Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Forty Nine

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Paper Mario! Target Blast! Pokémon! More!

Another week has passed, which means we're ever closer to Super Smash Bros., with the 3DS version less than two months away. The tingle of anticipation is real, almost as real as the never-ending hype.

Masahiro Sakurai knows this, of course, and continues to serve up daily doses of screenshot loveliness on the Director's Room Miiverse community. In this past week the main reveals were saved for the fast-approaching portable iteration, with two new stages and a mini-game being shown for the first time.

As always you can see the posts below — check them out and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

28th July

29th July

30th July

31st July

1st August

Some interesting screens this week, so let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (174 votes)

Takamaru shows off some skills as Link looks on

20%

An enormous desk fan doesn't bode well for the fighters

The S.S. Flavion provides a stylish setting for battle

22%

The Villagers are delighted to see Boss Galaga's capture of DK

18%

Pokémon Black and White finally gets a stage on 3DS

11%

Pikachu weights up its options with a bomb

Bomb goes BOOOOOM and lots of points are score

11%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

maxcriden

maxcriden said:

So psyched to see a Paper Mario stage. (What a surprise, right?) I hope we see Paper Mario, Luigi, Peach or Bowser as a character.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I really like the Galaga beam. I wonder if that's a power for just Pac-Man or if its an Assist Trophy...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Is it just me or Sakurai is not a fan of DK? He is always being humiliated, and even the villagers are making fun of him, thus earning my vote.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Even though I have Takamaru in an avatar, without a shadow of a doubt I voted for the Paper Mario stage and the S.S. Flavion segment in particular.

Seeing how fleshed out Takamaru looks, it's slightly disappointing to see him just being an assist trophy. With today's Prince Sable assist trophy pic, it makes me wonder if his game will finally release westward too.

@Sinalefa: I think it's because Donkey Kong makes funny faces, but rest assured, DK will get his time to shine!

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Why do they have the Flavion (a TTYD stage) in 3DS? I thought the stages were supposed to be based on handheld games? In any case, I'm excited about the bomb mode.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

N's Castle, love that place. I kinda hope we get a Hoenn stage, as that (along with Gen V) was my favorite Pokemon gen. I would like one that transfers from gym to gym, with every gym having it's own unique hazard.
Normal: No hazards
Ground: Earthquakes, of course.
Flying: Floaty psychics (Brawl)
Grass: Vines with platforms will sometimes come out of the ground.
And so on. And also because gen 3 has some epic music. (TRUMPETS FTW)

xerneas

xerneas said:

Target blast looks so fun! I sure hope they'll include minigames in the Wii u one...

Yosher

Yosher said:

The S.S. Flavion wasn't exactly my favourite setting in The Thousand-Year Door, and Sticker Star in itself can go to heck for all I care, so I won't be voting for that one. My vote goes to N's Castle, because I personally just loved that setting, and am very happy to see it represented here!

Link506

Link506 said:

Ohmygosh. The pokemon stage looks awesome! I will definitely play alot on that stage.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

I'm excited to see interesting new items, so I'm voting Galaga. Takamaru was close, though.

On that note, why don't they resurrect Takamaru's Ninja Castle as a series so they can use him as a full character in the future? It should be revived as a stealth/action game and, judging by my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the original, has a lot of potential to be great.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Don't have a favorite photo, but my favorite line is:

"You can shoot it down, but it won't join you in battle for double the firepower."

Sakurai the stand-up

kingston589

kingston589 said:

I voted for takamaru. I know people wanted him as a character, but he doesn't make much sense at this time.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Mostly thanks to the 3DS version getting more screentime, this week was OUTSTANDING.
Voted for N's Castle. Total no-brainer.

@Beta
@Lasermaster123

Slightly off-topic, but here's something I drew on Miiverse. Alex 3D is the name - if you're curious, look for it with the Miiverse usersearch option.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Awww Takumaru should've been a playable character! I reckon he could've had quite the fiercesome move-set! He could've easily taken the place of another character. I have a few in mind cough*Wario*cough but I won't mention them in case I offend someone. I just wish I still had the 3DS but hey I'm trying to simplify things.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Nice screenshots of SSB! Especially Takamaru!

@AlexSora89

Nice drawings for our awaited smash bros. reveals! Definitely want to see the first one, i. e. Isaac! Can't wait for his reveal! Replaying the first 2 games these days.

Although I wouldn't mind the 2nd one but it seems unlikely, considering the home console versions didn't hit Nintendo consoles plus the 3rd entry seems unlikely even though all the middle games were on Nintendo's handheld. Personally I would have preferred Roxas though :D 358/2 days was my first game and I liked him much more. Plus that dual wielding!

Still looking forward to Isaac though! Here comes the (golden) sun.. And I say it's alright!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@sketchturner He's broke that 'rule' loads of times. It's not really a strict rule it's more of a way of sorting out who gets what stage, but some inevitably involve both handheld and portable so it's not really possible to enforce.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Lasermaster123

Thank you, I hoped you'd appreciate that (you can also see my Miiverse profile with my NL profile page now). Also, have you seen today's pic of the day? Doesn't that obscure frog prince seem a bit... "Isaac-y"? And with such a character taking Isaac's place as an Assist Trophy, well... you get the picture ;)

TanookiToad64

TanookiToad64 said:

Wow, I thought that the ship was from Sticker Star. Looking back though, and seeing the sunset, I see the ship from TTYD. Nice touch Nintendo, this stage in particular sounds pretty hectic and fun!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

After some thought I chose N's castle. There were so many awesome screenshots this week it was hard to choose, but I really really REALLY loved fighting on Spear Pillar and to see a similar stage is just freaking awesome.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@AlexSora89

Yea kind of. I hope such happens. With Takamaru getting a chance as an assist trophy and the new Frog Prince, these 2 being from only Japan releases, Isaac needs to be promoted to a challenger!

Untitled
banner by FalKoopa on SmashBoards

Although his actual newcomer pic would probably be much more legendary.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Lasermaster123 My favourites would be Sheba and Felix, or Alex, Saturos and Menardi. Time to put those cartridges back in my GB Player of Micro.

On-topic here: those villagers are hilarious!

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Shambo

I am replaying Golden Sun these days :D Can't wait to get Isaac with Sol Blade, lvl 99 Ronin in the 2nd game. Although highest I have grinded to in a single game would probably be level 70.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Lasermaster123
Hopefully the Golden Sun artist will do the artwork for Isaac as well, just as was the case with Mega Man, Greninja, Palutena, Robin and, to a lesser extent, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac and Rosalina.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Lasermaster123 I played these as a kid when they came out (I say as a kid, because I lived with my mom still back then, don't recall my age, but must've been below 20) and I kept on walking up and down in a hallway of a hidden island somewhere, where blue phoenixes appeared who gave the highest EXP in the entire game, and some other enemies who very rarely dropped one of the greatest weapons of all. Had all Djinns, all summons, all best gear, all 8 characters LV 99 :D and I normally NEVER go for such a thing, it was just an excellent game series on GBA.

Beta

Beta said:

@AlexSora89 Who dares to summon me? (Marks "Cool Entry" from the list of things to do in life). Just opened Miiverse to see them, waaaay awesome! It just needs Professor Layton and Wonder Red/Blue to make that list complete XD I mean, come on, what new roster can beat that with Sora, Isaac, Megaman, Professor Layton and Wonder Red? XD

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Beta
None :D

@Shambo

Yea. Once I helped my sister, (read played the game along with her) and got all the best unleash armors and everything for the sake of it. It involved RNG abuse though but just wanted to try it out for fun. It was awesome, Isaac unleashing Meggido every single time. Playing it for the 5th time now and still as fun as ever :D I first played it when I was 10 I guess.

@AlexSora89
Yes, I certainly hope so.