Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Fifty One

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mii outfits! Meta Knight! Mega Man! More!

It feels like we're approaching the home straight of Super Smash Bros. hype, with the nights (slowly) drawing in and the arrival of the 3DS entry well under two months away. There are still some mysteries to be unravelled, however, and Masahiro Sakurai has been upping his efforts to get gamers excited about both versions.

Sakurai-san's exploits in the Director's Room Miiverse community were certainly notable last week. The Meta Knight reveal was the headline moment, but we were also shown new items and more of the 3DS version's UI (user interface) for equipping powers; don't knock it, those abilities will be pretty important in seeking an edge over opponents, so being able to select them without a complicated setup prompting a mild panic attack is rather important.

Plenty to look at, then; you can check out last week's Pic of the Day entries below — click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

11th August

12th August

13th August

14th August

15th August

If you hit the X Button, it will randomly fill up the remaining weight allowance with powers. You can keep changing the line-up as many times as you please. The level of a power is proportional to its strength, number of uses, and weight. Organizing them might be easier if you label your favorite powers with a ★.

Interesting screens this week, we hope you'll agree; let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (215 votes)

Mii Fighters decide to try a bit of cosplay

12%

Pikachu looks rather pleased to have the Special Flag

11%

Meta Knight makes its menacing entrance

28%

Kirby's stunned by Mega Knight's Shuttle Loop

Mega Man shows off some stylish threads - and moves

31%

Equipping powers for Smash Run is like a deadly lunch box

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Neither a fan of Metaknight nor the Namco stuff, - as always- don't care for the 3DS version, but the Mii costumes and Megaman were great.
Voted for Megaman, tho. Because Metaknight mask :p

S3OL

S3OL said:

Tbh I'm quite stoked for Metaknight returning, although I'm not a fan of the mask.

Beat as well as Rush Coil are awesome but the highlight for me was definitely seeing Metaknight again.

123akis

123akis said:

My favourite this week is: Kirby's stunned by Mega Knight's Shuttle Loop

Meta knight looks great!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for the Mii accessories. Meta Knight is cool, don't get me wrong, but I seriously never doubted his return. The Mii accessories that are more than likely the Streetpass Mii Plaza accessories just further expands the already massive customization for Miis.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Guhhhh. I wanted to vote on the mii fighters samus & meta knight combo but it went to the special flag.

Nice to see meta knight back.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Been wondering all weekend - any word on a level editor in either version of Smash? My kids made over a hundred in Brawl. They already said no to a Subspace Emmissary sequel, if they also take out the level editor thats 2 huge omissions for us.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Is it just me, or do the petals of the Plant Barrier look awful? They look like they were made in MS Paint. The flag does seem very over powered, that will be one of the items I turn off for sure.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@Bulbousaur Plant Man was the joke Robot Master so what do you expect?Plus the design is identical to the artwork so really it looks pretty good

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Hmm, Sakurai I am still waiting for the huge newcomer reveal for Isaac. These screenshots are not yet cutting it. I need Golden Sun representation in the form of the original earth shaking adept, Isaac!

Still the screenshots look cool though. Hyped up for the game. Favourite is the Megaman screenshot but once Isaac is announced as a challenger, that screen will be favourite of all (Smash 4) time!

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

I already knew Meta Knight was comming, so nothing inpressive. Megaman having more weapons from his games is a big update for me, specialy since they are not just rehashed moves, like Mario getting diferent fire balls. Voted for that. This fills me with hope that the customise system is not crap at all.

RandomLeo00

RandomLeo00 said:

@RaphaBoss @Lasermaster123
I saw him only in 1 of the hundred of Smash gameplay videos of E3 I saw...
Saddly I don't remember which video is it (Probably Clash Tournament, VGBootCamp or one of the Treehouse videos).
He does the same as in Brawl.
Sorry I could't find the link.

MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91 said:

The Mega Man pic was one of the highlights for me this week. It's great he put Beat in there, and one of the lesser known weapons as an alternative to Leaf Shield. I hope more weapons are available in his custom moves.

And even though I already saw it at Smash Fest and in the various Smash videos I've watched, I love that the red and white Rush colors were added as one of his pallet swaps. It looks soooooooo good.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@RandomLeo00

I doubt it. If he had been seen in any of the Smash 4 videos available on the Internet or any other gameplay videos shown, we would have known. Sakurai is revealing things bit by bit and even ATs are not just shown like that.

Are you sure did not mix up videos of Brawl with videos of Smash 4?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I want to be clear that I never doubted Meta Knight's return. That was just a stupid typo on my part.

RandomLeo00

RandomLeo00 said:

@Lasermaster123
I would want to say I'm 100% sure, but since I couldn’t find the link, don't take my word for it =/.
I also want Isaac playable so I said something like "Oh well, I knew he wasn't going to make it, but what a shame." when I saw him.
And not everything has been revealed, for instance, Magnus is an AT and Sakurai himself have never said that.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@RandomLeo00

Well Magnus might not have been announced by Sakurai but he was shown and most of the Smash community knows that he is an assist trophy. The same cannot be said for Isaac since if even a glimmer of his was there in any of the Smash 4 videos, someone would have caught onto it, uploaded or linked it and put it on the web saying Isaac returns as an assist trophy. Plus you would have found a link easily. That is why I am NOT taking your work on it :P

He is still unconfirmed and I hope he makes an entry in Smash 4 as a fully playable challenger.