Video: Take a Closer Look At Super-Secret Bases in Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A place to get away from the grind

One of the various exciting reveals in the past week for Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire was Super-Secret Bases, bringing over and greatly expanding — hence the additional "Super" — the feature from the Game Boy Advance originals.

These bases will be heavily customisable, of course, and will utilise the advances in technology since the GBA days with extensive online communication and gameplay — you'll be able to host visitors and visit other bases, share through QR codes and engage in customisable battles. These sorts of features were, funnily enough, a key item on the wishlist of the resident 'mon fans in our round table back in May.

A new video from The Pokémon Company in Japan shows around a minute of Super-Secret Base footage, including various fun customisations. It gives a good idea of the decoration options that will be available, so check it out and let us know what you think.

[via serebii.net]

Poki

Poki said:

I loved secret bases in the old ruby days, but these seem even better! Just imagine downloading Reggie Fis-a-mechs super secret base through his QR code!

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Poki lol, imagine Nintendo publishing the "team N" gyms QR codes featuring all the well known guys from Nintendo and GameFreak!
I really hope they do such a thing! XD

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Wow. Unless I just didn't understand how they worked, I always thought the secret bases in the originals were kind of lame as you couldn't do much with them, but this looks pretty sweet. It's almost like building your own personal Pokemon Gym!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

You can make your base into a gym!!! Me and my neighbours are going to have so much fun!!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I never understood the appeal of secret bases back in the GBA days, to be honest. I'm glad they will be back for those that care, but heres a big 'meh' on a personal level.

Blaze

Blaze said:

So much hypeeeeeeeee~ Still don't get why the European release is a week later than the NA release though. u_u

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

For someone who hasn't played Pokemon since the original gameboy game, (pokémon yellow) and a brand new owner of a 3ds, would you recommend me buying x/y or hold out for OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire to get back into the series? Is there any story-line continuity? Would it make sense to build up your pokédex in one game first, rather then the other?

Also, is there any way to get your pokemon from an old gameboy cartridge onto your 3ds (I had all 151, mewtwo and all...)?

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@vamkar if it's like in gen 3, in the case you forget the spot you can make a new one anytime and the previous will be automatically dismounted.

@Tritonus you can transfer your Pokémon all the way from GBA but nothing before and you'd need one game of each gen and a original DS or a DS lite for the GBA to DS part. it's a real drag, because gen 3 to 4 can only transfer 6 pokémon every 24 hours and locks for other 24 if you try to mess with the clock

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

@GuSolarFlare Okay, so no way to retrieve my original Pokemon, so sad :( They will be forever locked away in their pokeballs. I really did grow quite attached to them! It must have been 15 years now. Good times.

Thanks for answering that though. How about my other question, should I get x/y or wait for these games?

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I kind of wish they were bigger but still look pretty fun. I want a pokemon/animal crossing mash up, lol.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

@vamkar Flannery is actually looking a little cuter, there are some very minro adjustments to her design that really work.

The best thing about the new Super Secret Bases is that you can add people to your base... or kidnap them as I like to call it. :P

Link506

Link506 said:

This Sounds great! I've always wanted to be a gym leader! But I wish they gave you a bit more room, so you can make a puzzle like in the real gyms.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I am so much more excited about this than a grown woman should be @__@

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Wow, there would have to be loads more available locations to build Super-Secret Bases, if not to accommodate the sheer scale of how many would exist throughout the Global Link. :o

Also, I hope that they've fixed the annoyance of Secret Bases with pits/holes. It used to take me a while to find one without any, and even longer to find one with multiple "rooms".

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

They are releasing this on a device with a touch screen and it still has old style grid placement for furniture items via the D-pad? Who dropped the ball on that one?