Brinstar Confirmed as Classic Stage for Smash Bros. 3DS

Posted by Alex Olney

New Zero Suit Samus outfits as well

The infamous rising-lava stage Brinstar has been confirmed for a return in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

During Sakurai's pic of the day, he revealed a new costume design for Zero Suit Samus based on her Metroid: Zero Mission final design, and was very clear to point out that the slightly risqué design was created by a female designer. Zero Suit Samus' design in this game did raise some concern that the Metroid-busting bounty hunter was becoming overly sexualised, so it's understandable why Sakurai would want to highlight this particular fact.

In a secondary image he posted the same two costumes on the 3DS version – as you can see above – but the costumes were not what caught everyone's attention, more the stage they were on was the classic Brinstar stage which debuted in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Full of different hazards and destructible terrain, a match on this stage was never dull, and it'll please Metroid and non-Metroid fans alike to see this stage return. More importantly this is another instance of a classic stage being shown in the game, and thus opens up a world of possibility for more stages from previous game to return.

What classic stages would you like to appear next? Would you like to see the graphics remain unchanged or updated for the HD era?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Ony

Ony said:

I like how he point out "her FEMALE designer" to avoid some controversy... :]

Artwark

Artwark said:

I wonder if the next costume will be Samus with her power suit but that her face is unmasked.......or if her next costume will be in bikini. Not that I'm a pervert or something don't get me wrong but still.

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first classic stage to be revealed. Jungle Japes from melee and Green Hill Zone from brawl have already been confirmed.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Y'know...I'd rather have them update those models themselves instead of doing alternative ones. The 3DS game looks fine! But some of those Wii U pictures look like a Brawl with new textures in my opinion. And I'm NOT one of those people, who need uber-crisp 4k textures in every game, it's just something that's kinda annoying me. Especially if you compare it to some of the other 1st party games :|

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

Worried about her becoming overly sexualised? This is an alt costume for Zero Suit Samus. Just look at the Zero Suit! If ZSS is fine, so is this. Both appeared in the Metroid games.

PLATINUM7

PLATINUM7 said:

I find it funny that Brinstar's reveal is the headline, when most people didn't even seem to notice it after seeing the costumes.

Iggly

Iggly said:

This Pic of the Day must've really pleased the fans as within the first hour it was shown, the comment limit was already reached. I'm not one of those people who stays up late for this kind of stuff, but my current timezone lets me see the Potd without staying up late. ;)

Xilef

Xilef said:

Some people are going crazy over this, like Nintendo is treating Samus like a Dead or Alive girl.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Tsurii897 The graphics in brawl (edit: *er, smash 4) , especially the characters, are rather lackluster when compared to the rest of Ninty's star line-up, I've been disappointed by them since the reveal trailer :( but that WILL NOT make a difference to if I buy the game or not

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Great to see another Melee stage confirmed. I know people will cry about her being over sexualized for Smash Bros but honestly it is a costume taken straight from a Metroid game anyway. As a side note I think I'm happy most women don't look like this anyway. She needs to eat something! Ha. Jokes aside though, I think even her lack of fat whatsoever makes sense for her anyway. If you've ever played a Metroid game you know how athletic she is (more so than a normal human)

NinjaWaddleDee

NinjaWaddleDee said:

On one hand, those costumes are from my favorite Metroid game: Metroid Zero MIssion. On the other hand, a lot of middle school boys are going to be reeeeaaall happy right now. I'm sure google's search engines will be flooded with Samus requests after this game releases.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@PvtOttobot it won't make a difference for me either, but it's kind of a missed opportunity. I mean..the stages look great, why don't they put as much (or more) effort into ALL of the models then? :(

Kirby, Metaknight and Dedede look great for example, but characters like Mario seem to be taken straight out of Brawl, updated with HD textures to fit the new artstyle more and that's it. I think Sakurai is a bit biased in how much work he puts into those characters

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

I like this outfit, all we need now is delfino shirt Mario and then I justify playing Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff's "Summertime" over the regular music.

Also, I just noticed how incredibly flexible Samus is. Damn, girl.

YuuMonMu

YuuMonMu said:

Here comes the Feminist White Knight's comments...

Anyway, she looks like a topical girl with rollerblades you would see skating next to the beach in a late 80s movie. lol

rjejr

rjejr said:

They should call it "beach volleyball Samus".

I know they would be wearing a whole lot less if they were playing beach volleyball but that's the first thing that popped into my mind, probably b/c there were 2 of them in different color outfits.

Don't they usually only show 1 of each character in these? Can somebody find me another photo w/ the same character twice. Guess you can never have enough skin. ;-)

@Xilef - W/ DoA its not about the outfits, it sabout the bounce. And while the potential is obviously there for a whole lot of bouncing w/ these outfits, we'll need to see them in action for that.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Brinstar is a good stage, but it was already a retro stage in Brawl, so I hope Sakurai and team don't return too many retro stages that already returned once. I don't mind Jungle Japes since that's one of my favorites from Melee. But if this is in the 3DS version, I hope that means that Brinstar Depths is in the Wii U version. I would rather see huge, intimidating Kraid in HD than 3D anyway.

And about the Zero Suit Samus costumes, they suit Samus. It's not like they put Peach and Rosalina in skimpy clothes. Those shorts are legitimate source material. They were in the alternate ending screens from Metroid: Zero Mission, so they're not random at all. Some people are overreacting. Besides, the zero suit itself could be deemed sexual, and that's just her normal outfit.

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

@Tsurii897 ZZS looks cool but I sort of agree with you. Some characters like Palutena, Zelda, Robin and Lucina, don't look as great as they should be. I would have preffered Samus model from Other M. She wasn't skinny on that game. As for Lucina and Robin, something closer to the reveal trailer, like Semi- celshaded graphic style

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Ohhhohoho. The smash bros miiverse community is GOING to have a ball with this one. Believe me. I visit there regularly.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

What have you done... you should have seen Miiverse when this was shown i was already upset they used her Other M design

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I still think it's very weird how they've been revealing retro stages. I bet the Green Hill Zone from Brawl returning in the 3DS version was totally missed by most people when it was hidden among a batch of new screenshots that were randomly released on the web.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@LUIGITORNADO

Isn't the blue one from Metroid Fusion?

As a side note, this was kind of expected since they split Samus and ZSS into different characters that the alternate costumes might be her Justin Baileys of Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Still I don't mind this being in the game as they were already in her main Metroid games so why not in Smash!

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Feminists are going to be pissed. I just think that Samus looks really weird when firing her Paralyzer with that outfit. She's waaay too flexible.

I hope there's a skimpy Captain Falcon outfit or something to balance things out and make the extreme feminists relax a bit. I find it weird that there's minor controversy about ZSS' default design when Captain Falcon looks like this: http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/captain_falcon/screen-4.jpg

Seriously, you can see his six-pack through that outfit, how's that not sexualized? Are only women not allowed to be? And it's not like every woman in Smash has giant boobs or anything, it's just Samus.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

It's about time Nintendo gave owners of a XB1 and PS4 a reason to buy a WiiU, and no it wasn't the return of the Brinstar change.

This Samus outfit honestly should be the cover of both games. Maybe Mario and Link in the background. Studies of Tomb Raider games show that is what sells.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Good Lord. What a lot of prudes. When the game comes out, just shut up and fight please.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Really disappointed in this.Could they not have made her boobs bigger and more bouncy?Shocking ;)

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I'll be playing Samus with her full suit on, thank you very much. The whole zero suit thing has not won me over. I have found it pointless.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Captain_Toad: I know, right? Miiverse artists like The Bard were already pushing it, but the drawings are going to get a bit out-of-hand.

I still think the outcry is exaggerated. If people were fine with the Wii Fit Trainer's outfit and Zero Suit Samus, they should be fine with this. What about that attention to Palutena's waist in her debut trailer while we're at it? I thought that was kinda weird. Some noticed it, but there weren't many complaining about that.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@vamkar Ok, I asked because someone on IGN posted that exact same gif in their news thread just a little bit ago. Thought that was a strange coincidence.

Anyways, still, love that scene. He pulls out a box labeled "K-9 MK II", looks at the camera and smiles.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Before people complain it could've been worse. It could've been the bikini from the original NES game's "best" ending.

Also, Eh, I didn't like that Melee stage much. I liked the N64 Brinstar stage better, as it felt a li'l larger. (I know some will disagree with me on that.) I hope they have some N64 stages included, and not just Melee & Brawl retro stages...

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

OH GOSH. I don't need everyone who plays Smash with me to pick that outfit. Aww geez. (You know they're gonna do it)

It's not that bad really, but like, I can see it being picked way too much.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

Brainstar is returning? Thats was a decent stage, never played on it much.
As for the outfit, theres some weird double standard here. In real life, if someone dosen't like the way someone else dresses, they are told they have the right to wear whatever they please and to stop sexualizing their body, however when it comes to video games, a woman showing some skin is oversexualization and crosses the line.
Never understood that thinking there.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

It actually looks as if Samus has had a reduction from Brawl if you catch my drift. She looks more naturally proportioned, tho she is sporting some serious Shaq foot. ZSS was a fav of mine in Brawl and judging from the Treehouse and E3 tournament she looks to be a much better combatant this time around.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

It's not too bad. The outfit at least looks like practical athletic sports wear for someone who is comfortable with her body rather than something designed purely to play on desire.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

WHAT THE...

How about Lucina and Zelda?! When do they get hot outfits that show more skin?!

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

@DarkKirby And Palutena! I would rather have her, WFT, Rosalina and Zelda in shorts than ZSS. Like she didn't give people solid snakes before...

noctowl

noctowl said:

Love the ignorance of people wanting skimpy male outfits.

1. It's from her actual games.
2. You get sonic and pacman naked. No naked females.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

@stv176 Yeah, those are pretty good examples. Wheres the outcry about that? I think feminsm is a great cause, but there are so many misguided complaints thrown around, a big deal is made about such unimportant things. If only women were sexualized I would understand, but it's not the case and people complain anyway.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I don't understand why people keep saying that feminists are going to be pissed over this. There is nothing wrong with the outfit. It looks pretty comfortable to me.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Dang, I'm kind of surprised that Nintendo is putting these in the game, and what Hyrule Warriors is getting away with, it's not how Nintendo usually operates. Especially with those series.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@drewb0203 Best? Maybe "on-par", because playing Smash on a small screen, small buttons, on a small rectangle, with back triggers that break too easily, wth a circle pad can't be the best version. Right?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

When these games are out, even just the 3DS version, I don't think people will care about this anymore, unless people start always choosing this as Zero Suit Samus's alt, which might get old after a while, but they have the freedom to choose.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Hmm, people are upset over samus in a bra and shorts, have we forgotten that the male characters are sexualized on a regular basis?
How many male characters are naked?
-Sonic
-Donkey Kong
-Pikachu and multiple other Pokemon
-etc
If anything us men should be upset!

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

@Artwark dude, samus is hot and not it doesnt make you or anyone a pervert, its called appreciation of females who look good, whether its sexy clothing or just regular clothes.

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

I just wonder why he chose to reveal this costume... >____>

He obviously isn't trying to steer towards the sexual nature of Zero Suit some fans are taking on, but I would probably just have waited to launch for players to find this one rather than highlighting it. Maybe he wanted to get it out that he wasn't in charge of her apparel, but still.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

Untitled

There is this pic where they have 4 villagers, to show their different outfits. And no one complained about the upskirt in one of the female villagers ;)

Austroid

Austroid said:

Nice! Brinstar is one of my favorite stages!

While I'm all for these alt. suits due to them being more practical and all (and a nice nod to those ending pics from Zero Mission), you can almost hear the creeps hyperventilating...

Sakurai's lying about the designer being female, obviously. I remember seeing some translated notes of concept art for Zero Mission; with one saying "I'm really going to enjoy drawing this!!!" with an arrow pointing at Samus' behind.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

It's pretty sad that such a benign thing can cause people to be "outraged". Keep it up, Sakurai!

HyliasHero

HyliasHero said:

Those are some of my favorite costumes to put on Zero Suit in Project M. Love that they are official now!

I-U

I-U said:

To respond to the ridiculous criticisms that Samus's tops and shorts may be receiving now, I hope this same female deigner puts Samus in a bikini. I want these supposed "fans" to be very uncomfortable, without crossing the border of Samus being overly sexualized. Currently, she's no where close. These are representing designs from Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion endings.

Actually, you know what, since people want to make reference to Samus Aran being Nintendo's DOA girl have her in an unlockable pole dance. I want to see these "fans" cringe so bad over "over sexualization" that they break their face.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

@DarkKirby
...When it is part of their game cannon? I'd understand the outrage if Samus never ever looked like this before. But this is just 2d ideas being brought in to a 3d world.

My question is what is kirby going to look like when he copies her... shudder

Also I think I'm glad Tharja didn't make it into the game... NOA would have had a magic curtain/cape following her around.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@I-U At that point we might as well just include Bayonetta.

They should have a Captain Falcon in a speedo costume.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

liking the new outfit on samus which they would of been a different color though not sure about that orange but what ever.... as for miiverse ppl going crazy calling it things like "its for the pervs" and such yet as sakurai pointed out a female staff was the one who even made these and added them in a rush which to me is some dedication there :o

i also would like to see the Other M outfit it be nice but we are kind headed towards hyrule warrios and there tons of costumes which idk is thats what smash bros should be about... o.o

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

The wii u version has top notch graphics. The 3DS does not. :(

(in comparison to comparable 1st party games on both systems )