Meta Knight Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Battleship Halberd stage sets the scene

Just recently we reported on a Miiverse update from Masahiro Sakurai that showed off mascot outfits for Mii characters, though he also seemed to be teasing a return for Meta Knight in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. That tease is now a reality.

As you can see in the Pic of the Day posts below, Meta Knight has been confirmed as a new challenger, with some insight also given into its Up Special Move.

Pic of the day. "Looks like there was an impostor in the earlier posts, so I introduced him to my sword!" ...I'll leave it up to your imagination if he really said that or not. The veteran hero, Meta Knight, returns to battle!! We didn't forget the Battleship Halberd either!!

Meta Knight's Up Special Move, Shuttle Loop, changed quite a bit in this game. The glide is gone, and the attack slashes opponents twice while spinning in a large loop. This has turned into a highly technical and effective move.

It's welcome news that the Battleship Halberd stage will also be making an appearance.

As we mentioned previously, Meta Knight was a favourite for some in Super Smash Bros. Brawl due to how easy he was to use and his powerful, relentless attacks; some competitive tournaments felt he was so overpowered or open to easy manipulation that he was banned. Whether the balancing in the new entries will allay those concerns is anyone's guess.

Are you happy with the return of Meta Knight, or worried it'll be an overpowered character in local and online matches? Let us know.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

It's awesome to have Meta Knight back! It seems like the balancing of other characters has been changed around for Smash 4, so maybe he won't be quite as OP as he was in Brawl?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's worth staying up to see this reveal. I already couldn't believe that people thought the Mii mask could have possibly de-confirmed him, and this just makes them look even sillier. So much for those who thought a nerfed Meta Knight wouldn't be worth bringing back. Sakurai is the Kirby man, so of course Meta Knight is back.

Like many of you, I hope that Meta Knight has been toned down a bit, and I imagine Sakurai has been forced to do just that. He'll still be a good fighter, though.

The Halberd stage has been known since the Smash Bros. Direct, so there was that to consider this whole time as well. It's just so cool and funny that Sakurai actually joked about the Mii mask after all. I'm surprised to see a character announced on a Wednesday, but with the Smash Bros. 3DS release just around the corner in Japan, I guess we should expect more exciting reveals to come and quite a few more veterans to be revealed!

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

...AAANND this announcement wouldn't have anything to do with a certain well publicised, Sony centric 'Gamescom' happening right now as we speak, would it? Tis okay...Sony have yet again shafted the Vita, displaying their true colours as an utterly soulless 'tech' entity, so I could care less about 'em...

There's only ONE place to get amazing first party support and that's on Nintendo consoles. Rain, hail, or Armageddon...

They don't simply 'give up' on their hardware, unlike certain competitors..

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Also, it might not be anything major, but some general information was posted on the Smash Bros. website about some of the modes including single-player modes, mainly confirming the new Classic Mode with the branching paths and Kid Icarus: Uprising-like difficulty system. The Mii Fighters are also the new enemies in the Multi-Man Smash like the Fighting Polygon Team, wire frames, and alloys in the past.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

"Battleship Halberd stage also confirmed"

Thomas, you do realize that the stage was confirmed 4 months ago during the Smash Direct? :P

MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91 said:

Why are you referring to Meta Knight as "it"? At any rate, it's good to see him back even though there should have been no doubts from anyone about his return. And as @DestinyMan mentioned (EDIT: Also @SockoMario), we have known about the Halberd stage returning since the Smash Direct.

allav866

allav866 said:

If nothing else, Metaknight's recovery is nerfed, so I'll gladly accept that much.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I'm quite diggin' Meta Knight's new up special, the glide from the old version was useless imo.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

@AugustOxy

I actually own a Vita, so it's real hard to say those things. It really is a great device and I do love it, but its creator simply couldn't care less about it... I just don't understand why Sony is in the gaming business at this stage...they really don't have the passion for it.

Anyway, this post is about the glorious META KNIGHT and the best damn gaming company in the world! YAAARGGGGHHH!

This game will be amazing...not 'maybe' or 'might' or even 'could be'...it WILL!!!

agqwestern

agqwestern said:

he REALLY was due because there was just 2 characters from the kirby series... but HELL YEAH!!!

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Hey Kirby, have you every Met a Knight before? ;)

Seriously though, what Smash Bros roster is complete without Meta Knight????? :D

Xilef

Xilef said:

Hopefully i can play as him now without feeling bad for his over power. :P

Porky

Porky said:

Not surprised he's one of Sakurai's babies; I hope he's nerfed. The recovery is a start. Now we need Bandana Waddle Dee as the 4th Kirby representative please!!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Official site is showing 8 more blank profile spaces, so I'm guessing that means at least 45 fighters.

Remisio

Remisio said:

@drewb0203 since there is a mii plaza majora's mask... It will be in smash... And when it gets shown watch all the new sites jump up and be like:

NINTENDO TEASES MAJORA'S MASK REMAKE. HAPPENING RELEASE NOW SOMEDAY IN YEAR OR SOMETHING IDK.

Link506

Link506 said:

Was it even a question if Meta knight would return? Everone liked him, he's in alot of kirby games, and he's one of the favorite characters from the main director himself. He had a great chance on returning.

But on a side note here, does anyone else think Mewtwo will return? I've never played as him, but I love the character, so I'm sticking with all the mewtwo fans out there. Does anyone here think he might return?

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@doctor_doak They have a bigger passion that Microsoft. And the PS3 and PS4 do prove that Sony does care about gaming, and view it as more than yet another product line. They have some people running the Playstation division who are passiiontate about video games(some of whom are former Sega guys.)

And while I'm not defending their treatment of the Vita, it feels like Sony is cutting their losses on a system that flopped. Their strongest line if their home consoles, and it feels like they are focusing on that.

I can understand your frustratiion wiith the Vita, but as a PS3 owner I'm happy with Sony. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth, and I'm happy Sony is the only one who has not left older hardware owners out on a limb. Microsoft has all but abandoned the Xbox 360.

To me, the souless company is Microsoft. It seems less and less like they understand gaming and seem to be run by guys who view it as yet another division, no dfferent from Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@Porky

Go to the site, click on any character and scroll to the bottom of the screen. You will see 9 profile shots of fighters. click the right arrow 4 times, and you'll end up on a page with just Kid Icarus and 8 empty tiles. I doubt Nintendo would leave any of these tiles empty, so therefore they'll be at least 8 more characters.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Now who was I JUST telling in that other article that Metaknight was definitely 100% coming? Come forward so I may tell you I told you so.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

@Iggly Actually, Meta Knight easily had the most powerful glide in Brawl. It was the fastest one of the bunch, and pretty easy to control versus Charizard's. And if I'm not mistaken, if you had any jumps left, you could cancel out of his initial glide and perform a shuttle loop to start a second glide, giving him practically infinite recovery range. This is on top of his other 3 special attacks also being viable recovery moves.

The glide being gone is definitely a good thing, and it sounds like they're refocusing the attack to be more in-line with how a lot of players used it anyways (as a powerful mid-air finisher). Here's hoping they reduce the capabilities of the Mach Tornado, as well.

Link506

Link506 said:

@ModestFan93 But if you think about it, he has had his own movie lately, along with X and Y mega forms, AND he was supposed to make it into brawl, but was cut because time restraints. And when people asked the pokemon company whither or not he would be in the game, Sakruai answered himself that "They were thinking about it". Mewtwo would need alot of work done on him in the last 6 years so this could be why he hasn't been announced yet.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I want Princess Daisy in it. And NOT as a different colour scheme for Peach, that's just wrong.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, watch him get banned from tournaments again. But seriously its nice to see Meta Knight back in smash 4.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I didn't think for a second he would be cut, but it's nice to see none the less. Personally I loved playing as Meta Knight. Before Brawl even came out and he was announced I was thrilled. He was my number 1 most anticipated character and he pretty well delivered in-game. Shame he was broken levels of good, but I was just happy he was in the game.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

I could never really get any K.O. power outta him, so as long as the gliding is gone, I think he'll be just fine.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

They more they reveal the more I realize I should just cancel other preorders and focus on smash. It is all I will be playing anyway.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@SanderEvers: I totally agree. This is something I've wanted for a while, too; ever since Melee, as a matter of fact.

@Everyone_Else: Like most here, I'm cool w/ his return, provided he's properly nerfed to be fair in a match, not over, or under powered, but just right.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Sakurai was never going to cut his own character. I can only hope he was nerfed.

There is now further evidence that gliding has been removed.

Porky

Porky said:

@MrGawain Oh I see thanks. Except that there are only 3 blank squares at the moment. But don't the newest revealed characters appear at the left? Oh well I don't doubt there being 45+ characters!!

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Holy over-exposed cleavage Batman! That hype train just keeps runnin' over us and runnin' over us. Hit me again with Mewtwo please :)

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Happy he's back, but maybe he can give some of that power to Ganondorf to help balance the characters out a bit?

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Glad to have Meta Knight back, (one of my fav' Kirby characters) and apparently he's being "nerfed" to appease the fans who complain/think he's "OP."

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Mr Game & Watch. Please? I'm shocking with absolutely everyone else! Just give me that little legend and I'll be happy.

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

Yeah! He returns. I guess he'll have to be nerfed but at least he's there. It's not gonna effect me anyhow.

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

@Iggly

You could use that glide to pass under Final Destination stage... if you're skilled enough. That was also very efective to push his horizontal recovery, that's far from useless.

Now just anounce Bandana Dee Sakurai.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

There's 40 in the roster now (including Meta Knight) so we just need these five to come back and that wraps up SSB4 roster.

• Wario
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Ganondorf
  • Mr. Game and Watch
PokeMaster827

PokeMaster827 said:

I am very happy that Meta Knight is back. Personally, I think that Meta Knight definitely is slightly OP, But characters like Ike and Snake, who can do 20-30% with one simple hit should be nerfed more than Meta Knight.