Ganondorf Confirmed as a Playable Character in Hyrule Warriors

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ghirahim and Zant also playable

Nintendo has concluded its Hyrule Warriors Direct, and a few snippets of new information were revealed. A major announcement saved for the end was Ganondorf; he's not just a villain in the game, but will also be playable.

He looked pretty powerful in the reveal footage, dishing out meaty blows with his Great Sword. He wasn't the only villain announced to be playable, either, with Zant — The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — and Ghirahim — The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword — also confirmed beyond their roles as the enemy. It'll be interesting to see how they'll be woven into the plot; will they be allies of Link and company, or simply playable from another perspective against new foes?

As an extra, those in North America that register Hyrule Warriors on Club Nintendo in the first four weeks of release will received free Demon King Ganondorf costume DLC.

Below is a trailer showing Ganondorf's big reveal — let us know what you think.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

We all saw this coming.

What about Pig Ganon? Not including A Link Between Worlds, when's the last time we've seen him?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Dynasty Warriors had playable villains too, I've read, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Man, Ganondorf looks intense. That long hair!

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

I don't know why but, the long hair version of Ganondorf somewhat bugs me, not bad but, I prefer the more cornrow looking hair for some reason. :P

onlyonemello

onlyonemello said:

You KNOW Tingle is in there somewhere just waiting to be an unlockable, playable character. It has to happen.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I saw this coming but... Gahhh! Tingle, where are you???

Also, since villains are in, Skull Kid.

Videogamer123

Videogamer123 said:

I really wasn't interested in this game at all. But now thanks to this direct, I'm almost as hyped for it as smash bros.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I was planning on getting Hyrule Warriors at a later date, but when I saw that there's a Club Nintendo promotion that allows you get the Ganon Costume DLC for free, I may have to hold off buying eshop games so I can buy this. ;)

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Aww man I'm so excited for this game sucks I won't be able to get the pre-orders and exclusive content :/ but OMG !!!!

spongebob16

spongebob16 said:

Also, the swords are from: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Fidu21

Fidu21 said:

@kereke12 i'm sure it'l be available as normal DLC. at least we all get the Ganon costume because of aClub Nintendo

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

If it wasnt for Ganondorfs reveal this would have been the biggest waste a near half hour ever. NOTHING new. A few updates on previously released bits but nothing bramd new... until Ganondorf.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@DestinyMan Dynasty Warriors basicly has no villains: Well...i guess you could say that Dong Zhuo counts as a villain even in a historical sense :P
But from a technical standpoint, this story has no real heroes and villains. All have their different motivations and ambitions and all are for a greater good, except for Dong Zhuo, who basicly was the trigger for the Three Kingdoms war.

But the main DW series is at 75 playable characters in DW8 XL, Orochi 3 Hyper is at 147 Characters total. So the inclusion of a spinn offs main villain is no suprise at all ;)

xerneas

xerneas said:

Cool, although I like the inclusion of Ghirahim and Zant more! I wonder if there's any way to get that pack here in Finland where we don't have proper club nintendo.. uughhh

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I think half of the fun of a game like this is being surprised by hidden characters. Everyone knew Ganon was in there- and I'm guessing all the characters they've revealed are the storyline characters. Kudos to Nintendo and TK for keeping some in game surprises back.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@Genesaur Twilight Princess

Welp...if we get Ganondorf in Smash, I'll definitely be disappointed, because 1) we won't get this design and 2) he'll most likely not get the kickdonkey swords either.

Tecmo just ruined a Smash character for me lol
(but damn...they're better at designing the classic Zelda characters than Nintendo :p)

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@Mewtwo21 I hate pre-order bonuses like this. What about the nations that don't have a Club Nintendo??? Guess we just gotta pay up instead >_<

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Tsurii897 @mudmask Sort of, yeah. But there, he was basically Wild Boar Ganondorf. Still a cool design, and an interesting way of merging the concepts, but I mean the bipedal, usually blue pig-man Ganon of olde. I want him back.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@ThreeD33 speculation not at all confirmation. And looks more like his Twilight Princess look still. Plus the picture could be obviously fake

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

I wasn't too convinced about this game...but, the Direct truly gave some hype upon it! The DLC seems to be bigger on this game than any Wii U game before... at least looks like. Will they keep that track?

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@sinalefa It wasn't the same. And besides, I was lamenting his absence from this game. I only noted that it's been a long time since we've seen him in a main-line (thus, not including A Link Between Worlds) Zelda game to further empasize how not favoured he apparently is.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

OK ok okay... okay... Okay... that settles it... I'm buying this game. I was on the fence, I was like meh, doesn't bother but now... now... yeah I'm hooked. Damn you Nintendo... Damn you Tecmo Koei... Damn you all!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@Genesaur oh..okay. Well..uhm..yeah, never thought of it that way (to differentiate between boar and pig Ganon) tbh. I guess it's been really darn long then. I think the last game with the bipedal form was 4 Swords in..2004? I think even a bit older.

And..why are you not including A Link between Worlds? Because it wasn't technically Ganon or is there another reason? (I didn't play it yet, but I'm curious :D)

Stumpynuts

Stumpynuts said:

Does this mean that Ganondorf is going to have a completely new moveset in the new upcoming Smash Bros games?

I figured that since he hasn't been officially revealed in Smash yet it makes sense now to show him off with magic/sword/levitation abilities in a similar style to Robin.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Awesome! I like the Oot and Windwaker Ganondorf more, but its awesome nonetheless!

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

Well, I'm pretty convinced I'll buy this game now. Darn you, Nintendo and Koei Tecmo for getting me into a new series.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Tsurii897 Um, I guess it's because Yuga had fused with Ganon. It wasn't entirely Ganon. Felt more like a beast to slay, rather than the great master of evil, or whatever. I dunno. I guess play it, then come back and compare your thoughts to the way that I feel.