Tekken 7 Revealed At Evo 2014, Platforms Unconfirmed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Powered by Unreal Engine 4

In the past couple of years Nintendo has forged a particularly strong working relationship with Bandai Namco — the latter is heavily involved in the primary development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, while also contributing to Mario Kart 8. Unsurprisingly Bandai Namco's also shown support for Nintendo's systems with various games, albeit with some exceptions including examples such as Naruto home console entries.

It's with interest, then, that we see the news of Tekken 7 being revealed during Evo 2014. While it's tempting to immediately highlight the history of the franchise on home consoles and dismiss this as another title destined to skip Wii U, we should remember that the series does have some recent entries on Nintendo hardware. Tekken 3D Prime Edition was partly based on Tekken 6, while the Wii U had a special version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 at launch.

This latest entry is also using Unreal Engine 4, with Tekken series executive producer and game director Katsuhiro Harada saying the following.

With Unreal Engine 4, we could rapidly achieve visual quality expected on next-gen platform and go beyond it.

The reasonable assumption right now is that this will come to PS4 and Xbox One, but it should also be noted that Unreal Engine 4 has been designed to be scalable across systems, including Wii U, in addition to systems such as PS3 and Xbox 360.

Will Nintendo's strong relationship with Bandai Namco, and the use of an established and scalable engine for development, enable Tekken 7 to come to Wii U? We hope so, and more details are expected at Comic-Con on 25th July.

[via eurogamer.net]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh wow, I didn't expect Nintendolife to report on this.
I'm sorry guys, but I think it's 100% safe to say this isn't coming to Wii U.

That said I. AM. HYPED!! I love Tekken and I was itching for a new entry! I think this is going to be the final in the main series? This is going to be very bitter sweet. Tekken is my favorite fighting franchise.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 sold really badly on Wii U so don't expect anything guys.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Confirmed for Vita, Dreamcast, and Virtual Boy. No Wii U version.

But yeah, both the 3DS and Wii U Tekken games sold like crap.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Never would get why Namco Bandai would exclude all support for Wii U when they have a great partnership in Nintendo's own games.Their games could still sell just need to be done right.Hope Nintendo signs a contract to allow developers to use Unreal 4 dev kits like they did with Unity

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

We didn't get Street Fighter which actually has history on Nintendo consoles, we surely won't get Tekken on the U. Besides, who would buy it?

Morph

Morph said:

come on, we all know this isn't coming to wii u, nothing to see here

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

And yet with the Project Cars delay I don't really care about this or anything from them for a while!

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I doubt this is coming to Wii U because they wouldn't even port Soul Calibur 2 HD Online which is a port of an old mulitplatform game that sold best on a struggling Nintendo console. Not to mention the fact they will want Smash Bros. to monopolise the fighter market on Wii U before they release any other fighters on it.

Everyone on this site was lauding over Sonic Racing selling 250,000 units on Wii U but Tekken Tag 2, a late port, selling 130,000 units to an empty userbase is suddenly terrible? It only sold 300,000 copies to all of the 80,000,000 Xbox360 owners. I've never struggled to get a game going online on my Wii U version but the additional features are amazing and Namco are probably a bit miffed by the fact it didn't sell better..

KingCreezy

KingCreezy said:

"Not only is Unreal Engine 4 powerful and easy to use, but it allows us to immediately bring Tekken 7 to any platform we desire."
Even though I have no hope for this coming to the Wii U, statements like this drive me insane. If they don't want to bring it to the Wii U then fine, but why go out and say something like that. This is all assuming there are no plans for it to come of course. Im probably reading too much into it though.

SCAR392 said:

Why is everyone saying it on't come to Wii U? They haven't even said anything. That's what's wrong with the gaming community; assuming, trolling, and not even having a sufficient amount of info on various topics.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@SCAR392 I think Nintendo fans are trying to convince themselves this game is not coming. So when it does not come, they don't feel disappointed, if it comes, they'll be like WOW! BEST THING EVAH. Sad really :(

SCAR392 said:

@Hy8ogen - That's probably true. Look at Jazzer94's comment, for example, though. He says "poor" sales of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a reason why a Wii U version isn't coming,
TTT2 sales(VGchartz):
Wii U - .13
Xbox 360 - .30
PS3 - .71

...and we all know which platforms have around 80 million consoles in homes...

Saying Wii U wouldn't get the new game, based on sales, is just being ignorant. Fact. They just said they could put it on any platform they want, so good luck to anyone who says Wii U won't be able to run the game; like an idiot.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@SCAR392

Saying Wii U wouldn't get the new game, based on sales, is just being ignorant.

How so? Nearly every developer that doesn't release titles on Nintendo cites the reason as 'low sales'.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I hope t does come to the Wii U, yadda yadda, probably won't, yadda yadda.

Bottom line: never been a Tekken fan, so this is not a game that would affect me on a personal level.

@Beetlejuice
Did you not read my whole post or something? The Wii U version sold like half of the Xbox 360 version, and 1/7th of the PS3 sales, despite having 10's of millions of less consles to sell on. That is not selling poorly.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@SCAR392

Well if they feel it will be profitable, they will release it on the Wii-U. If they feel the money they will make will be less than they put into it, they won't release it.

Only time will tell.

KingCreezy

KingCreezy said:

@SCAR392 I think people stating opinions as fact is what's wrong with the gaming community.
Plus I think most of these comments are being said jokingly as we all know the 3rd party situation for the Wii U.

@Beetlejuice
That's fair enough. I was just trying to point out that alot of the reasons that people think Wii U isn't getting games, aren't really legitimate.

@KingCreezy
Yes. Like saying Mario is "milked", and that's why Nintendo sucks, but then AC and CoD still exist. People just don't even realize what they are saying, alot of the time. They aren't joking, though, because otherwise the discussion would end as soon as legitmate information is brought up.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

This will go up against Super Smash Bros. Well, that's a lost fight for Tekken. So this will be skipping the Wii U. Nevertheless, I'm getting it for the PS4 :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am more interested in what the Arcade board is going to be. Standard PC or something based on the PS4.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

The growing trend seems to be skipping the WiiU all together but, support 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4. I'll be rocking this on PS4, but it would be cool for the WiiU to get some love. Hopefully, if it does come out, it releases no where near Smash. Or it'll get smashed.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Ryno You haven't got it? Shame on you. TTT2 plays beautifully on the Wii U. Oh, I accepted your friend request :)

Morph

Morph said:

Are there any unreal engine 4 games on wii u? Or even any known to be in development?

@midnafan
How am I defending anything? You're saying it won't sell on Wii U, when there is actaully information that says otherwise.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

PC/PS4/Xbone. Even if it did come to Wii U it would be a huge downgrade graphically. I guess the PS4 will finally have a 2nd game to buy it for.

That said, Tekken Tag 2 on Wii U is amazing. But its Miiverse community is cancer.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

Bandai Namco right also shown support for Nintendo's systems something is not right here

@midnafanboy
Look at my #21 post. The Wii U version of the last Tekken game actually sold well/decent next to the PS3 and Xbox 360 version.

edhe

edhe said:

I've bought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the WiiU within the last month (and at a severe discount), and to be honest, it's all the Tekken I'll need for years to come.

Isn't it regarded as a pretty comprehensive version? I haven't been following Tekken over the years, but there's loads of characters, unlockables and replay value.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@SCAR392 You're right about the sales,but do you actually think they would take the chance to release this game.Where this port might be great who knows it might.But then it sells terrible.All im saying that i don't think the developers would take the chance with the wiiu.With the wiiu's track record with other third party games, that sold poorly too. Like assassins creed 3 and 4 sold so terribly that we aren't getting the next one.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I can't wait for the inevitable "Not coming to Nintendo Platforms" article about this game comes out. I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

@midnafanboy
Those games sold fine, too. Basically anything that sold over 50,000 copies was considered good enough. They didn't sell as much as they did on Xbox 360 and PS3(most of the games), but they still sold well, considering it was a straight port and the install base that Wii U has/had.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@SCAR392 130,000 total sales was poor that is a fact, obviously we don't know if the Wii U can harbor a proper fighting community besides Smash but at this point going off Injustice and Tekken sales on the console it can't maybe Smash will make a difference who knows (also I'm not arguing whether this can run on Wii U so lets not even go down that path).

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@SCAR392 If those sales were so good, then why has every third party support left, and that we aren't getting the new assassins creed game?To them those sale aren't good enough.So no they are not going to take that chance with the wiiu.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Ryno Definitely get it easily one of the finest Wii U ports and a great fighting game that is a nice improvement over Tekken 6 which was meh.

@Jazzer94
Money wise, 130,000 is not poor. THAT is fact. Did you not just read that any ported 3rd party game that sold over 50,000 is OK? Sonic sold like 300,000 copies on Wii U, which was a major success for Sega. Assassin's Creed 3 sold like 260,000 copies, and these are only counting physical sales. Wii U is selling a reasonable amount of copies in comparison to 7th gen systems, which is making them money.

@Midnafanboy
The reasoning is that 8th gen games would cost FAR more to bring onto Wii U, so they have to plan their finances accordingly. They could bring this game to Wii U, but it's a matter of how much it would cost to port an 8th gen version. So far, developers have only ported 7th gen versions of games, which are less demanding.

This is the reason why Project Cars and Watch Dogs got delayed. Ubisoft holding back that one game is just to maximize profit. They'll sell more on Wii U, if it has 8 million owners, than if there is 6 million, and they have the luxary of releasing a game whenever they think people will buy anything.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@SCAR392 And how did you come to the conclusion that 50,000 sales will cover any games porting costs for Wii U.

Also if Sonic Lost Worlds for Wii U sales were so great why did Sega hide them behind 3DS numbers.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@SCAR392 Wait do you actually think watch dogs for the wiiu will sell?You got to be kidding me is going to sell like crap,one reason cause it got delayed.They maximize profit for the other versions not the wiiu's.And project cars selling well?Nope people are pissed that game got delayed if you don't believe me look at the comments at their website.The reason project cars is not going to sell well because the consumers are mad,and they will not buy that version just to spite the developers decision.Now for watch dogs that game is not going to sell because people already bought the other versions.Now one last thing that game ubisoft is waiting to release is just some crappy party game.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Most entertaining comment thread ever, smart people fighting are my favorite fights >:3

@Jazzer94
The estimate is omewhere around there. I've explained this to you, multiple times. It cost $1.2 million at launch, and ports have becmoe even cheaper since then. Selling 50,000 would cover that cost.

I'm not even talking about exclusive games. Even if Sonic LOst World sold poorly, Sega didn't lose anything from that; Nintendo did, because they are the ones who paid for those games. The exclusive games are in an entirely different subject, because 3rd parties got a free ride from Nintendo, which would reflect how well exclusives can sell, and was mainly existent for them to sell Wii U consoles.

@midnafanboy
I'm not saying Watch Dogs or Project Cars will sell well. I'm saying that most of the games that have been released actually made these companies money. We don't know how well Watch Dogs or Project Cars will do, until they actaully come out. That's why we need to wait and see, instead of assuming. No one can predict the future.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@SCAR392 Those companies not the wiiu, games that were suppose to come out the same day as the other version and then delayed.Those types of game will end up selling terrible cause people are mad or they bought the other versions.

@midnafanboy
I understand the reasoning, but that dioesn't mean it will actually happen. Just wait and see how they sell, then we'll discuss it.

@midnafanboy
Well, there will probably be discusion about it, besides this article. Once we see how it sells, there will probably be a thread, and we'll discuss it there. If there isn't a thread, I'll start one, whether it is good OR bad news.

Blast

Blast said:

We (Nintendo) put freaking Pac-man in Smash and there's a high chance Tekken 7 won't even come to Wii U.... what a insult.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@SCAR392 Where is the proof I've learnt over time is that you make up a lot of stuff frequently, not every game development budget is the same so you can't generalize about the cost like you are.

Emblem

Emblem said:

We got the definitive version of the best Tekken in the last decade so people should be happy. I love my Wii U but i'll be picking up Tekken 7 on my PS4 for certain, i can't think of anything the Wii U could offer to sway my decision.

SCAR392 said:

@Jazzer94 - That's the funny thing, though, because I don't make up stuff, but you think I do. Also, I said ESTIMATE. I understand not every game costs the same, but generally speaking, all those 7th gen ports were successful once they passed the 50,000 mark, so now figure how well a game did, that sold 150,000.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Blast It's not even confirmed yet....everyone here is just speculating based entirely on their emotion and rationale. So my hopes are still up.

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

The Wii U situation is getting better now, the chances of the Wii U getting most titles is only going up.

Namco has been a great partner for Nintendo and I'll still have a little bit of hope that Tekken 7 could come to Wii U based on Harada's statement.

SCAR392 said:

@Jazzer94 - I can't post a link right now, so search "Wii U ports cost $1.3 million for Ubisoft", or something similar. The rest of the math figured was how much they spend to make discs, development of the Xbox 360 version in relation to Wii U, etc. The only ports that did poorly, were NBA 2K13, Deus Ex, NFS:MW and Splintercell. Everything else made 3rd parties money.

EDIT: Factor in that people don't want to buy gimped games, and they didn't do half bad.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@Ryno You definitely need to get on that, bro! Tekken Tag 2 is the best Tekken in a while and Wii U is the definitive version with all the extras. It's really fun and fast fighting series!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@SCAR392 That refers to Ubisoft only not every developer and we have no clue whether it got more or less expensive as it depends on the game so again you generalize in your comments to much pretty much twisting things to suit what you want to believe.

@Hy8ogen It's good to have hope maybe this will be that game that has a Wii U version given Namco and Nintendo's relationship.

SCAR392 said:

@Jazzer94 - No. Most of the work to port games was done the first time around. For example, CoD Ghosts was easier to port than CoD Black Ops II, because they had already ported before. The same goes for Assassin's Creed 4. They ported Assassin's Creed 3, so they had enough knowledge to port AC4 in a faster and more efficient manner, which equals less money being spent in the process. It's just like how 3DS will get cheaper, because the resources and such start to pay for themselves.

Also, I'm not over generalizing. 50,000 copies sold is actaully a safe estimate, which is why I used it in the first place.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I thought they said that Unreal 4 COULD scale to the WiiU but that they aren't putting in the work to actually do it.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I hope it comes to Wii U for Nintendo fans to play it. I wasn't sure the Wii U could run Unreal Engine 4, let alone the PS3/360. Then again I heard it was up-scalable.

Anyway, every Tekken game I've played was on a PlayStation. So that's what I'm getting Tekken 7 on. However, I do have TTT2 for the Wii U as well. Love the exclusive modes on it.

Donutman

Donutman said:

I love when people say " given the situation wii u is in"... Well, it's in 2nd place right now and there are more in the world then x1s. So that's is not an argument when deciding if a game should be in wii u. Fact is devs know they can't compete against a game like smash bros. if Nintendo had tekken, then why would other consoles exist?

Henmii

Henmii said:

Well, chances are pretty slim that this comes to Wii u. These articles don't make any sense. Only make such articles when it may be likely that such a game will arrive, wich isn't the case 99,9% of the time!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't remember the last time I play a skillful competitive fighting game, all the moves nowadays are done differently and the fight engine had being simplify that even a toddle could perform a super. Give me an in-dept competitive fighting game again and maybe I'll buy into this Tekken 7. The only things these new fighting games show is to look pretty and that to me is just lame, I would prefer skillful competitive and in-dept fighting than a game of eye candies.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Namco didn't even put Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on Wii U, despite BOTH games in the collection being Nintendo exclusives.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I'm still enjoying Tekken Tag 2 Wii U edition :) Got it for 15 euros during that sale a few weeks ago. (totally worth it!)

siavm

siavm said:

This is using the unreal 4. Of course it is not coming to wii u. Even if it was not using the engine it was not coming to wii u. Unless they say wii u up front it is not coming to wii u.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Funny, Mario Kart 8 showed that you can make money on the WiiU, at the E3, nintendo showed that they havent forgotten "how to nintendo" and even convinced that the mainstream press that they have won the event due to their much closer relationship towards their fanbase and yet, here we are again, convincing ourself that this game wont see the light of day on the WiiU.

Im a person who always said, that "next gen" (for a lack of a better word) titles made for the more powerful "next gen" consoles will hardly be ported over to the WiiU and frankly, most of the time, its better this way. We had enough watered down ports on the Wii back in the day,
But it is clearly stated, that the engine used in this case IS capable of running the game on pretty much every platform, so its not a technical issue.

Food for thought: Maybe its not the actual sales numbers that give developers / publishers the idea, that a game wont sell well. Maybe its comments like ours, talking the system out of the picture preamptively, that brings them to such conclusions.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

@Caryslan
High Five! I thought there were no more VF players anymore.

While I'm not a Tekken fan fighting games are an instabuy for me. So...please come to wiiu, please come to wiiu, please come to wiiu!

Contrite

Contrite said:

@gage_wolf I would buy it in a heartbeat.

One of the only things that makes me consider buying a PS4 down the line is the fact that fighters like Mortal Kombat and Tekken most likely will skip the Wii U.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I like Tekken but the series has been hit and miss the last couple gens, so kind of hard to get too hyped, especially since the trailer isn't that great. Platforms, an estimated release and a better trailer, and I'll start looking more forward to this one.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was great. I really liked the added Wii U features, so I hope they bring this to Wii U as well. Tekken 6 was pretty meh, but TTT2 more than made up for it...so hopefully 7 will follow suit.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

We got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and the 3DS got Tekken 3D Prime Edition, but I won't hold my breath for Tekken 7.

Then again, Bandai Namco's been treating Wii U owners quite nice lately. Maybe we'll get one?

Cromulence

Cromulence said:

@vamkar Ohhhh boy. Where to start with this.

Tekken Tag is not a numbered entry into the series, the original and this one comes fully unlocked, without story modes because it's a straight up arcade port and is meant to be played with friends.

Character customization is what it is and was really simple to do, I don't know what kind of issues you could've had with that.. but alright. Not really anything that affects the game all the much, but I'd take what they have in that over the half-assed reskin-a-fighter that I've seen in most other games. It's not really a staple of the industry so that's hardly a knock against it.

And controls in general? Full customization, tutorials and button layouts .The game couldn't have held your hand more.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

I want this on Wii U! Especially since Namco is collaborating with Nintendo on so many fronts, I think they shouldn't give the Nintendo console a miss.