These Lucky Kids Got McDonald's Happy Meal Mario Kart Toys Direct From The Brothers Themselves

Posted by Damien McFerran

Envy is a terrible thing

McDonald's has a long tradition of hawking lumps of Nintendo-themed plastic with its Happy Meal range — we still have fond memories of the Super Mario Bros. 3 toys which launched more than twenty years ago. Similar playthings were recently given away in the UK, and in South Korea, they're quite happy to queue around the block in order to get their hands on such trinkets.

North American burger lovers are the latest lucky recipients, with a series of Mario Kart 8 toys hitting stores right now. To celebrate this occasion, Nintendo of America has released a series of photos showing the first kids to receive their Happy Meal / toy combo, and to make us even more jealous, they got them from the Mario Brothers themselves whilst riding in some seriously cool karts. The toys made their début on July 4th and will be available — while supplies last, of course — until July 31st.

Feast your eyes over the official photos below and before you ask, no, we don't think it's possible that a grown adult could squeeze into one of those karts.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I freak out if people touch my Wii U (or any electronics) without washing their hands first.
Seeing a bunch of little kids eat fast food then touch wiimotes gives me an unsettling feeling in my tummy.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Pssh those kids mightve got to get in karts and play wii u at mcdonalds, but i have the whole set of toys. Ha!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@MixMasterMudkip I think either MacDonalds or Nintendo can afford to get them professionally cleaned so they look like new after they are done with them for the next promotion.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Sorry, but Luigi not having his death stare is a big, big fail.

I'm sorry, McDonalds, I hold you in high regard as one of the better fastfood chains here, since you actually put things I like in Happy Meals, but you dropped a big opportunity,

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

You can just buy the toys instead of paying for the happy meal. Just letting people know that option. I hardly eat fast food anymore but I am tempted to go and just buy the toy by itself.

Ferkner

Ferkner said:

The toys are really disappointing. I was hoping they would be like the awesome pullback cars they had for the Muppet Babies and McDonaldland toys way back when. Instead these are crap plastic toys with wheels that sort of roll?

Action51

Action51 said:

First of all, if Luigi is getting fat it's from lasagna, pizza, fettuccine alfredo, and cannoles!

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Luigi Thought Bubble: What-a the hell? Why are-a none of these kids-a wearing MY hat or a-driving MY-a cart?

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

All these news of Nintendo events for children... and I haven't even seen nor heard one in my life... I bet that most of those will grow up with the iPad 26, anyway...