grudge against an entire company over what one dude did. I mean Sega & Nintendo became buds after all their fighting in the '90s.

And yeah as people pointed out the passive-aggressive remark that the WiiU "needs their third-party support," (implying they don't have enough, when the Eshop, and such says otherwise) was a bit rude, but also a bit ironic. As the game they're remaking dispite having a small cult-fanbase, is often said to be a bad/mediocre game.
But it has some historical signifigance, as it's also one of the games that lead to the creation of the ESRB rating system. (Though, to be fair the media/congress did get the wrong idea of the game's premise, thinking you stalk women in the game, when you're actually trying to protect them.)

accc

accc said:

Please don't. Crap like this doesn't belong on Nintendo systems.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I remember being really excited for this back in the day.After seeing the screenshots in MEGA magazine in the preceding months I'd convinced myself that this game was going to blow my mind.Then after playing it for 20 minutes I realised it was awful and took it back to the store the same day for an exchange.

Would love to see Road Avenger make a comeback.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

Nope. These guys had their chance. After what they said about our beloved Ninty, there is no way they're getting my money. It's my turn to never burn a bridge, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I don't understand why they believe it would sell, anyone who is aware of the uoroar it started wouldn't just buy this. Plus the acting is terrible and you need lots of memorization

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Pfft, haha. This keeps getting funnier to me. I'm going to assume this was predicated on them feeling like they might not hit their goal, so they decided to toady it up to the WiiU crowd, since they love to fund stuff. :P

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Wait, no! We don't want it! Is that actually revenge? I could see them suddenly make Night Trap a WiiU exclusive just to embarrass Nintendo.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I don't believe they ever held a grudge. They probably figured they would get the most publicity by playing up their game's history and having it generate more news, or click-bait, depending upon your point of view. It seems to have worked--they're getting more discussion than they would have by just launching the Kickstarter.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Wow... I have such high respect for these devs. They work on a crap game, they dump hate on Nintendo, then they sell out their values for more money. Oh the indignity of it all.

Inkling

Inkling said:

The bridge has already burnt. I'd rather play an updated Hotel Mario than this.

KingCreezy

KingCreezy said:

These guys sound like a bunch of goofs. I experienced the "game" when it first came out and honestly couldn't care less about this one way or the other. The only FMV type game that I want to see remastered would be Phantasmagoria.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Still not going to buy it. It was a horrible cringe worthy game to begin with.

I'd rather use that money to buy magic beans, or a screen door for my homemade nuclear submarine.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

What a strange and unsual marketing technique. I'm sure they got lots of press exposure from it.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Let's see. childish comments, inaccurate data(wii u in second place) the belief we need them, begging for money and flip flopping. Maybe these guys will try out politics next?

ZB42

ZB42 said:

Why would you choose to reboot this of all the games out there? This was terrible when it was released.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

FMV was the worst trend in video games ever. I got suckered in by the "graphics" as a kid and asked for a 3DO for Christmas. I got one, and several games that you don't actually "play" so much as you just use a controller like a TV remote - queuing up different videos. I was stuck with that miserable system for far too long. Sega CD, CD-i, 3DO - never again.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I said it in the previous article about this. That they had never heard of never burning bridges since they hold their old grudge against us Wii U owners. Turns out I was right about it. Guess their 20 year old resentment disappeared in a matter of days.

Sadly, it reminds me of Cult County asking 3DS owners to back it after being given the middle finger. I am giving my money to Hive Jump.

Lord

Lord said:

Is ths the same company who made the texas alien invasion fmv game called ground zero! As if I remember this was the best of the fmv games during that period.
Sewer shark, ground zero, night trap, mad dog etc.

ACK

ACK said:

It was all a PR stunt. Show's over, folks. This campaign is going to flounder and flail before flopping with a thud. They saw the writing on the wall and summoned the one source of notoriety for their abysmal product. These guys may be scrappy, but they are certainly less than clever.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

What was that about not burning bridges?

Makes me wonder about the drama behind the status updates. That's a pretty quick flip flop after their rather passionate denunciation of Nintendo.

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

I think the story of this Kickstarter is more intriguing than the plot of the game itself!!! At least they admitted their mistake

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

Well they're never gonna reach the goal now. Once you piss off Nintendo fanboys even once,you can pretty much never expect any further support from them.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

@PokeTune

Totally true. For being lovers of such positively whimsical game franchises, Nintenerds sure have a tendancy toward eternal grudges and hating on anything-not-nintendo.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

WU, Ps4, & XB1's digital shop servers' space is too precious to waste on this pile of programming.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

This is still an incredibly stupid game that should remain buried deep in the past with the likes of ET on the Atari and Big Rig Racing on the PC. The early days of CD-ROM gaming was embarrassing for the entire industry, and Night Trap is a prime example of that. Why in the hell would anyone want to see it rereleased?

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I feel they just said this just to attract more backers as the earlier statement was too harsh and to many gamers stupid. They would still do this but this is just a stunt to acquire the funds as soon as possible as you can see it's not as successful yet

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@joey302 Don't forget Sewer Shark and Ground Zero:Texas.
Honestly, I've still got the original and the 32X versions of this, strictly for collection purposes. So I can't see myself paying for it a third time, considering how "meh" I found it the first two times.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

They can put it on every platform they want. The "game" (if you can call it that, which I don't think you can) is still downright terrible and isn't getting a penny of my money.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

As a SEGA owner during their hay day I have to say these guys need to just realize that we lost the war. I loved my Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast but those days are gone now. Of course I wasn't stupid enough to get a SEGA CD.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

People in this comments section act as if their own family was insulted by these people. You really have reached a new level of derp as a consumer when you hold a grudge just because someone insulted a company that you happen to own a console from.

onery

onery said:

My thoughts on this: regardless of whether they wanted/needed more support for their kickstarter, it's still a decent gesture to overturn their statements this early on than to stubbornly go about their way till say the last 3 days of their KS. If that was the case, then I'd be all cynical and stuff. Right now it seems like they're listening to their supporters and decided that being a big baby about events 20 years ago (especially since many things have changed) isn't going to help them professionally (see: Areal).

Also to those saying that the project can't go on without Nintendo player's contributions, I'd turn to Shovel Knight's KS results. Of their 300k funds a third was made for the Nintendo systems while the rest for PC/Mac (can't remember exactly the divisions, but I believe it's around that). Not saying that Nintendo player's don't help much but just that I don't believe the Night Trap devs were looking for a windfall from Nintendo players/supporters when they made that announcement.

Regarding Night Trap itself: a overly cheesy 80's film with hilariously (bad?) villians. Probably best played in a group and just laughing everything off. Geeze, the Nintendo of old was pulling straw out of its ass back then to try and get this put towards senate. Bollocks that.

onery

onery said:

@S-Miyahon I'd rather a slightly more cooperative environment. I understand the need for exclusives and all but really the back-stabby-stabby stuff of the past we can all do without. It's bad enough indies are getting into bed with the demons that plague the industry anyway.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Like anyone really cares about a Night Trap remake. Wii U or not, I'm not getting this nonsense.

theBluntKnight

theBluntKnight said:

why did these guys think that the world needs a new night trap game anyway? I never played it but I've seen reviews and gameplay (if you can call it that) footage on youtube and it looks pretty dull.