Video: Learn How to Pull Off the Newly Discovered Cloud Glitch in Super Mario World

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Lakitu won't be happy about this

As if we needed more evidence of the complexities that run beneath many of our favorite games, a code digger by the name of Masterjun3 has unearthed a glitch in Super Mario World that provides the player a Lakitu cloud in the game's item box.

The stunt is executable in the Yoshi's Island 2 stage with just a Yoshi, a fireball, a coin, good button reflexes, the forced appearance of a Chargin' Chuck, and timing impeccable enough not to get Mario killed or crash the game entirely. It's a tad complicated to pull off, as you might have suspected, but YouTuber A+Start lays the glitch out in full detail in the video below:

Since the glitch is repeatable within original copies of Super Mario World, it is considered a freely usable technique for speedrunners. According to A+Start, having the cloud in the final battle with Bowser skips some his animations, saving a precious lot of time, and it won't be surprising if additional tricks are discovered as runners continue exploring.

Findings such as the cloud glitch take a crazy amount of time and dedication, but the results can be amazing. Do you plan on trying to glitch a ride?

[via youtube.com, eurogamer.net]

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I've been playing through some glitchy Ocarina of Time runs just for the heck of it. These silly quirks of programming can really add longevity to these games we've played loads of times already.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Looks tricky, but I could see myself having loads of fun abusing that cloud item hehe

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I love glitchy stuff (Hence the avatar) so I might give this a shot sometime. With enough practice I might be able to pull it off, but I dunno. I probably won't ever get around to trying it in the first place. :P

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Way too complicated for me!!! Still, it's pretty cool, but I'm generally not a fan of anything that can crash a game.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

That looks really hard to pull off, but it's always cool to see faster speed runs, and the cloud is fun to use.

@mystman12
I still love that avatar, lol.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

So I assume this doesn't work on the GBA port of Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 since you can't slide the screen in that game?

Klinny

Klinny said:

I tried this on the Wii U but all I managed to do was die once and crash the game an innumerable amount of times XD

Greenalink

Greenalink said:

The GBA's L button is used for camera controls and it's based on the direction Mario is facing if I remember correctly.

Edit: It was reported a while ago that the GBA version couldn't do the Orb glitch so I doubt the Cloud glitch is going to work here.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

@Kaze_Memaryu
It's an entirely different ROM, though. It's not an emulation, like of Virtual Console. It's an enhanced (or at least altered) port.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Mr-DNA I'm well aware of that I was just pointing out that it would be theoretically possible, since all required inputs are present in the GBA version. Only the different exception handling can eliminate this glitch.