Sega Still Considering Its Options For The Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

"Sega would like to clarify a statement that was issued over Twitter"

Last week we reported on some comments made by Sega producer Yosuke Okunari on Twitter regarding the company's plans for the Wii U Virtual Console. Sega previously supported the retro gaming service on the original Wii, but has so far failed to update any of its catalogue for Nintendo's latest home console. Okunari stated that the firm had no plans to release anything, and told concerned fans to "introduce your hope into Sega West."

Sega has now issued an official statement related to these comments, and shared it with our friends over at Eurogamer:

Sega would like to clarify a statement that was issued over Twitter. All options are currently on the table concerning development for the Wii U Virtual Console. Although there are no immediate plans, this does not negate the possibility and exploration of creating for this platform.

It would seem that Sega is very much keeping its options open, but this will come as scant consultation to those Wii U owners who are desperate to play gems like Streets of Rage II and Shining Force on their GamePads.

[via eurogamer.net]

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Seems like standard backpedaling, but that's fine I guess. Still holding out to play some old favorites like Shining Force 2 and Phantasy Star IV on the 'Pad.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Good to know. I wonder if they'd just put out a Wii U version of the Ultimate Megadrive Collection. It has all the classics, built in save states and even some neat background info on the games. Maybe they feel the market for individual megadrive/master system games on VC is too small now thanks to those collections. You can buy it new for less than the price of two SNES VC games.

Saturn and Dreamcast games are a whole other story however. I'm pretty surprised there's still no officially emulated version of Sega Rally on any service. Would love to have all the Panzer Dragoon games too, plus Burning Rangers and Shining Force III from the Saturn. While a lot of the great Dreamcast games have made it to XBLA and PSN, still missing Shenmue and Toy Commander.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

I hope this helps get things moving. I think everyone who has been interested has already played the retro titles, get some GBA games announced, Sega!! :D

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

16 of my top 20 dream VC releases are Sega VC games. Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, PSIV, Shining Force 2 and Blue Stinger (An arcade RE??) to name a few.
So many great games that could be revisited too. Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Vectorman and some much needed updates to both Phantasy Star and Shining Force.
Golden Axe was a pretty crappy remake, though I'm sure Altered Beast could be worthwhile. More so than the original anyways.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Naturally, the other 4 are Nintendo, not some weird system like 3DO, Turbographx or Atari Lynx / Jaguar.
Those coveted games being Evangelion 64, Terranigma, the original Mother (Earthbound Zero is a great fanslation) and...
wait for it..
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
Ok, so pretty typical answer, but the game was fun and tough as nails with hundreds of hours of replay value. Once you discovered that each death impacts the narrative, that is.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I have the feeling the "hopes were introduced" and quite a bit if they felt the need to clarify this pubblically XP

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

I always fear for the future of VC. It needs to be everlasting and unfragmented with as many of yesteryear's games as Nintendo can muster for its retro loving fans.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

I don't know, I'm starting to think Nintendo and Sega look at the VC as there is no problem, all the games are there already, just in Wii mode, which at the end of the day does mean they are all already on the WiiU. I've given up on vc on the eshop and buy the odd game from the Wii shop and play them in Wii mode.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I dont care for Sega anymore. If I want one of their old titles I can buy it on Wii or 3DS.

I do want more VC games though (looking at you Konami)

River3636

River3636 said:

Well I wish for Dreamcast and Saturn games on Wii u. The classics would be nice from the master system, I do have the ones I want on wii mode, but there's something about playing them on the game pad that makes it hello awesome. They should definitely look into Dreamcast and Saturn games on it.

River3636

River3636 said:

Skies of Arcadia I love that game never played it on Dreamcast , but I spent at least a 100 hours on the gamecube version

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

Any sonic games are Day1 for me. Vectorman, Beyond Oasis and comix zone are as well. I'd totally like any game of Saturn as well. We could get Symphony of the night and Megaman X4 if saturn was there :O.

Artwark

Artwark said:

@LexKitteh besides sonic advance trilogy and Gunstar Heroes, I don't know of any other Sega GBA game that I would want......

Vriess

Vriess said:

They're going from "no way in hell" to "if there is a hell, then there may be a way". Not much difference to me...

Sega and other older publishers should have their butts kicked for not releasing more VC games!! How many resources would it take to port an old game to the Wii U? Ok, I think that most VC games don't generate that much revenue, but I am sure that the costs of porting them over can be covered and that companies should see it as fan service and a form of marketing. The old games need to be kept fresh for us old school gamers AND for the younger generations. My kids love the NES, SNES and Mega Drive games, but that's thanks to me and not thanks to Sega...

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Peach64 I sometimes wonder if Sega are allergic to my money when they refuse to re-release Sega Rally. It was the sole reason I bought a Saturn and I bet there are plenty of 30-somethings that would rebuy. Maybe all the Castrol, Lancia and Toyota stuff means there are too many licencing issues.

Which reminds me, what happened to 90s arcade racer? The last I heard it was coming out in June and that the director of the game hated Wii U.....

Link506

Link506 said:

Hoping that this includes sonic 4, cuz I really want to pay that game in HD

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Crack Down please and other classic arcade titles - including the vector graphics stuff!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've been increasingly willing to pay for Mega Drive classics. As a SNES kid back in the day, my experience with that console was extremely limited - but I'm not booting Wii Mode for that; no, sir.

I did own a Master System though, and it would be quite cool to play its games again.

Either way, I'd be all over SEGA games on my Wii U. I hope it happens.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Though I'd like to see Genesis games come to the Wii U VC, I'd be much more interested in Dreamcast games. It's probably not very likely, especially when Nintendo hasn't even put their own 3D systems on the service, but I can get Genesis games on the Wii VC, and I've played very few Dreamcast games.

lerobadey

lerobadey said:

My dream is both N64 Goemon games on the VC. But Nintendo needs to enable N64 games and Konami needs to be kind enough to put it there.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I want to play Sonic 3, ToeJam & Earl anf Phantasy Star IV on the gamepad. Also, i would absolutely love it if Dreamcast games were eventually on there. I know it's a longshot, but i wanna play Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue and Crazy Taxi again!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I picked up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection) for the Xbox and quickly discovered that most of the Sega stuff just wasn't enjoyable for me. The controls were too loose and the gameplay mostly was arcade style gaming (designed with punishing difficulty to encourage quarter spending). Of all the games showcased, only the Phantasy Star, Comix Zone and the Shining Series stood out for me. Most of the others I played solely to unlock the requirements to get the achievements or hidden games.

I tend to have more fond memories of the Game Gear (and Master System by extension) because those games looked so much better than the NES/Game Boy at the time.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

@Darknyht I can relate. I picked up the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 because I remember loving Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast (and I had Sega Geneis Collection for the PS2). I felt I only played Sonic's largely to get the trophies (easiest platinum trophy ever).

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

I just want their back catalogue of arcade games to be put uo on the VC.
Heck, virtua tennis with motion controlls would be awessome.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

If I said it once before with SEGA , then I will keep saying it until I'm as blue in the face as their logo. It would be great if SEGA were to release SEGA CD & SEGA SATURN games on the Wii U VC. Dreamcast games would be a cool addition also, but I'm not so sure if the limitations of a Dreamcast game would fit into the size limit for a Wii U VC game tbh. Although, I do agree with some others that the GBA Sonic Advance games would be cool to have on the Wii U eShop.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Sega really devalued their 16-bit back catalog with their collection disks and Steam bundles so I've never really paid attention to their comparatively high priced VC offerings. You can get 40-50 Sega games elsewhere for the price of just 2-3 games on the VC! That said, I'd definitely pick up some rarer games such as Castlevania Bloodlines and Megaman Wily Wars if they made a VC appearance.

Ark

Ark said:

@3DSLUIGI
Do VC games still have a file size restriction? I thought all size issues were abolished with the advent of the eShop. It seems silly since Nintendo's own NES games have increased significantly in size since the Wii.

Aside from that, I'm inclined to believe Sega could get Dreamcast games on Wii U fairly easily given the numerous DC games on both the 360 and PS3...if not forced to implement many actual VC features and allowed to use the occasional modified PC version, of course. I doubt Saturn games, however, given the difficulty required to emulate the system's awkward architecture even to this day.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I just wish the internet would stop treating "no plans" as "never planning to". They are not the same!

MAB

MAB said:

Nintendo fans should be more worried about why Nintendo doesn't want to release their library of good VC games ;)

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Just do it Sega. Although, all the Sega Genesis game I want I already have on the Wii VC. Some on the 360 as well.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Sega man you're going to die you should sell everything to nintendo already.Now time to wait until they make a decision.

rtr0GMR1

rtr0GMR1 said:

I went on Sega's website and submitted a request for Wii U VC support when I read the tweet the other day

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@Unca_Lz
if most gamers were good using their common sense as good as they are mastering a game, we wouldnt have that problem. its select hearing

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Yes! Me want all Sonic classics in 3D for 3DS! It also would be awesome to try out other SEGA gems on my Wii U and 3DS! ;)

joey302

joey302 said:

Why would they sign with Nintendo for a 3-game deal for retail exclusives and NOT tie in a vc deal??? SEGA is sitting on a MOUNTAIN of classics and are missing out on serious $$$! What the hell? 6 million wii u owners who are STARVING for games to play isn't reason enough??? C'mon SEGA get your crap together!!!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Please, Shining Force 3 on Wii U! I will reply them. I also want Sky of Arcadia as I have not played it before.

Vhyper1985

Vhyper1985 said:

Can only really echo (or is that ecco ;) ) what others have already said, I think Sega's missing a big opportunity not bringing their games out on the VC.. Having a selection from Sega's full back catalogue would be amazing, moreso if they included the Sega CD (Sonic CD & Snatcher anyone?) as well as Saturn & Dreamcast especially since games on those systems have been going up in value to ridiculous levels for some titles recently... It would also make the wait for N64 & the possibility of Gamecube titles more bearable too.... Also to go off on a tangent what happened to the Neo Geo & PC Engine/Turbografx stuff? ... I know Japan has the PC Engine on VC already...