Amida's Path Brings Interesting Combat Mechanics to DSiWare Later this Week

Posted by Alex Olney

Write 400 lines

It seems the DSiWare format refuses to give up the ghost as yet another game is set to grace its gates later this week for North American DSi and 3DS owners.

Amida's Path takes place 900 years ago in Kyoto, Japan. The city seems to be at peace until a menagerie of demons decides to wreak havoc upon its gentle citizens. You take command of three uniquely skilled characters in order to try and restore equilibrium to the fair city.

It's not a particularly unique storyline, taking most of its inspiration from Japanese folklore like so many games before it, but where it does differ is the gameplay.

Based heavily on a lottery system known as Amidakuji, you must draw lines between other lines in order for your attack to follow the changes you've made and hit your opponents. The tactical aspects come in once you realise that not only do your attacks follow the detours you've made, but so do the enemies'. It's nice to see some fresh and interesting ideas still appearing in a time where so many grey and brown FPS games flood our consoles.

Be sure to check out the trailer below for a more detailed explanation of how the game functions.

Amida's Path will be available on the eShop on your 3DS and the DSi Shop on your DSi on the 14th of August in the US for $4.99. No European release date has been announced for the moment.

JSaario

JSaario said:

Why doesn't Nintendo just cut DS and Wii Support so developers will stop making stupid decisions like these?

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

I was interested until DSiWare appeared.

'Tis a shame, since I wanted to pick this game up. First DSiWare game that I buy, perhaps

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Depending on the file size, I may get this. I believe my system memory is getting low. Can somebody remind me as to why the dsiware games can't go on my SD card?

baba_944

baba_944 said:

@Stu13 I thought the did. I have "Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords" and "Mario Vs Donkey Kong 3" on my SD card.

EDIT: Never mind I just checked. Weird.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

@baba_944 I think you can store them there but they can't be launched without moving them to the system memory. Which is fine, I guess, as you're not playing more than one at a time but it is still a clunky process.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Sounds like a good concept, I have always liked this sort of minigame. Shame it's on the DSi, it must be a really unmissable game for me to go there.

Windy

Windy said:

I have no more room for DSi so I will more than likely pass. Let's see what the review gets.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Maybe they should make a N64 game next since they like obsolete software.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I can't believe there is still an upcoming DSIware title that not scream shovelware O.O;

Really curious to see if it will get in Europe eventually :)

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

Outside of DSiWare's obvious limitations, this actually looks amazing. I just wonder if the scope of the gameplay delves deep enough to warrant replaying...

S3OL

S3OL said:

@noctowl Made me laugh a lot.

Not my kind of game at all, I will agree that the battle system is certainly unique though.

reali-tglitch

reali-tglitch said:

Well, now. I have enjoyed minigames like that, so let's see how well it works for a more fleshed-out game.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

"Alongside Truthfully Companions".... That really reads out wrong, or am I just being dumb?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

For people knocking DSi... you do know it plays just fine on your 3DS... and you don't have to go into a special mode like you do WiiU? RIGHT?!?

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

@XCWarrior Yeah, but many of us have used up all of our System Memory so it means we have to move a game to the SD card, losing all its save progress, if we want to download anymore DSiWare. It's annoying. I would buy more games if I knew I could just have them easily accessible with their save data right on my 3DS menu.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Klimbatize Are you talking on your DS? I have DSiware on my 3DS, it saves just fine... And I guess b/c I have a 32 gig SD card in my 3DS, it's never going to fill (I buy retail games physcially at all times, I like actually owning it.)

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

@XCWarrior I am talking 3DS, obviously. There is only a limited amount of System Memory to save DsiWare games. You eventually have to move some of them to your SD card (making them inaccessible from the 3DS menu). When you do this, you lose saved data.

Would be nice if Nintendo gave us more room in the System Memory. I would buy more games.