Tomonubu Itagaki Thinks Gamers Will Buy A Wii U Just For Devil’s Third

Posted by Damien McFerran

"I feel that ultimately gamers are the ones who make the future"

Devil's Third isn't your typical Nintendo-published title — it's loaded with guns, swords, gore and lady's bottoms. Given the family-friendly nature of the Wii U, you might assume that creator Tomonubu Itagaki would be a little worried that this new title will struggle to find an audience on the console, but you'd be wrong.

Speaking to Canada.com, Itagaki — who also created the Dead or Alive series and rebooted Ninja Gaiden — says he is confident that the title will attract players — and it doesn't sound like he has ports in mind, either:

I’m not concerned. Looking through my Facebook already I’ve seen a lot of comments that say, ‘I’m going to buy a Wii U just for this.’ I feel that ultimately gamers are the ones who make the future. I remember back when I took Dead Or Alive to the Xbox instead of the PlayStation – there was a certain Newsweek reporter who said, ‘Sony got steak and Xbox got hambuger.’ But what ended up happening is fans of my game came to the platform and it succeeded in the end. I wonder if looking back that reporter would still say the same thing now and if he’d be embarrassed about having written that article,.

Devil's Third was originally announced in 2010 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and was supposed to be published by the now-defunct THQ. When THQ folded, Itagaki and his company Valhalla Game Studios were forced to seek out alternatives — and Nintendo was the one which understood the game best.

Do you think Devil's Third will attract new players to the Wii U? Sound off in the comments section below.

[via o.canada.com]

NauticalCrimes

NauticalCrimes said:

This game keeps looking more and more interesting. I don't know if it's a huge system seller but I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Well...Itagaki has a lot of fans, right? I can see quite a few people buying a Wii U for Devil's Third tbh. Not sure if all of them will buy a lot of the other stuff, but if they polish the game enough and deliver something (more or less) impressive, I'm pretty sure, that the game could do really good. The only problem would be those people, who're whining about the lack of games, they won't buy anyway ;)

DangaiohDark

DangaiohDark said:

This is a buy for me. I hope also that the developer brings DLC for it. Looks very good indeed.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

If this games multiplayer lives up to what they are trying I could be playing this game for years.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I won't because I have my Wii U from day one BUT will pick up his game day one too! I wish he is right and that there is a big enough community to provide a solid online community.

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

Itagaki has fans and people are looking for other shooters to play for once.
People were already hyped for Devil's Third for a good while now, so this is a safe assumption for him to make.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Can't sees being a system seller for wii u sorry
I'll get it but then I only own a wii u

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I wasn't interested in this game much, but that multiplayer trailer looked really cool.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Classic arrogant Itagaki. Well, if you're already a fan of him, sure, but I doubt the "mainstream" even know that the game exists.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Hah, no way. This will be a nice addition to the WiiU library, but in no way a system seller.

Josaku

Josaku said:

I would get a WiiU for this game, but there is one sitting under my TV at the moment, so just the game for me ^^

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Of all Wii U exclusives this is probably the least interesting, at least based on what I saw so far it looks cheap and uninspired, silly not in a good way, also really ugly. I love me some Ninja Gaiden, or anything with Ninjas really, but it's not without qualifiers. Maybe once we see more and the reviews make it seem interesting ... but I doubt it.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

I dont know yet, this game just looks a bit messy to me for some reason. It needs some serious clean up since the 2010 trailer.

Dont think its a day one for me just yet, so at the moment instead of spending €55/€60 on it I will wait until its €30 or €20.

EDIT: I would like Ken Levine to come to Nintendo with a 'bioshock' inspired game maybe. People would by a Wii U for a game made by him! Or Suda 51, or even Resident Evil 7, but one can only wish.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

He is absolutely right. There will be people who buy a Wii U because of this game. The question becomes how many? Hopefully its in the 10s of 1000s but more then likely it will be just in the 1000s. Either way I welcome them all to the community

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

The surprise from the 'core' Nintendo fans that this is coming to Wii U is hilarious.
After Ninja Gaiden 3, Mad World, Red Steel, Bayonetta 2, No More Heroes and a host of hyper-sexualized 3DS games, this fits perfectly with Nintendo's something for everyone approach. Multiplayer trailers and 4 year old trailers aren't going to properly tell this game's story.
So I'm marking this one 'wait and see'. Though, the Man With Iron Fists (RZA, Russel Crowe and Tarantino) meets Calendar Man (Batman villain) single player trailer seemed fun.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I really don't understand how anyone would buy a games console for just one game. The whole point of a console is you can change the game and have lots of gaming experiences.

Maybe Devil's Third should be published as a Tiger LCD game instead?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If the dynamic online world described is as brilliant as it sounds: clans fighting for defined territory which they can build fortresses on rather than the usual static maps and achievements, then yes, I can see people buying a Wii U just to play this game. The question, as Gerbmwu said is how many?

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

To be honest any game can be a system seller it just depends on the gamer making the purchase. A system seller to me would be Wonderful 101 or DKCTF but unfortunately 'system seller' is bunched in with statistics on whether the majority of people purchased that system for that particular game.

This game looks very promising and the gameplay looks like a ridiculous amount of krazy fun. I cant wait to hear more about this but so far definitely on my 2015 wish list for next year

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

The online looks promising... This game is on my radar, i really hope it will be a success (but i doubt, not displaying pipelines and mushrooms, or kids dressed in green).

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Very confident guy. The multiplayer I gotta say looks fun but graphically it looks sub par.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I'll buy the game and not the console. It makes sense to not more than one console, right?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MrGawain It's not that it's just for one game. Usually they're eyeing a few games but it's that one game that puts them over the edge to say yes I finally need one.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I would be interested in this game if it dropped the shooting part and was all Melee action, the Melee looks sick but everything else is generic

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I'll buy the game, and it's not even my usual cup of tea, but from what was shown everything seems so comical, a dudebro shooter infused with some oddball humor.. I dig it.

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

Bold statements considering that the E3 demo had a lot of framerate issues

That being said, the multiplayer trailer looks interesting. This game needs a lot of polish before release

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

As it is Canada.com and not Canada.ca I doubt the source :P
No sounds like a good thing, its not really something I would normally play or touch but I'll keep my eye on it to see how it looks closer to and at launch.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I wont even pretend to know if this'll bring more gamers to WiiU.....but I do know that I like what I've seen of Devil's Third, and I'll be picking it up on release for sure.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I need to see more before I will be convinced so far it looked a bit rough but had a good amount of vision.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

No they won't. The game looks old and mediocre (I'm not saying it is, just how it LOOKS) and won't have a big marketing push so... no, it won't sell much and it certainly won't be a system seller.

Just look at The Wonderful 101 or even the amazing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'll be picking it up, I believe some people would buy a Wii U for it. There is a small percentage of Nintendo gamers that don't only fawn over 1st party games. Still not 100% convinced there enough to make good sales, but we will see if Bayo and Xenoblade X does well, if not Nintendo should pretty much stick to cudly 1st games.

Jllanos22

Jllanos22 said:

I watched both videos(campaign and multiplayer) and its a awesome game. You can even make your own maps( don't know if you can play them online). This game is along side yoshi and splatoon in my most buy list in 2015. New idea for a shooter and it looks great so far. They should release a demo for those making their mind if they going to buy it or not. By releasing games like will make some people stop seen the Wii u as a little kids console(hate when someone says that) and attract more people to buy this great console that I got no regret on buying it(yeah, no xboxone or ps4). Nintendo got the games I want so I'm going no where.

mch

mch said:

I like good games, which is why I like Nintendo. I will get it and trust that it's going to be good since Ninty will keep two eyes on it. I'm looking forward to some 'Dukem Nukem'-flavoured action, while some core/gore - or what you wanna call it - is generally very welcome!! Great addition NINTENDO!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Im still going to get this, but they should take their time to polish the game.To get peoples attention and sell well.

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

lets all hope the online aspect of this game gets supported by the people that buy the game because online games on wii u seem to be dead no matter how great they are.. look at splinter cell it is a ghost town online lol!

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'll buy it to support new Third Party WiiU titles however I don't really think this is going to bring over new converts like he says. There's a flaw in his argument, Dead Or Alive was already an established brand by the time he moved it to the XBox. This game has nothing behind it except possibly his name, if most people even recognize that. Which I doubt.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am willing to give this a chance. I feel this is Itagaki's Metal Gear Solid.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, I got this on my radar thanks to the treehouse and those unsure needs to take a look. This is the shooter nintendo needs and the Duke-nukem/genre crossing/timesplitter absurdneess that we need. Itageki better take his time with this game.

Splatoon may have some competition in the 2015 camp.

@wober2 heh you nd' me both bubby.

TTGlider

TTGlider said:

Awesome! I love his brashness. Devil's Third is a must buy for me. I hope the single player has a good and replayable campaign, though, because I don't generally get much from multiplayer.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

It's nice to see a third party confident about how its I.P. will perform on Wii U. But no, this is not a system seller for me. I'm not even sure I would buy it at full price.

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

I thought it looked meh, i only bought a wiiU for 1st and 2nd party because my PC runs all my other stuff.

I find that if anything is exclusive to a Nintendo product people on this site assume it will be gold standard. Same as Hyrule Warriors, people should not pre-order that until they read a review for Dynasty Warriors.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Based on the general reaction this game got at E3, I'd say Itagaki-san is out of his mind. But I hope he's right.

LazyShell

LazyShell said:

I do like how the game looks so far, and will end up getting it. However, I don't think it's going to move systems like Itagaki thinks it's going it's going to move systems.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

Don't like the feel of the movement....considering how masterful ninja gaiden was, it's hard to accept this is his new vision...

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I am getting this game for sure. Its a little refreshing in this day of Cat Marios and Yarn Yoshis.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Even if it sells one system, it technically makes it a system seller, no? :-) Semantics aside, by the time this game comes out it may not even need to move systems if the Wii U install base is robust enough. Polish the game, put some marketing behind it, Devil's Third could see a decent return.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

After seeing the multiplayer trailer im interested now. When I first saw this game at e3 the main character kinda turned me away from it...idk I think it might just be me and I also felt like the gameplay looked a little clunky but it looks like they are putting a lot of work into this game so I will definitely keep and eye on this game

Iggly

Iggly said:

Gamers could buy a Wii U just for Devil's Third, BUT they'll need to market their game well before that can even happen. I'd love to support them, but alas my mom doesn't allow me to buy Mature Games.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I wish I shared his optimism, but the Wii U exclusivity got me interested in the game. Its a definite buy unless it turns out badly.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I can no longer buy a Wii U just for this game, since I have one eversince launch. I DID however buy one for Nintendo first party games, and special third party exclusives like this (like Madworld, Fragile Dreams, A Shadow's Tale/Lost in Shadows, No More Heroes, Redsteel 2, Deadly Creatures, Muramasa, HOTD Overkill... were to the Wii, at least when they were first released). That's classic modern gaming to me. The very core of it.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Sure I think so. I seen and know people who buy a system because of one game. This can be one of the few 3rd (2nd?) party game on the Wii U that can drive system sales. I just hope it doesn't end up like The Wonderful 101, that should of been a system seller IMO.

I just love the confidents the team show for their game. Most 3rd party developer and publishers worry and complain about current install base instead of creating one and increasing it because of their game now a days. This is a breath of fresh air.

Ark

Ark said:

@NintendoLife, @Damo
Tomonobu Itagaki was typed incorrectly as "Tomonubu Itagaki" three times in this article (headline, main story, and tag). Minor errors are always inevitable, but I believe this industry figure warrants a correction (particularly in the case of the tag since there is an existing one with the correct spelling).

nik1470

nik1470 said:

As young teens my and my friends used to play mortal kombat on our SNES's adults we'll play this game. The whole Nintendo gamers don't play mature games is a myth. I think this game will sell well to the existing user base and the fact Nintendo are publishing it means quailty should be assured. Will it be enough to attract new wiiu owners? i don't know but its getting jealous looks from no Nintendo gamers.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

It's funny how you always describe this game despite Bayonetta 1+2 releasing soon too.Plus Wii U is completely open to all kinds of games it's not too "family friendly"

ProudasaPeacock

ProudasaPeacock said:

This trailer certainly looks better than the last ones I saw, though it's not really my type of game. I'm not sure there'd be that many people buying Wii U's just for Devil's Third, but it could probably entice a few to the system.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

This looks like an alternative to the COD series. Will I buy it? Yes as soon as I see it listed on Game i'll be pre-ordering it. Will it sell more WiiU systems, well this all comes down to the advertising and pre-release hype and exposer behind the game. If this is promoted like watchdog was prior to its release and shouted out loud that its a WiiU exclusive (as some people I have mentioned this to still believe its coming to Xbox), then maybe this will attract a few more console sales.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

I am sure there are people that buy a system for one game. There are likely a lot more that see a system with X games they may like to play, and that one favorite series or genre is what finally pushes them to make the purchase. I am like that for ps4: one the new batman comes out, I will get one to play batman, as well as other games id like to play.

That said, this game doesn't interest me but if it brings more over to the wii u as that finally tipping point game, so be it

wober2

wober2 said:

I really just wish the wiiu and really all the consoles fit in a comfortable selling point where so many articles are not dedicated to "saving" a console. I am so sick of the console wars, and want more thoughtful analysis of the games, but not about sales numbers either.

Is anyone else sick of constant talk about business aspects of gaming?

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

For the first time in my life the multiplayer sounds better to me than the single player. The 'clans' vying for territory and using propaganda to get them on your side is awesome!!!

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

@wober2 I see where you're going with that. We're not talking about the actual 'business of games and making them' but that all we're hearing is 'sales this and sales that'? There I have to agree... I'm tired of talking about that 'financial state of the Wii U', I'd really just like an article to talk about "Wii U game ______ was really _______".

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Honestly I have a feeling this game is gonna flop, but it may help sell some systems if marketed correctly.

wober2

wober2 said:

@jakysnakydx Maybe it is partly because the US is still in an economic slump and unemployment is still high, I feel that talking about the economy and business enters almost every conversation. I think as a whole we are obsessed with companies being successful or not, when in the past we did not care about the inner-workings of large companies.

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

I hope we get a release date soon. Glad there's optimism but still wish I could see less "Man, this sure could look AND run better" comments about the game.

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

This and Splatoon will give me a lot of fun online mayhem to look forward to.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

"I feel that ultimately gamers are the ones who make the future"

This guy gets it... :)

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@Emblem Well their is hype for the game, and it is a sequel i guess to Xenoblade chronicles. And that game did very well cause it was the last great wii game before its life was taken, sad that you can't find the game anymore.

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

This game has "flop" written all over it. It's not going ANYWHERE AT ALL.

Xenoblade, however, has potential. Nintendo should be pushing hard for Xenoblade when it nears its release date.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

Not even. It looks like the same overdramatic, uncreative garbage I see everyday. I bought a Wii U to play something other than shooters thank you.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@midnafanboy GameStop have them for $50. I hate to support their business, rather than a smaller one, but I wasnt about to buy a disc only copy on amazon for $70+. Especially when I traded in a couple games toward the purchase.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Sorry Itagaki, but I already have a Wii U but I'm definitely getting Devil's Third upon launch!

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

I might get this. This is quite unlike my usual type of game but heck, I like new things. I'll wait for the reviews.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

I hope this is coming out next year. The E3 demo looked remarkably unpolished. Needs a serious spit shine before it comes to market. Got my eye on it though.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I might get this game in the near future but for this year I'm looking forward to getting Bayonetta 2 first.

theberrage

theberrage said:

There is one type of buyer for this game(initially, not counting bargain bin purchases); people that only have Nintendo systems . Owners of ps3, xbox360, and their successors find these type of games as dime a dozen on those consoles.

element187

element187 said:

@Emblem the "cuddly" games allows Nintendo experiment and release a wide range of games.... Nintendo releases niche games out of a labor of love not because they think it's going to sell gangbusters.

Nintendo was only expecting a fraction of sales from FE Awakening then what it actually accomplished. They were expecting just about breaking even. If it was solely about profits they wouldn't have even bothered with it.

The way I see it Nintendo loves to release niche games and others games outside of their comfort zone just to provide a wide variety of experiences instead of letting the platform get pigeon holed as a single genre system.... For instance PS4/xBone are going to be pigeon holed as a shooter/dudebro box. 50%+ of the games showed at e3 from these two systems were 1st person shooters, that numbers goes up when you add 3rd person shooters to that list.

reali-tglitch

reali-tglitch said:

@Jllanos22 Considering the clan system they discussed being as in-depth as it is, the map-creation is the creation of your clan's base. You can create higher-defense buildings, etc., similar to Clash of Clans. Everything else looks great (in terms of gameplay), with elements of Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Mass Effect (the whole buffs, etc. from different armors), and various other games.

I can't wait.

theBluntKnight

theBluntKnight said:

I'll definitely read the reviews as soon as possible and decide if it's got enough to interest me. This is not the typical sort of game that I seek out so I will take a wait and see approach, even though the trailer looks cool.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I SERIOUSLY doubt people will buy Wii U just for Devils Third. Actually this games doesnt look any good so i dnt think people who already have a Wii U will buy this game. But its nice to think he thinks his game is worth a console buy i guess!

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

@wober2 Yeah, until Enron. Lol but when PS4 exclusive "X" and Microsoft exclusive "Y" tanks, i.e. most of the games in that last 3 years the media doesn't discuss MIcrosoft or Sony's financial position. There are a thousand reasons for that but I just wanted to point out that I'm sick of Nintendo being a scape goat here when in regards to raw standing they are the most financially secure in the video game division. Microsoft nearly sold the Xbox brand http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-ceo-candidate-may-consider-selling-xbox-killing-bing-report/1100-6416052/ and sony has been in bad shape for years http://www.vuru.co/analysis/SNE/financialStrength
It's just really annoying.