Site News: Look, We'll Provide File Sizes For Download Games, So Please Stop Asking

Posted by Damien McFerran

Ask and you shall (eventually) receive

We like to think that we're receptive to the wants and needs of our readership here at Nintendo Life, but one thing we've neglected to do in the past few years is heed the demands for file size data to be included on game pages.

Moving forward you will find that the game information page will now include the file size for the North American and European editions of each download title (download sizes are often different for each region due to the need to include more languages in Europe), where applicable.

We'll do our best to backfill the data on existing titles, but our primary focus moving forward is to ensure the information is present on all new eShop releases. The first title to benefit is Siesta Fiesta.

So please, stop sending us emails, demanding letters and bags of dog mess in the mail — we're on it.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

I kinda hope every single article from now on will be written in the same passive-aggressive tone.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

In fairness, I really think this is something Nintendo ought to be doing but thanks to Nintendolife for picking up the ball they dropped.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

We were getting asked a lot, it was either this or flipping over a table Miyamoto-style every time a new request came through.

King47

King47 said:

So new we can move on and start asking you for the next thing?
Kidding, kidding. You guys do a good job. Though that only matters for games you guys have that are not out yet.

JSaario

JSaario said:

If there's one thing that drives me insane its how incredibly emotional and personal this site always is, its a news site I want news not emotional opinions and pointless fluff.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Nintendo should be displaying file sizes on the eShop anyway--not hiding them from us unless we have the funds to purchase the game right then and there.

Can you imagine the look on a Club Nintendo-goer's face after so innocently picking Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D as their platinum reward?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Not good enough! I demand that Damo comes to my house and downloads the game i choose for me, while Thomas makes me a cheese & tomato toastie

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Uhm..aren't the download sizes shown on the eShop anyway?
You just need to scroll down on each game's site to see them
ahh...okay, I checked and for some stupid reason, that's only for the "big games"

Tops

Tops said:

LOL Why does the title make you guys sound peeved? This should be treated as good news not an inconvenient request begrudgingly carried out. That's no way to respond to your loyal fans :P

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

I appreciate it, and it actually helps make Nintendo Life more valuable. Good work, guys.

Viagro

Viagro said:

@Tops Exactly! It's a great thing that the website has responded to the requests. Nothing at all here to be negative about.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Huzzah! I'd been hoping that this would be implemented for a while. But, for the record, I never actively asked or begged for it.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

@JSaario WELCOME TO NINTENDOLIFE. IN TODAY'S INFORMATION NEW CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN REVEALED FOR THE WII U PROGRAM KNOWN AS HYRULE WARRIORS. OUR OBJECTIVE ALGORITHM INDICATES THIS SHOULD MAKE ~40% OF OUR READERSHIP INCREASE THE EMOTION REFERRED TO BY THOSE WHO CAN EXPERIENCE IT [NOT US] AS "EXCITEMENT" BY A FACTOR OF AT LEAST 1.002.

We're just joking around a bit with the emotions, here. ; )

...I mean, at least I think we are. I haven't received news of any actual table-flipping over at HQ yet.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

People tend to want to do something more when you tell them not to do something. Expect to get even more emails and comments on this subject.

Than64

Than64 said:

I noticed that the file size on the Wii U eShop shows up a couple seconds after the game page loads. It's very helpful as its right there with the number of players, genre, etc. No scrolling necessary, just a moment of patience.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

I've always wondered why Nintendo provides file sizes in 'blocks'. Why not in MB? or in fractions of Zettabytes?

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Any chance you guys can do a Dedicated File Size Page, and just keep updating that one?
It would be less work.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I want those file sizes to the third decimal place, or else. U___U

Seriously though, thanks a bunch Nintendo Life. :D

Dweezicus

Dweezicus said:

@Phantom_R yeah dude, that was me last week. Luckily, I've only downloaded virtual console games to my SD card so DK just barely fit. Time to go buy a 64gb card!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Lol, I only made a topic on this well over a year ago. Shoot I think James was still here then!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I need to know the file size of this news article ASAP!

GO NOW! GET EVERY JOURNALIST ON IT! WHY DON'T I KNOW YET?!

Seriously, do people really care that much? Buy a 32 gig SD card for your 3DS, buy a terabite external hard drive for your Wii U and it won't matter.

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

Oh sweet! Thanks ya'll! Wait..someone was sending you mean emails about it? Thats not cool. Sorry ya'll had to deal with that mess.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

A bit unnecessary for the Wii U eShop as it provides the amount of MB/GB each piece of software requires in two areas on the game's page, but Nintendo definitely needs to show how much space a title requires to download on the 3DS eShop.
Maybe even post it on its official website too. More accessability.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'm surprised this is just happening now. It's extremely useful information. Thank you!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Wonderful news! Thank you very much, guys and gals at NL!

People, now send all those doggy bags to Nintendo if you want your Majora's Mask 3D, New Metroid, New FZero or whatever delusional whim tickles your fancy.

Noonch

Noonch said:

The McFerranator has spoken! Seriously though, this info is available in eshop. Must Nintendolife do EVERYTHING?!?

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@sinalefa I'm not a fancy person, I just want those same basic functions, that any other system on the market offers. Right now, you'd have to look to Origin, for even less features and even more annoyance than offered by the NN(ID). Nobody can be happy with that ...

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

I was hoping from the way the title was worded, this was you copying a response from Nintendo themselves. Why are you doing it but Nintendo isn't?

2Sang

2Sang said:

Good idea for the site. I don't usually worry about size, but some games like DKCR 3D just take way too long for me to bother.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

The only reason i clicked on this article,cause of the picture of that adorable dog. And no were not going to be satisfied with this, we want you guys to buy the games then send it us.Then we will be happy maybe.

outburst

outburst said:

Ahahahaha. I once asked that it should be included in the pushmo world Wii U review. I'm glad it will now be included. I assure you I am not one of those who sent a bag of dogsht. :D we don't have a dog. :D

outburst

outburst said:

@ThomasBW84
Is it implemented yet? I just checked Siesta Fiesta's game page but I couldn't find the file size. (I'm on mobile browser)

Porky

Porky said:

Will the information be present on mobile devices? The information at the side of the screen on review pages ( and home page..) when using my laptop is not present on my smartphone.

Nuttertkk

Nuttertkk said:

Thanks, it really helps when you're have to work out what demos you need to remove. During when I was buying Wiiware, it really would help, but the run from SD card update came out before I hit the 500 Meg limit.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I must say I'm surprised there aren't another 100 requests for it here - being told firmly like that not to do something (even tongue in cheek) is usually a surefire way to get people to do the exact opposite. I think people are too happy to be sillier than thou. I'm not.
Please can you add file sizes to reviews? Thanks in advance.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

But, will this include updates as well as dlc? Or just the initial download?

Also, I have 64GB SDXC in my 3DS so it really doesn't matter to me.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ZachBeacon

As far as I know, the eShop will let you know the size and the price in the purchase page, and it won't let you buy it if you don't have the necessary space or funds.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Great news. The faster I know the file size for smash 3DS the faster I can decide on a digital or physical purchase.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - I still miss James. That guy was always commenting and replying to comments and his responses always seemed joyful. Maybe he was a horrible curmudgeon in real life, never met him, but I honestly feel like the overall happiness level at NL has been down since he left. Though he was smart enough to leave just before Wii U launched so who knows.

Thanks Damo and everyone at NL for the DL size info. Nintendo really doesn't seem to like info of any kind getting out there, though the eShop is still significantly improved on Wii U over Wii.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

I wish you'd add decimals to your scores - a lot a lot of games get 8, and will even if they perhaps deserve 8.4. This would help distinguish between comparable games, and would contribute to a higher metascore, which might equal higher sales. Does anyone know anything about the site's policy here?

BarryDunne

BarryDunne said:

Guys and girls, it is not fair on the NL team that they should be the ones to find every DL size for every game that you ask for. They do a great job and can only do so much at a time. Please have patience and please look for it yourself, do the research and let people know. You don't always have to depend on the NL team for your every need! :)

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

@Tops I agree with you. I actually asked for the file size on siesta fiesta earlier today. Now I feel like I burdened my beloved Nintendo Life crew.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

@outburst if your page displays like mine, the games overview section is not viewable on the review page. Hey Damo, can you guys get on that while you are at it?

ekreig

ekreig said:

NLife, you have a lot of nerve trying to overwhelm me with all this awful new data! I go to this site for Nintendo news, NOT math homework. Change it back RIGHT NOW

just kidding this is really helpful keep doing awesome stuff

AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex said:

Thanks, Nintendo Life!

I've been curious about how much space Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D took up, so I guess I'll be able to know now. Apparently it was the first game to use a 4 gigabyte 3DS game cartridge, from what I heard.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I knew the dog messes would work eventually, just gotta rev that up enough, and anything can happen! >:3

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

I use an adapted SD card reader wired to a 1TB external SSD, with software running on it to make the 3DS think it's a smaller size.
;)

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

I've been having a rather blah icky sort of day; this headline cheered me right up. Not due to the news but the wondrous snarkiness in tone.

Thanks, guys. :-)

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

Now you get to deal with the people who think having the filesize listed means the file can be downloaded from your site =D

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

@JSaario That's one of the things I personally really like about this site. I find regular news to be boring, and like the humor splashed into the articles here. It adds character to the reports. That's why I prefer this site over the other Nintendo news sites, and why I made an account in the first place.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Compatible controllers and mapping would be nice info to include, too...

I guess less necessary now since Wii U offers VC button mapping but the old VC reviews never stated whether it had it or not. Meaning some games were almost unplayable...

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Really hoping Nintendo would start using megabytes instead of blocks on 3DS. It's quite confusing to have the real sizes on Wii U and then still keep going old school on 3DS.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Damo Well not all of us have to download every game to review them. I have 30+ games between VC and eshop, and I'm fine. Though I will say if the game has a retail option, I still buy physical.

SmithJurd

SmithJurd said:

@JSaario personally I'm a big fan of NL's style... I very rarely (read, never) find a poorly written article and enjoy the personal approach and injection of personality. You can keep your straight, hyper professional approach for the other sites. Call me sad but Nintendo life is always the first sitebi load up when I open the browser

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

@ZachBeacon Nope. Just scroll down some on the eShop page. "Space Requirements" lists the space required and the space you have available. It will pop up a green checkmark if you are okay on space, or a red X if not. It's right there on the EShop page for each game. :)